Would You Give A Penalty?

Rate this topic

Penalty decision  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give a penalty?

• Award a penalty
    • Award a free-kick and book the striker for diving
    • Wave play on

A striker surges into the box. The defender dives in but mistimes the challenge and misses the ball. The striker anticipates the foul and can carry on but falls to the ground claiming a penalty. What would you do as the ref?

Way too complex scenario for an aye/naw call. 

Personally I'd like to see all cheats/timber shifters/fakers red carded out of the game but its got to come from the top. Same with mobbing the Ref and stealing yards at free kicks/throw ins, if the governing bodies gave the guidelines to Refs to slap the players down with all this stuff we wouldn't have all the 'simulation' etc. A lesson could be learned from rugby here.

If 'I' was the Ref I'd go with award the kick and dish the cheat a card but I'd prefer red, make the managers make their players play by the rules and stop feckin' cheating. Its us paying customers that are being short changed.

Award the penalty

I agree mate but the consensus on Match of the Day tonight was that a penalty should not be awarded if a player goes down before contact happens. In my opinion, if the defender commits the foul, it's acceptable for the attacker to go down to make the referee's job easier.

I agree mate but the consensus on Match of the Day tonight was that a penalty should not be awarded if a player goes down before contact happens. In my opinion, if the defender commits the foul, it's acceptable for the attacker to go down to make the referee's job easier.

Fair enough but I see that as falling into the 'gamesmanship' category, I want to see a free flowing, hard fought game of football, I don't want to see guys falling over 'tactically'. Going slightly off topic, I've seen loads of opinions about the good old bad old days on the terraces and how much that side is missed, I just want to see good old fashioned 'honest' football, hey, if we restart it in Scotland maybe we could market our game to the rest of the world as a novelty, it might even catch on.

Fair enough but I see that as falling into the 'gamesmanship' category, I want to see a free flowing, hard fought game of football, I don't want to see guys falling over 'tactically'. Going slightly off topic, I've seen loads of opinions about the good old bad old days on the terraces and how much that side is missed, I just want to see good old fashioned 'honest' football, hey, if we restart it in Scotland maybe we could market our game to the rest of the world as a novelty, it might even catch on.

I agree with you to an extent Chomp but if a defender wildly mistimes his challenge in the box, and an attacker goes out of his way to stay on his feet but at the same time throws away the chance to score, he might protect his integrity but he also damages his own team's chances of scoring a goal.

While Pawlett's behaviour at Dens was deplorable, do we really want Stewart to stay on his feet when he's fouled just because he can?

I agree with you to an extent Chomp but if a defender wildly mistimes his challenge in the box, and an attacker goes out of his way to stay on his feet but at the same time throws away the chance to score, he might protect his integrity but he also damages his own team's chances of scoring a goal.

While Pawlett's behaviour at Dens was deplorable, do we really want Stewart to stay on his feet when he's fouled just because he can?

I totally follow your logic, this is why we have penalties/free kicks but for me the balance has gone too far the other way, if a player feels contact, some of them drop straight away, no attempt to entertain us chimps who pay good money to watch the game. Ultimately football is entertainment, I know some of us don't quite see it in the same vein as being made to watch crap 'burd' telly but I'd rather watch a documentary than rom/com. I know they all do it but if footballers were made to stay on their feet instead of diving I think we'd be watching a better spectacle week in week out, both live and on TV.

I totally follow your logic, this is why we have penalties/free kicks but for me the balance has gone too far the other way, if a player feels contact, some of them drop straight away, no attempt to entertain us chimps who pay good money to watch the game. Ultimately football is entertainment, I know some of us don't quite see it in the same vein as being made to watch crap 'burd' telly but I'd rather watch a documentary than rom/com. I know they all do it but if footballers were made to stay on their feet instead of diving I think we'd be watching a better spectacle week in week out, both live and on TV.

