The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
stooriebloo

Battle of Loos Commemorative Strip

Rate this topic

Jist a few questions wi the anniversary of the Battle of Loos coming up near the end o' September.                                                                       

Does anyone ken if the club are still bringing an anniversary strip opt,

If so when,

Will the team wear it fer the game nearest the anniversary  i,e the Ross County on the 26th,

And will it be on general sale at the club shop.

I really hope the strip is available to the fans and not just a limited edition.

Really looking forward to this commemoration, massive respect to the boys of the 4/5th Black Watch and their families.

Edited by Gnasher

Personally think a white shirt with black watch tartan trim would have made a great away shirt for a season long tribute.

• Like 2

Got to be Bill, as it was the boys of Dundee and Perth that comprised the 4/5th Black Watch that fought at Loos (pronounced 'Loss') and sacraficed their lives. My Grandfather fought with the 4th at Loos and later won the Military Medal at the Somme, his medal is proudly displayed at Dalhousie Castle.

http://www.greatwardundee.com/at-the-front/battle-of-loos/

• Like 4

Personally think a white shirt with black watch tartan trim would have made a great away shirt for a season long tribute.

That would have been a great tribute Ivan, hope the club do our boys proud when the time comes.

Am I correct in thinking that this has never been confirmed by the club?

Only ever mentioned on here..

Not sure Boba, cutting it a bit fine now ...

The anniversary is the 25th September. I'll be up on the Law at 06:30 for the ceremony and I encourage all Dundonians to be there to remember our boys.

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2015/09/01/events-planned-to-remember-dundonians-who-fought-in-the-battle-of-loos/

Edited by Gnasher

Got to be Bill, as it was the boys of Dundee and Perth that comprised the 4/5th Black Watch that fought at Loos (pronounced 'Loss') and sacraficed their lives. My Grandfather fought with the 4th at Loos and later won the Military Medal at the Somme, his medal is proudly displayed at Dalhousie Castle.

http://www.greatwardundee.com/at-the-front/battle-of-loos/

I thank Your Grandad and his fallen comrades

Bravo

That would have been a great tribute Ivan, hope the club do our boys proud when the time comes.

Just seen the Scotland Rugby shirts for the World Cup. Something along the lines of the away would have been a great change strip for us

Just seen the Scotland Rugby shirts for the World Cup. Something along the lines of the away would have been a great change strip for us

Could do without them being as skin tight as those rugby tops Ivan!! :lol:

That's the modern world pal. Everyone seems to be one of those dicks walking about with a shake bottle.

Bring back the every man I say. The. At least I'll get some clothes to fit again :(

That's the modern world pal. Everyone seems to be one of those dicks walking about with a shake bottle.

Bring back the every man I say. The. At least I'll get some clothes to fit again :(

Bring back the mitchelin man!! :lol:

xxxlDFCsupporters club!!

Bibendum also did his bit for the war effort during WWI

bib_army.gif

Edited by Gnasher

Ha ha do what I do and go for the maternity version and breathe in mate :-)

Dundee Football Club is giving away 3000 tickets to Scotland’s ex-service and serving men and women to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Loos.

The club will pay tribute to the 7,000 Scottish soldiers who lost their lives in the World War One battle with a special commemorative home match against Ross County on Saturday, September 26.

Dundee FC Managing Director John Nelms met with Major Ronnie Proctor, Secretary of the Black Watch Association, at the city’s war memorial on The Law to launch the match, part of a weekend-long programme of national commemorations hosted in the city.

Dundee was a key recruiting area of the Black Watch regiment, which suffered significant casualties at Loos. The Home team will be playing in a commemorative strip featuring the Black Watch Tartan and regimental badge in remembrance.

The Battle of Loos was one of the largest British battles of the First World War and never before had so many Scottish soldiers been in the field at the same time.

Around 30,000 Scots from all eleven of Scotland’s infantry regiments served at Loos, and of the 21,000 British soldiers killed at Loos, more than 7,000 were Scottish. The battle’s effects were felt throughout the country, but the city of Dundee was particularly affected.

The 4th Battalion of the Black Watch, also known as ‘Dundee’s own’, suffered huge losses at Loos, with 57% of men being killed or seriously wounded on the first day of battle.

Each year on the morning of September 25, the beacon at the top of the city’s war memorial on The Law shines to remember the battalion’s heroic dead and this year it will mark the start of the weekend’s centenary commemorations, including Saturday’s match.

Mr Nelms said: â€œThe club would like to invite all service men and women, both former and current, along to our commemorative match to help us remember the soldiers from across Scotland who lost their lives at Loos.â€

Any military personnel or veterans wishing to attend can claim up to four free tickets by producing proof of service at the Ticket Office at Dens Park stadium.

Tickets will be available to collect from today  right up until the day of the match. Please note tickets are subject to availability and due to the limited numbers will be on a first come first served basis.

Nae strip then?

Aye, there is.. 

"The Home team will be playing in a commemorative strip featuring the Black Watch Tartan and regimental badge in remembrance"

Edited by Boba Fett