The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkBlues

Politics Forum Permanently Removed

Rate this topic

Hi Darkblues,

We are implementing a change in our policy regarding the discussion of politics, the creation of political topics on the TheDarkblues.co.uk.

After a lot of thought and deliberation regarding the discussion of politics and topics of a political nature, TheDarkblues.co.uk has decided to place a ban on the discussion of politics, religion and other controversial discussions as of today. These discussion types have been classed as the 'Holy Trinity of community wreckers' and we understand why.

This forum is dedicated to one thing and one thing only, Dundee FC. Yes we have other area's that allow a more general discussion of other topics, however, we have never had any issues with those forums.

I created this website because I felt that we Dee supporters didn't have a real home and I wanted to create an environment in which anyone could join and feel welcomed, respected and most of all, enjoy the company of their fellow Dee. However, due to the 'Politics, News And Debate' forum this hasn't been the case for a while. It has become quite apparent that there has been a growing amount animosity between a handful of people, either due to their politics, total lack of respect to other people opinions and also the few personal vendetta's which carry over to the other forums (in some cases other websites) and we cannot allow that to continue for the sake of our amazing community.

I can only apologise to those members who will be affected by this decision, who did use this area of the forum to genuinely participate and join in the discussion like adults without resorting to petty squabbling. I'm sorry that a few have taken that away from you.

We will not be reopening the 'Politics, News and Debate' forum under any circumstance, now or in the future (We may consider replacing this with 'Yoga, Tai chi and Fly Fishing for Beginners').

I found this blog 'Top 5 reasons why you shouldn't post about politics on Facebook, which I found very fitting:

1. You could lose a friend. Friends should be able to discuss political issues calmly and diplomatically…in person! Most people hide behind their computers and post things they would never say face to face.
  2. You could lose a client. It’s not business, it’s personal…right? Bull crap! If a client feels strongly about a political issue and I go on Facebook and post something totally derogatory or counter to what they believe, they might take a different view of me personally and professionally. I want my clients to like me. People do business with people they know, like and trust. Period.
  3. It’s a waste of time. You’re not going to change someone’s political beliefs on Facebook. You can debate and debate, but you’re just wasting your time. People are different and believe different things. Accept it, agree to disagree and move on. Life’s too short. Let your vote be your voice.
  4. It’s the wrong platform. If you’re bound and determined to spend time arguing over political issues online, go to a political blog or a news site and do so. Don’t ruin everyone’s experience on Facebook with your rants. You may have a specific list of friends on FB that you only share political information with, but you never know what someone else might share.
  5. There’s enough politics in the media. One of the reasons I use Facebook is to laugh, have fun and converse with my friends and family. I don’t use it to get worked up or stressed out over something I see that I disagree with. There’s enough political coverage in the mainstream media. More than enough. Keep it there and leave the politics to the pundits.

If you wish to discuss Dundee FC and similar matters, have a bit of fun and a laugh, you have come to the right place. If you wish to express and impose your political beliefs, have deep heated arguments while not respecting other people then you are in the wrong place.

For politics: Visit Here

If you wish to exercise your freedom of speech: Signup here, download this and knock yourself out :)

Thank you for your understanding on this matter.

The Darkblues Forum