The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Ludo*1

Top 20 Dundee FC People

Rate this topic

The purpose of this thread is just a bit of fun, no seriousness in it at all. It might well flop and not work out and that's fine.

Basically, private message me (Click on my name at the side of this thread, and then click on the button that says 'message' on the next page) your top 10 Dundee 'people'. Now I've purposely said 'top' so it doesn't have to be legends such as your Bobby Cox's or your Gilzean's, nor does it have to be your favourites or cult heroes or players (Or terrible players/goalkeepers for that matter!) that only played 10 games or were caretaker manager for a stint, it doesn't matter, just what ever you interpret as who you liked and is in your top 10! I also put 'people' instead of player or manager as it can be either, really doesn't matter!

Please don't post your top 10 on the thread itself as it'd give the game away, but if you absolutely feel the need to post your 10 on here, I won't stop you, it just spoils the fun a wee bit!

Once I've got a decent amount of votes in through PM/a specific deadline I'll do a countdown of who the poster's of The Dark Blues' forum's 'Top 20 Dee's' are and do a little write-up on their time at Dens (Or at least try to!)

When you're PM'ing me - Order it from 1-10 if you can, with 1 being your 'top' and 10 being the lowest of your 'top' Dee as I'll be allocating each individual points for eg, 1st = 10 points, 10th = 1 point.

I wonder, if this does work, if we'll see a mix of bona fide legends or a smattering of cult heroes, anyways, get your votes in! I'll make the deadline the 10th September, so over a week to get your personal top 10 in a private message to me!

Had a good few entries so far, keep it up, the more the better!

Yeah that's no worries. Any Dee, doesn't matter their role.

Anyone that dedicates there efforts and time raising money for youth development Alison McQueen Jim glennie davie Craig and me of course

Bump!

To be honest, I'd completely forgot all about this. Since this will be the first time many have seen this, get your top ten's into me and I'll start the list from Monday in which I'll reveal 1 or 2!

So get your lists in!

Deadline: 6pm Sunday.

This has been revived from the dead!

Have to say, disappointingly, none of the mods took part despite me firing them a message, poor show - Except for Chomp that is! 

I've tallied up the marks and just about to begin my write-ups, safe to say, thanks for the amount of nominations that were sent in. Few shocks on the list, as you'll soon see. Remember, it's about favourites, not about best.

I've also bent the original rules slightly, in that I've only counted people who played, coached, or managed Dundee as the number of votes was immense, and more than I'd originally expected to get.

Sorry for the delay!

MainStandMenace, on 14 Jan 2016 - 4:34 PM, said:

I just noticed this one Ludo, I've fired mine across just there..

Counted your list, but that's voting now closed!

20. Morten Wieghorst.

200294-tennents-scottish-cup-fourth-roun

Just managing to claim a place on the list is the big Dane that is Morten Wieghorst. Played 90 games for the Dee's (All figures will be quoted from Wikipedia, so a few bound to be wrong along the way), notching 11 goals in the process. When he arrived at Dens, little was known about Wieghorst other than the fact he was a full international for the Denmark national team, but it was an exciting signing nonetheless as eagle-eyed fans at the time had noticed that he was involved in a Champions League Qualifier for his old side Lyngby FC, against Rangers just a few months before.

Perhaps his most famous moment in a Dark Blue shirt was his involvement in this game, with a goal that sent Dundee fans wild as he netted the final penalty to send us through to the Semi-Finals of the Scottish Cup:

Wieghorst broke the hearts of Dundee fans everywhere though as after little over 2 years at the club, he left for Celtic, a deal which will go down as the one that seen us swap a cult hero for a future legend.

The big Dane has went on to become a respected coach, and seems to be a firm 'hopeful' in the fans eyes to be Dundee manager one day. And with a successful stint in his homeland whilst in charge of FC Nordsjaelland (Knocking QotS out of their only stint in Europe) before going on to manage Denmark's U21's and become assistant to Michael Laudrup in the EPL to Swansea, it seems that he may have all the potential to be an even better coach than he was a player. 

• Like 4

LOVED that Ludo. Love Weighorst. Still my favourite game ever!

• Like 1

If I remember correctly his debut was an incredible 4-4 game against the Saintees at McDairmid where he scored a worldy and Ron Dixon was promising the earth after it :(

I hope someone from behind the scenes like Issy Sneddon has made your list Ludo. A massive part of Dundee FC for a number of years.

Pablothedee, on 14 Jan 2016 - 10:20 PM, said:

If I remember correctly his debut was an incredible 4-4 game against the Saintees at McDairmid where he scored a worldy and Ron Dixon was promising the earth after it :(

I hope someone from behind the scenes like Issy Sneddon has made your list Ludo. A massive part of Dundee FC for a number of years.

If I remember correctly, Issy was the closest non-footballer to make the list. I can't remember if she officially made it or not, but as I said, I decided to go with just players/coaches/managers as there was a lot of names on the original list.