The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Gnasher

The Cheviot, The Stag and The Black, Black Oil

Rate this topic

Now showing at The Rep, anyone booked up yet ?

The play, written by John McGrath, charts the travails of the Scottish working class from the land clearances of the 19th Century to the North Sea oil boom of the 1970s.

http://www.dundeerep.co.uk/

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/lifestyle/entertainment/arts/dundee-rep-s-the-cheviot-the-stag-and-the-black-black-oil-feels-really-current-1.899286

I remember this from when it first started doing the rounds.

I don't know if it's been updated, but it#s generally anti-government (which at the time, was only ever 'British'...)

very hard hitting and also funny in places.

Never did see this first time round ..... but of course read all about it at the time.

Looks like this more updated version is the business. Also going to pick up a great deal of praise and positive reviews from theatre critics.

Having watched two plays at the Rep  (a long time ago) I decided live plays were no' for me. That said, I reckon this would be worth seeing.

Does anyone know, if this would ever go on tour around Scotland? Or is it exclusive to the Dundee Rep. Sure it could attract a big audience.

Went to see it tonight, it was brilliant,great stories based on facts through the centuries.

A must see if you have any interest in Scotland's history.