The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Best Manager From The Last 25 Years

Rate this topic

Best Dundee manager  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you consider the best Dundee manager of the last 25 years?

• Jim Duffy
    • Jocky Scott
    • Ivano Bonetti
    • Alex Rae
    • Barry Smith
    • John Brown
    • Paul Hartley

Line-up isn't 100% confirmed as some votes remain really close.

Just wondering who you consider our best manager in the last quarter century? I've only included the seven names I think might win votes.

bssr5XO.jpg

Team looks a bit funny with smith at CH cobra. Perhaps should have done separate polls for centre halts and full backs! Jocky for me tho in this one!!

Hartley.. Just

Jocky's in game tactics were superior to PH's (for now) but I have PH ahead in pretty much every other area of managing the team.

It's Barry Smith for me. He might be near bottom of the list had he taken us over in normal circumstances  - but the facts were, he didn't and he needed to break the club's undefeated record just to keep us in the Championship and keep us alive with a thread bare squad. That achievement will struggle to be matched. His career since suggest he might not be the best manager we've had, but he was exactly what we needed when we needed him and he delivered big time.

In terms of a manager being placed into a 'normal' situation, it's between Jocky and Hartley by a considerable distance and I think Hartley is pipping Jocky as it stands.

• Like 1

I should copy and paste this as I've posted the following about 5 times on here whenever we're debating past managers.

Duffy for me for his efforts August 2002 to April 2005.

Top 6 finish season 2002/03 with an entertaining attacking 4-3-3 line up who were a match for anyone.

First Scottish Cup final in 39 years and our only one in 51 years.

European football for first time in 29 years and only time in 41 years.

9 derbies undefeated which is the most since the 1950s I think.

Kept us up comfortably after admin 1.

Got us to our only other major cup final in the past 35 years in 1995 in his first spell as manager.

A lot of Dundee fans will only remember him for the last 4 or 5 games that lead to our relegation in 2005 but for me that's harsh ignoring the 3 years before that.

Jocky and Hartley only behind by a whisker for me too.

Edited by Perth Road Dee

A tough one this, I've plumped for Jim Duffy, cup finals go a long way and I mind he was even doing the laundry at one point.  :lol2:

I've been a long time fan of Jocky and Barry both as managers and players and I can see (and hope) that PH running away with it if this poll is done again in a few years. I'll be interested to see how many votes Brown gets, loved him as a player, despaired at him as a manager.

Jocky by a distance for me.

Given time and a bit of support he would have brought us a cup with that 1998 squad. Instead we lumped on big time on a clown :-(

Duffy second for me for at least getting something out of the Bonnetti side

Hmmm. This is a tricky one. The truth is for managers to remain success in fans minds, they almost have to leave before things get bad. As has been pointed out, if Duffy left before the last 5 games of the relegation season, he'd win this hands down. If Smithy left after the admin season, he's win it. In fact, his achievements that season were better than any managerial success in Scottish Football in recent times. Jocky did very well first time round and was forced out by the Marrs which gives him a slight advantage. The second time round is inconclusive. He was tasked to get us up and backed massively by an investor. He was sacked when we were top of the league but looking like we'd bottle it.

Too tough to call, I'm going for Gordon Chisholm.

I should copy and paste this as I've posted the following about 5 times on here whenever we're debating past managers.

Duffy for me for his efforts August 2002 to April 2005.

Top 6 finish season 2002/03 with an entertaining attacking 4-3-3 line up who were a match for anyone.

First Scottish Cup final in 39 years and our only one in 51 years.

European football for first time in 29 years and only time in 41 years.

9 derbies undefeated which is the most since the 1950s I think.

Kept us up comfortably after admin 1.

Got us to our only other major cup final in the past 35 years in 1995 in his first spell as manager.

A lot of Dundee fans will only remember him for the last 4 or 5 games that lead to our relegation in 2005 but for me that's harsh ignoring the 3 years before that.

Jocky and Hartley only behind by a whisker for me too.

This. What he did for us both on and off the park was great. Yes people remember that it was he who took us down but they all forget the rest.

Honourable mentions for Jocky (and Hartley) who have produced teams who performed time and again and obviously to Barry for the defiant season, which may well gone down in a strange way as the most successfull and important season we ever had.

Barry Smith for me. What he did for us in that season was unbelievable. I don't know where we would be as a club now if he hadn't achieved what he did

barry smith for me so far. for his great achievement in that wonderful season he saved

us for more than one reason .

• Like 1

Not voted yet.

Really difficult for me as most had spells where it was good.

Couldnt vote Duffy  due to relegations and dropping Novo for Burchill in cup final.

Ivano era was my fav time as a dee  but i cant say he was best manager tho i cant think of another manager who put a team together to play huns, tims off the park tho next week we`d get beat by motherwell so kinda rules him oot.

Jocky - hmmmm first time round there is a case for him tho i can always mind hating the fitbaw aswell under him and i think 99% percent of dees (inc myself) understood why he was given the boot, short memories as i mind lots of booing under Jocky through his negative tactics.

