Jump to content
  • Scottish Premiership
    Dundee 0 Celtic 2
    FT HT 0 - 0
    • Forrest 8', Griffiths 43'

    Celtic Moved 11 Points Clear At The Top Of The Scottish Premiership With Victory Over Dundee At Dens Park.

    • By TheDarkBlues
    • 26th December 2017, 12:00 am

    There is no match report yet. Please come back later.

    Game is live on BT Sports

    Line Ups

    Dundee: 4-3-2-1

    • 12 Parish
    • 2 Kerr
    • 22 Hendry
    • 24 Meekings O'Dea 26'
    • 15 Aurtenetxe Borde
    • 14 O'Hara
    • 18 McGowan
    • 8 Kamara
    • 20 El Bakhtaoui Lambert 61'
    • 9 Moussa90'
    • 7 Leitch-Smith Henvey 79'


    • 3 Holt
    • 6 O'Dea
    • 27 Curran
    • 34 Waddell
    • 38 Ferie
    • 46 Henvey
    • 47 Lambert

    Celtic : 4-2-3-1

    • 1 Gordon
    • 23 Lustig
    • 20 Boyata22'
    • 35 Ajer
    • 63 Tierney
    • 8 Brown76 '
    • 21 Ntcham Armstrong 67'
    • 49 Forrest
    • 42 McGregor
    • 15 Hayes Johnston 28'
    • 9 Griffiths Dembele 79'


    • 5 Simunovic
    • 6 Bitton
    • 10 Dembele
    • 14 Armstrong
    • 22 Edouard
    • 24 de Vries
    • 73 Johnston
    Referee: Kevin Clancy
    Attendance: 9,193
    Photo courtesy of: Derek Gerrard Photography

    User Feedback

    There are no comments to display.

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

  • Scottish Premier

    Pos Team Pld GD Pts
    1 Celtic 27 36 61
    2 Rangers 27 22 52
    3 Aberdeen 27 12 52
    4 Hibernian 27 8 47
    5 Hearts 27 4 38
    6 Kilmarnock 25 -2 35
    7 Motherwell 27 -4 32
    8 Dundee 27 -12 28
    9 St Johnstone 25 -14 27
    10 Partick Thistle 27 -20 24
    11 Hamilton Accies 25 -13 23
    12 Ross County 27 -17 21

  • Similar Content

    • UWTB1893
      By UWTB1893
      James Forrest gave Celtic an early lead and this was followed up with a Leigh Griffiths strike to all but seal the points for the Glasgow club before half time.

      “I thought we lacked a bit of aggression in our play, said McCann."
      “The application and workrate was there but we lacked bite and sat off Celtic too much. When you do that, they are a real dangerous side.
      “I thought after we lost the first goal, which disappointed me because we talked about how Celtic launch their attacks, we had a little spell.
      “We passed the ball and Celtic were off it again but then we lost a sloppy second goal, it was a terrible one actually.
      “Faissal (El Bakhtaoui) needs to be stronger, it wasn’t a good pass and we give possession away.
      “Celtic then hit us on the counter-attack.
      “We needed to up the aggression levels in the second half but we didn’t really do that, we maybe lacked a wee bit of belief that we could get into the game.
      “I won’t be too hard on them because we have had three tough games lately.
      “We have one more then we will get in to the winter break.”
    • UWTB1893
      By UWTB1893

      View full news article
    • UWTB1893
      By UWTB1893
      The scene was set. Blizzard conditions had laid siege to Scotland in the days leading up to this final and with the national energy crisis that stemmed from the miners strike, it was agreed that the kick-off time would be brought forward to 1.30pm in case the match went to extra-time and would need the extra daylight.

      In all, it took the teams coach three hours to reach Glasgow and there was even reports of Dundee supports busses being sent back by the Police who told them the game had been called off. Thankfully for the Dee, this would not be the case.

      The 70's would often see Dundee drawn against Celtic in the cup competitions, with the Glasgow club coming out on top in near enough all of them. In the League Cup we seen Celtic eliminate Dundee in the Quarter Finals in 1970, 72 and 78. While in the Scottish Cup, we would fall to them in the Semi-Final in 1970, 73, 74, 75 and 77. An exit to them would also occur in the fourth round in 1972.

      1973 would however have a different ending, much to the delight of the Dark Blues.
      Despite neither club wanting the match to go ahead, Bobby Davidson would give the tie the green light to kick off in what would be his fifth League Cup Final to officiate in. His last came in 1967 when Celtic beat Dundee 5-3 which was looked upon as one of the best games of that season.

      So the game kicked off in front of a crowd of 29,974, the lowest ever for a final in this competition, with the conditions worsening. The pitch had took a battering and this effected the way Celtic played and by half time, Dundee were the ones who had created the better and more chances. It was in the second half that we would see one of the clubs make the breakthrough and that club would be Dundee! 

