The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Ivan Drago

Most Underrated Dees

Rate this topic

A lot of topics on here are around the best or worst of something we've seen.

Bit different here, who's the most underrated player we've had in your time. Imagine this will cause a fair bit of debate!

Four that spring to mind for me are

Piotr Czachowski - the one that got away IMO. Absolute player

Kiko Torres - amidst all the lunacy of the Bonnetti era he was a really effective and un-flashy mid

Garry Brady - very creative

Kevin McBride - criminally over vilified

Ivano the player. The hardest man on the team to replace when he packed in. Best crosser of a ball I have ever seen at Dens and a total winner. Beto Carranza was good but not a patch on Ivano.

Ian McCall. Total waste of talent to drink away his career and to get sacked after the shoe and boat incidents. One of the best long passers I have seen at Dens. Absolute wand of a left foot. I'd have loved to have seen an uninjured Ian Durrant and a sober Ian McColl play for Rangers they had the talent and potential to become legends of the game. Collins and McStay across the city weren't in the same league but McStay stayed fit, Collins had a better attitude and they have well over 100 caps between them.

Edited by Caniggia33

A lot of topics on here are around the best or worst of something we've seen.

Bit different here, who's the most underrated player we've had in your time. Imagine this will cause a fair bit of debate!

Four that spring to mind for me are

Piotr Czachowski - the one that got away IMO. Absolute player

Kiko Torres - amidst all the lunacy of the Bonnetti era he was a really effective and un-flashy mid

Garry Brady - very creative

From your list I'd completely agree about Kevin McBride being vilified, it took me a while to see what he did for us but once I did I rarely had a bad word for him. Basically a 'council house' Kevin Thomson and I mean no disrespect by saying that, a fit KT makes a big difference to our team, McBride did the same job in a poorer team. 

I'll have a think about who else, off the top of my head Brian Kerr, although his career after he left us suggests he was on the decline.

I thought Ray Stephen and Iain Ferguson were excellent for Dundee when I first started watching the team but they rarely get a mention nowadays.

Vince Mennie was nowhere near as bad as legend suggests. We've had a lot worse since.

Paul Tosh was fantastic for us but doesn't get a lot of love.

Ivano the player. The hardest man on the team to replace when he packed in. Best crosser of a ball I have ever seen at Dens and a total winner. Beto Carranza was good but not a patch on Ivano.

Ivano was a class act as a player. That goal at Pittodrie on CC's debut has been completely overshadowed due to what followed but was a touch of class.

Also recall in a derby him doing keepy ups at the corner flag protecting the ball before overhead kicking it to clear. Think it was in the you've only got 2 points Halloween CC and Georgi derby.

Tosh was great to watch on the right wing.

Just wasn't as good or complete as McCann on the left.

2 wingers and entertaining football.

100% - Ivano was a brilliant player

Dont think alot of Dees appreciated Curier which i found baffling.

Eric Paton was underated imo - was a big fan of him , would put some of our injury fairy players to shame as Paton played through the pain barrier a good few times for the Dee.

Do you never read my posts Cobra!

Tosh was brilliant for us. Pacey and direct, basically what we are missing just now!

• Like 1

Chris coyne and mark Robertson were decent but didn't get many chances after ivano arrived

Gary MacKenzie was / is a terrific player in my book. He got a lot of flack from our support for being left in terrible situations from those in front of him.

John McQuillan was another player I rated that no one else seemed to...

More recently, Jim McAlister. Lots of headless chicken and all will / no skill shouts but I for one thought Jim was a very important player for us during our first season back up in the top flight. Pretty sure that has already been evident this year and really disappointed with the way his time at Dens ended.

I must be physic, because once I saw the title I knew you were going to mention him :lol2:

But, I agree, he was a lot better than people made him out to be.

Beto Garrido. Under the radar with all the top names we signed at the time, but a very skilful player.

Loads of good shouts here.

Paul Tosh - yes many were better, but as underrated you can't argue.

I'd also agree with Chris Coyne, he was a very decent defender, as was Gary MacKenzie.

Iain Ferguson always seems to be forgotten when we talk of seriously good frontmen (and yes, I know he ended up tainted and he was lazy and he was shyte when he returned...).

However from the shouts above I'd go Ray Stephen or Graham Harvey, both were overshadowed by being followed by Wright and Coyne, even though they were very different players.

And I'd add another tainted in Jim Hamilton. He never had much in the way of skill, but he used his attributes really well and always gave 100%, as well as getting more than his share of goals and when they mattered too.

This is all far too recent, so here goes, pensioners....

Alex Kinninmonth .....the "quiet man" of the 60's side

Sammy Wilson :chin: ......I always thought he looked ancient, but all that baldness was (allegedly) due to endless practice to perfect his incredible "passing skills" with his heid..!!

....over to you, Rio / GeeDee ?

and Joe "Bilsland" Gilroy .....oh wait, you said under-rated :rolleyes:

Paul McHale. There was one point under Rae when I thought he was our best midfielder - and we had Kevin Mac and Scott Robertson coming through. He obviously didn't have as much ability as either, but I thought he was unnecessary vilified because he kept one or the other out of the team and has carried a bad rep since when he was in fact decent enough for us!

Jamie Adams - Was an absolute rock for us in his short stint. His goal against Partick Thistle brought wild celebrations but ever since I've checked online, he's never had the most glowing of reviews by Dee's. Up until about the point where he'd dropped out of football completely I'd have taken him as our first choice 'warrior' player. He was the type that would run through a brick wall - literally - probably why he had so many injury problems!