The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
andymurray

Football Is Too Soft

Rate this topic

I'm getting fed up seeing game-changing yellow/red cards for perfectly good attempts to win the ball. It seems like football is getting softer and softer every year (not helped by some referees that just like to be in the spotlight).

The reason for me bringing this up is I really don't understand why, after reviewing the challenge, the SFA have upheld the Jonny Hayes sending off. It looked like a perfectly good challenge and the ball flew away for a throw-in which shows Hayes won/deflected the ball (3:25 in the video link). I can understand referees making mistakes but the SFA had a chance to look at several replays.

Bit of a rant but I'd like to see players going in to challenges fully committed without the worry of split second timing turning their challenge into a red card. Players get injured playing football - it's just a risk you take playing the game. There are players that go out to deliberately target players and they are the ones that should get the book thrown at them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/34235913

• Like 1

I don't like what Hayes has done there. He's going in with such force it's inevitable he's going to hurt the other player and possibly give him a bad injury.

We're not all going to agree on but I'm happy to see referees do what they can to try and stop the kind of tackles that saw Duffy and Caballero out for a long time.

I like to see meaty challenges like what Low did when he came off the bench at Tannadice but players going in from the side with studs showing at great speed is not good for the game imo.

It's more important that players like Greg Stewart have a long career than the likes of Jonny Hayes are free to launch themselves at opponents full force in an attempt to win the ball in the middle of the park.

It's a tough one for me. He does go flying in but he doesn't come over the top of the ball. He goes in very aggressively which makes it look a lot worse than it actually is IMO. It's one that can go either way for me so I'm not surprised his appeal has been turned down. 'Studs showing' is always something that gets thrown about in these arguments, but it is impossible to slide without the bottom of your boots showing for me. To do it with the sole of your foot facing the ground is unnatural. Lustig goes in with a similar body shape but comes off a lot worse due to the speed Hayes came in at. I think that, coupled with the reaction of Lustig and the other Celtic players makes up the referees mind for me.

It's a tough one for me. He does go flying in but he doesn't come over the top of the ball. He goes in very aggressively which makes it look a lot worse than it actually is IMO. It's one that can go either way for me so I'm not surprised his appeal has been turned down. 'Studs showing' is always something that gets thrown about in these arguments, but it is impossible to slide without the bottom of your boots showing for me. To do it with the sole of your foot facing the ground is unnatural. Lustig goes in with a similar body shape but comes off a lot worse due to the speed Hayes came in at. I think that, coupled with the reaction of Lustig and the other Celtic players makes up the referees mind for me.

I've watched the clip a lot of times and I'm convinced Hayes wants to get the ball and go through the player. Like you say that kind of challenge is always going to be studs up so you need control your aggression and be aware of where your studs are going.

It was inevitable that Lustig was going to come out of that challenge hurt. Hayes knew that and I can only imagine he wanted to get it up them because it was a huge game with a lot at stake against the champions. You want to see your players showing desire and aggression in these kinds of games but that for me is too reckless.

If it had been the other way round and the Celtic player Lustig had committed the same tackle on Hayes do you think that Lustig would have been sent off.

I'm getting fed up seeing game-changing yellow/red cards for perfectly good attempts to win the ball. It seems like football is getting softer and softer every year (not helped by some referees that just like to be in the spotlight).

The reason for me bringing this up is I really don't understand why, after reviewing the challenge, the SFA have upheld the Jonny Hayes sending off. It looked like a perfectly good challenge and the ball flew away for a throw-in which shows Hayes won/deflected the ball (3:25 in the video link). I can understand referees making mistakes but the SFA had a chance to look at several replays.

Bit of a rant but I'd like to see players going in to challenges fully committed without the worry of split second timing turning their challenge into a red card. Players get injured playing football - it's just a risk you take playing the game. There are players that go out to deliberately target players and they are the ones that should get the book thrown at them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/34235913

Couldn't agree more. Game is being spoiled by over the top decisions and diving

If it had been the other way round and the Celtic player Lustig had committed the same tackle on Hayes do you think that Lustig would have been sent off.

Griffiths would say "yes" :)

I am surprised at Leigh Griffiths getting involved in complaining about decisions being biased against his team. He should know that nearly all the decisions are biased in favour of Celtic and Rangers.

Leigh should stick to the singing!!

I am surprised at Leigh Griffiths getting involved in complaining about decisions being biased against his team. He should know that nearly all the decisions are biased in favour of Celtic and Rangers.

Leigh should stick to the singing!!

and baby making.

• Like 1