Rae - i think he could have been , Hamilton at that time where such a good side , look at where some of there players went compared to ours, i do think if Rae had an experienced good assistant it could have been better.

Barry Smith - the minus season was nothing short of brilliant then it aww seemed to go horribly wrong to the point where it was depressing going to games, aside from Kerno era , that 1 season in SPL was my worst as a dee going to the games then it actually got worse - cue mark kerr.

Bomber was a short term fix - wrong appointment for many reasons.

PH - first time of asking we got promoted under him, first season in SPL - top 6 where Ivano n Jocky are lauded for , this season looking like another top 6.
The biggest fustration for me with PH is he`s making the job much harder than it should be by trying to play the perfect game by passing through teams n not giving us pace both Jocky , Ivano had it right by having very good wingers as it makes such a difference.

ALL IN ALL - I will vote for PH as since coming in no1 can fault where he has took us (so far)
It took Jocky having good players at his disposel and Ivano`s big budget to do what PH has done and id say PH has the least of money to spend out the 3

Anyway PH gets my vote.

I went for Barry for the defiant season. We can debate long and hard how much he influenced or didn't, but in terms of impact on the club it can't be beaten.

Other than that it'd be Jocky, or Duffy, but both had a hand in major disappointments.

Depressing that there really isn't one standout from the last 25 years...

Out of the list there it has to be Jocky Scott. In all three spells he left us in a much better place than when he arrived. He knew what he had and he knew how to use it. The first spell was exciting. The second was a grind but exhilarating towards the finish when folk like Luna and Artero arrived and the third I think would have ended in promotion until we pressed self destruct and sacked a manager who had won one of only 2 cups i have seen us win in my lifetime (not counting the 6s) and sitting top of the league. Miles ahead tactically on most others on the list and unlucky in the 80s to run into some of the best scottish sides in the history of our game.

Special mention to Iain Munroe who got us promoted after the Gordon Wallace/Dave Smith shambles playing the best football I have ever seen a dundee team play with Stainrod and McColl spraying the ball about. Absolute joy to watch and a shocking decision to sack a manager who won promotion in style.

A mention too for stainrod who kept us up before being ousted for for Duffy who promptly cocked it up and got us relegated again. Had as good contacts as Ivano and a swashbuckling approach. That 4-3 win agsinst rangers with rix and ratcliffe pulling the strings and gilzean junior bouncing rangers defenders all over the pitch is still one of my favourite games ever. There were some real highs and some shocking performances along the way but it was fun while it lasted.

There was a debate about whether we wanted winning football or entertaining football insinuating that the current team was entertaining. I think stainrod's team and munroe's teams entertained me a lot more than the current one.

JD clear in first with Jocky in fourth. Never would have predicted that.

JD clear in first with Jocky in fourth. Never would have predicted that.

Although I voted for JD, I'm surprised that JS is fourth, I'd probably have had him second on form (although I respect what BS did), all down to opinions and probably the different ages of us all as well. 

Although I voted for JD, I'm surprised that JS is fourth, I'd probably have had him second on form (although I respect what BS did), all down to opinions and probably the different ages of us all as well. 

Barry is a Dee legend and the Deefiant season was a remarkable achievement but I don't think you can say he's a particularly good manager. He has to be judged on a regular season. Finishing 24 points behind Ross County wasn't great and that season where we picked up four points from the first quarter in the top tier was horrendous. Lots of reasons for that shambolic season but Barry seemed a bit out of his depth. 

Jocky and Duff both did really well at their managerial peak for us but I think Hartley might be the best of the lot. Still early days though.

Barry is a Dee legend and the Deefiant season was a remarkable achievement but I don't think you can say he's a particularly good manager. He has to be judged on a regular season. Finishing 24 points behind Ross County wasn't great and that season where we picked up four points from the first quarter in the top tier was horrendous. Lots of reasons for that shambolic season but Barry seemed a bit out of his depth. 

Jocky and Duff both did really well at their managerial peak for us but I think Hartley might be the best of the lot. Still early days though.

One thing I did hear about Barry's tenure was that he had very little backing from the Board. We were p*ss poor under the Society (poor but happy ?) but a certain member who possibly had too much sway refused to back him when he wanted to bring Jocky in as Assistant. All jungle drums but if Barry had got the support that PH has had, who knows how it would have turned out.

I do feel the love for PH, I think (and hope) that he's going to be the stuff of legend down the line.

Yep I agree about Barry, was a great first season but under extraordinary circumstances tbh.. However the two seasons after was on par with Kerno as the worst I've ever seen us, losing so many at home easily, finishing 24 fecking points behind Ross county and then well.. The SPL season, dinna even want to talk about that embarrassment tbh, truly awful. Tried his best but obviously out of his depth.

Went for Duffy as he took us to Europe and a cup final although we were relegated under him I thought the football under him was great to watch as a young lad and I never seen us get beat from the dabs under him.. Until the last game against them before we went down.. 😕