The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Best Defenders From The Last 25 Years

Rate this topic

Best Dundee defenders  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which four defenders would you select from the last 25 years?

• George McGeachie
    • Rab Shannon
    • Noel Blake
    • Barry Smith
    • Dusan Vrto
    • Dariusz Adamczuk
    • Brian Irvine
    • Lee Wilkie
    • Chris Coyne
    • Dave Mackay
    • Zurab Khizanishvili
    • Marcello Marrocco
    • Walter Del Rio
    • Massimo Beghetto
    • Jonay Hernandez
    • Brent Sancho
    • Bobby Mann
    • Gary MacKenzie
    • Milan Páleník
    • Craig Forsyth
    • Jim Lauchlan
    • Eric Paton
    • Gary Irvine
    • Matt Lockwood
    • Brian Easton
    • James McPake
    • Paul McGinn
    • Julen Etxabeguren
    • Thomas Konrad
    • Jim Duffy

This is the final poll for the quarter century XI. I've decided to put the defenders into one poll so please select four from the list.

If you can try to pick a back four rather than four centre backs that would be good.

Edited by Cobra

I just know I'm going to change 1 or 2, this one is impossible. I was a poor footballer but I was a half decent defender, I always admired silky defenders. For now I've gone Barry (obv's),  Darius, Gary McKenzie (more raw than silky with us I admit) and McPake. I Can see Palenik amongst others making my final cut, Cobra, you're a b****r with this selection.

• Like 1

OffTopic.pngBrent Sancho is now Minister for Sport in Trinidad and Tobago, never new that.

• Like 1

Zurab and Duffy in his prime would have been an awesome pairing..

Only one choice right back for me - Barry

Left back - probably Forsyth?

Dariusz right back. Big Brian Irvine and Big Lee Wilkie centre backs.

I know you said pick a balanced back 4 but I can't leave Zurab out because he was quality so he's going left back even though he played centre and right back for us.

I've picked my 4 favourites, we'd probably have to have a re-jig of formation to fit them in but I'd have Dusan, Barry Smith, Noel Blake and Beghetto (Who was the most underrated player during the whole Bonetti era for me!). Not the best 4 on the list, but for me, there's a lot of class that can be selected and I know Dariusz will be reeling in the picks as it is. I only saw limited amounts of Duffy and more associate him as a manager although I do remember him being absolute class for us and miles better than what I've selected, but as it is, I've picked my 4!

Vrto Duffy Smith Adamczuk

Has to be that 4 for me,

Vrto - One of the hardest players I can remember and remember fondly his tackling and long throws

Duffy - Maybe never saw him in his prime but what I can rememeber he was as good as any CH in the league

Smith - Gone for Barry at sweeper, one of the best readers of the game to have played for us, commited and a fantastic tackler ala vrto

Adamczuk - See Vrto! He had it all for me, hard in the tackle, good going forward and could take a goal.

Special mentions to Big Brian Irvine, who scored one of the best headers I have seen at the dump and Zurab who was probably the most technically gifted player on that list

Barry  Zurab Jim Duffy Darius, a back four to die for and for those who mentioned they never seen Duffy a lot he was our best out of this lot by far IMO.

for those who mentioned they never seen Duffy a lot he was our best out of this lot by far IMO.

Agreed.. Some of the other names on the list weren't fit to lace his boots.

Finally went for Darius, Duffy, Wilkie, Hernandez

Tried to get Zurab in either at right back (he played a few games there) or at centre half, but the pairing i went for probably has the best balance.

Wilkie with his prowess in the air as well as being fairly skillful on the deck and Duffy as the sweeper of the pair, probably the best timer of a tackle I've ever seen as Dens. Honourable mention for Dusan as well.

Left back is quite difficult but went for Jonay as I thought he was very under rated during his spell here and not bad defensively, probably better going forward and always open for a pass. However would be quite happy with Marroco/Forsyth.

Would have loved to put Barry in there, but that would have been heart over head.

Barry Brian Irvine zurab and the pole .... Duffy would have got in it was 30 years easily the best centre half I have saw play for the dees

Dariuz

Smith

Irvine

Zurab

Felt bad leaving out Fozzy

Blake

Vrto

Adamczuk

Irvine

Duff was a bit before before my time so I stuck with my tactic of going for favourites of my youth.

Zurab should be in there if I am beings honest tho.

Probably should have also had Wilkie too but f**k putting a judas like that in.

Blake v Dariusz in a square go, that would be worth the admission fee

Edited by Ivan Drago

Smith Duffy Wilkie Vrto

Mind you Duffy's best was more than 25 years...so will opt instead for Brian Irvine

Edited by Darkblue63

I've gone with a back four but im playing one player out of position. For me its Barry Smith, Lee Wilkie, Jim Duffy, Darius the pole.

Dusan Irvine Smith Adamczuk 

If we're talking 25 years I can't honestly go for Duffy, as he was past his best post injury, although few ever read the game better.

Had Easton stuck around he'd had been a possible, but he wasn't with us long enough, while I also swithered over Rab Shannon and Zurab.

Dusan Irvine Smith Adamczuk 

If we're talking 25 years I can't honestly go for Duffy, as he was past his best post injury, although few ever read the game better.

Had Easton stuck around he'd had been a possible, but he wasn't with us long enough, while I also swithered over Rab Shannon and Zurab.

I'm surprised Easton hasn't had a vote (yet), I took the vote literally and didn't vote for each position, I just voted for 4 defenders, I see some have got a couple of full backs or noted that they had picked someone out of position. Easton was only with us a season and it took him a few months to get up to speed but he was pretty good.