Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Top 20 Dundee FC People

Ludo*1

• 2 months later...

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

This has been revived from the dead!

Have to say, disappointingly, none of the mods took part despite me firing them a message, poor show - Except for Chomp that is! 

I've tallied up the marks and just about to begin my write-ups, safe to say, thanks for the amount of nominations that were sent in. Few shocks on the list, as you'll soon see. Remember, it's about favourites, not about best.

I've also bent the original rules slightly, in that I've only counted people who played, coached, or managed Dundee as the number of votes was immense, and more than I'd originally expected to get.

Sorry for the delay!

20. Morten Wieghorst.

200294-tennents-scottish-cup-fourth-roun

Just managing to claim a place on the list is the big Dane that is Morten Wieghorst. Played 90 games for the Dee's (All figures will be quoted from Wikipedia, so a few bound to be wrong along the way), notching 11 goals in the process. When he arrived at Dens, little was known about Wieghorst other than the fact he was a full international for the Denmark national team, but it was an exciting signing nonetheless as eagle-eyed fans at the time had noticed that he was involved in a Champions League Qualifier for his old side Lyngby FC, against Rangers just a few months before.

Perhaps his most famous moment in a Dark Blue shirt was his involvement in this game, with a goal that sent Dundee fans wild as he netted the final penalty to send us through to the Semi-Finals of the Scottish Cup:

Wieghorst broke the hearts of Dundee fans everywhere though as after little over 2 years at the club, he left for Celtic, a deal which will go down as the one that seen us swap a cult hero for a future legend.

The big Dane has went on to become a respected coach, and seems to be a firm 'hopeful' in the fans eyes to be Dundee manager one day. And with a successful stint in his homeland whilst in charge of FC Nordsjaelland (Knocking QotS out of their only stint in Europe) before going on to manage Denmark's U21's and become assistant to Michael Laudrup in the EPL to Swansea, it seems that he may have all the potential to be an even better coach than he was a player. 

If I remember correctly his debut was an incredible 4-4 game against the Saintees at McDairmid where he scored a worldy and Ron Dixon was promising the earth after it :(

I hope someone from behind the scenes like Issy Sneddon has made your list Ludo. A massive part of Dundee FC for a number of years.

Pablothedee, on 14 Jan 2016 - 10:20 PM, said:

If I remember correctly his debut was an incredible 4-4 game against the Saintees at McDairmid where he scored a worldy and Ron Dixon was promising the earth after it :(

I hope someone from behind the scenes like Issy Sneddon has made your list Ludo. A massive part of Dundee FC for a number of years.

If I remember correctly, Issy was the closest non-footballer to make the list. I can't remember if she officially made it or not, but as I said, I decided to go with just players/coaches/managers as there was a lot of names on the original list.

19. Fabian Caballero.

Fabian-Caballero-5-vass.jpg

'He came down from Heaven, to wear number seven...'

In his two stints at Dens, he totalled 111 appearances scoring 21 goals. None were considered more enjoyable than the two rockets he put past Stefan Klos in a game that was dubbed as the warm up to our Scottish Cup final in 2003:

Caballero is left as a tale of 'what could have been?' as before he was brutally taken out in that Derby game, he genuinely looked like one of the classiest players seen in the city of Dundee. He came back still a hero, but he only showed in glimpses his true quality that seen him rock up at Arsenal as a youngster. A genius that went on to have an underwhelming career in which outwith ourselves, he had a 20 year career never playing more than 30 games for another club. A disappointing end to such a true talent, and it's rare that you find such a talent that genuinely buys into a small club like ours, but I like to at least think that big Fabian did.

Nowadays, he looks to be getting involved in politics, at least that'll put an end to the constant speculation about his next return to Dens...

Thanks for the memories, Fabian...

26-05-2015-Julian-Speroni-Testimonial-dy

18. Tommy Coyne.

miFJgyrDylec9vDZid5iZcg.jpg

Probably Dundee's favourite player to have ever worn a United shirt. There's arguably not been a striker like Coyne at Dens since he left. In his first stint he played 89 times and scored 50 goals, unfortunately in his second he never found the target despite 18 attempts. He'll perhaps go down as Jocky Scott's greatest ever signing and when it was announced, the fans were less than impressed, after Coyne had been deemed a dud at Tannadice. It'd be a decision they'd come to regret...

If you wanted extended highlights of that above match you can see them here: Link.

Coyne, like many Dundee heroes, broke many a heart by going to Celtic, but he forged out a decent career himself and appeared for Republic of Ireland 22 times in his career, notching 6 goals, all of which were after his first stint at Dens and before his second.

For such a distinguished player, it remains a mystery that despite being top scorer in Scotland whilst at three different clubs (Ourselves, Celtic and Motherwell) that he never picked up any silverware during his career. He may have achieved something better than that though, he achieved the legendary status and his name will live on.

Adblock Detected