Players going down with minimal contact is unacceptable. I just think that if there is a robust challenge that could easily take you down but you struggle to stay up and risk losing your opportunity to score thus giving the ref an opportunity to wave play on, you do your own team no favours.

Strangely, when I think back to playing as a winger myself to a fairly high level (not boasting before anyone has a pop at me) I don't ever remember even thinking about diving. When I went down in the box it was because I was scythed down and knew little about it. Diving just wasn't in my mentality. It didn't happen back then.

That two hands up and feet lifted off the ground is no natural when your taking a tumble, goes against a normal reaction when falling where you try to protect yourself IMHO.

Players going down with minimal contact is unacceptable. I just think that if there is a robust challenge that could easily take you down but you struggle to stay up and risk losing your opportunity to score thus giving the ref an opportunity to wave play on, you do your own team no favours.

Strangely, when I think back to playing as a winger myself to a fairly high level (not boasting before anyone has a pop at me) I don't ever remember even thinking about diving. When I went down in the box it was because I was scythed down and knew little about it. Diving just wasn't in my mentality. It didn't happen back then.

I hear you mate, and if all players were playing fair then it would be a 'no brainer', a penalty or free kick but we've got these cynical whiney guys who seem to get targeted by the stadium sniper. I just feel we as fans would get a better product if grown men playing a physical game just got on with it.

I take my hat off to you for playing football to a good level, I was a rugby boy to a fairly crap level, I knew I was too lazy to be really good at it and I wasn't aggressive enough with it, I found it a bit artificial, boys slapping themselves in the pus to get worked up etc, I found it all a bit false. We're a funny bunch us people.

That two hands up and feet lifted off the ground is no natural when your taking a tumble, goes against a normal reaction when falling where you try to protect yourself IMHO.

There is an 'artificial look'  :rolleyes:  when some guys go down, no matter how much contact is made. We have/had have our share. Its a difficult one, if 'everyone else' is doing it.....although I'd rather take a unilateral stance personally, once the Refs realise we're being honest (as we can) then they might start cutting us some slack.

How can it be deemed a foul if there has been no contact?

Were they discussing the west brom player (mcmanaman I think) did you hear tony pulis's reaction? If only everyone in the game had as much integrity as that man. Hats of to him.

How can it be deemed a foul if there has been no contact?

Were they discussing the west brom player (mcmanaman I think) did you hear tony pulis's reaction? If only everyone in the game had as much integrity as that man. Hats of to him.

If a defender mistimes a challenge and commits a foul, it shouldn't matter whether the attacker makes the most of it or not.

The problem we often have is that officials will often only penalise for a blatant foul, which means attackers are encouraged to make the most of challenges to get the fouls they should get anyway.

Cobra the defender never committed a foul. He slid in and missed the ball and never touched the player.

The boy dived and to me should be sent off

If there's no contact there's no foul. Presuming I (as the referee) was confident with that and had a good view then the attacker would be booked for simulation and a free kick awarded to the defending team.

Any talk of an attacker going down to make the refs job easier or anticipating a foul is what's ruining the game IMO.

No contact = No foul.

If there's no contact there's no foul. Presuming I (as the referee) was confident with that and had a good view then the attacker would be booked for simulation and a free kick awarded to the defending team.

Any talk of an attacker going down to make the refs job easier or anticipating a foul is what's ruining the game IMO.

No contact = No foul.

This is why I'd like to see the Ref's being able to retrospectively dish out/retract cards. Let them watch the footage, especially in the big games there will be loads of different camera angles. Make the managers make their players stop cheating. If players are going to be called over their cheating and miss games then hopefully all the diving will stop. If the top level players stop doing it it should filter down through the leagues, including kids. 

No contact = No foul.

Doesn't always have to be contact for a foul.

Doesn't always have to be contact for a foul.

It should be exactly that is my point.

It should be exactly that is my point.

You going to drop reckless play with no contact?