      There was only fourteen minutes left to play when Bobby Wilson took a free-kick from the halfway line which landing at Gordon Wallace who had his back to the Celtic goal. With Celtic shirts surrounding him, the striker took the ball on his chest, before turning and placing the ball behind Ally Hunter. 

      The Dark Blues would hold out and when the final whistle went, players and supporters would forget all about the appalling conditions surrounding them and start celebrating the club lifting it's first piece of silverware since Dundee won the league in 1961-62. It was the fifth major honour the club had won and also the third time they have came away celebrating success in this tournament.

      Gordon Wallace was asked about his goal and his reply was: "Ach, I just turned and hit it!"

      The players would celebrate the night away in the old Angus Hotel but a few of them would sneak away from the reception to secretly visit former coach Jim McLean who they feel, helped improve the team. McLean had of course took over the hot seat at rivals Dundee United in 1971. Unsurprisingly, Dundee manager Davie White wasn't impressed at all with this and fined each player.

      None the less, it was a great achievement for the club but it would also be the clubs last so far. Trips to Hampden have been few and far between and with no major silverware lining the cabinets of Dens Park since, fans like myself often look back at this victory with immense pride but with even more frustration that the club has been starved of any success since.

      Still, that Dundee team of Allan, Wilson, Gemmell, Ford, Stewart, Phillip, Duncan, Robinson, Wallace, J. Scott, Lambie will be fondly remembered.
    • TheDarkBlues
      By TheDarkBlues
      The Dark Blues made two changes to the team that lost in Perth; Kevin Gomis and Tom Hateley came in for Kosta Gadzhalov and Craig Wighton, who were on the bench. Celtic also brought in two fresh faces, with Jozo Simunovic and Callum McGregor replacing Erik Sviatchenko and Nir Bitton.
      Celtic looked dangerous right from the start and dominated possession throughout the first half. The visitors’ movement, passing and control constantly threatened Dundee who had to be at the top of their defensive game to keep Celtic at bay.
      The Dark Blues stuck manfully to their task, keeping their concentration, staying organised and preventing Celtic from turning domination into goalscoring chances. Celtic won a succession of free kicks around 30 to 40 yards from Scott Bain’s goal, in prime Leigh Griffith’s territory but happily the former Dee was on the bench. Celtic couldn’t exploit any of these free kicks, or make anything of their many corners until the very end of the first half.
      As the clock ticked into injury time Celtic won three corners in quick succession. From the second Paul McGowan stopped Dedryck Boyata’s header on the goal-line. But when the third corner was cleared, Stuart Armstrong found James Forrest, wide on the right. Forrest recovered from Cammy Kerr’s challenge to cross for Jozo SIMUNOVIC, whose slightly mishit half volley from 12 yards deflected off Kevin Gomis and Scott Bain couldn’t re-adjust quickly enough to keep the ball out.
      Dundee started the second half with a 25 yard free kick from Kevin Holt that evaded the defensive wall, but was easily saved by Craig Gordon. Following that brief threat to their goal Celtic resumed their smooth dominanation of the game.
      Six minutes after the break they extended their lead with a goal of beautifully executed simplicity. James Forrest jinked past Kevin Holt to reach the byline and his perfect cross to the near post was glanced home by Stuart ARMSTRONG’s header.
      The game seemed to have slipped beyond the Dark Blues, but to their great credit the players battled their way back into contention. Craig Wighton came on for James Vincent as Dundee started to exert pressure on Celtic’s defence for the first time.
      Dundee were aided by slackness from Celtic’s defence who were guilty of some careless passing as they tried to play their way up the field in the face of fierce Dundee pressing. Kieran Tierney gifted possession to Paul McGowan who raced forward and set up Marcus Haber, who had only Gordon to beat. From 16 yards the Canadian international sent his shot narrowly wide with the whole crowd expecting the net to bulge.
      For the next 15 minutes play swung from end to end in exciting fashion. Celtic tried to kill the game off and the Dark Blues fought hard to claw their way back into the match. The visitors reached the byline twice in quick succession, but neither Tierney nor Sinclair could find a teammate with their cutbacks.
      After 74 minutes Faissal El Bakhtaoui replaced Henrik Ojamaa, and within a minute he scored a goal of stunning quality. Mark O’Hara took a quick free kick on the half way line. He played it short to EL BAKHTAOUI, who spun away from Boyata and raced for goal. Before the Celtic defence had the chance to close him down he hit an unstoppable shot over Gordon and into the top corner from 25 yards.
      The goal briefly silenced the away fans, injected life into the home support and transformed the match. Celtic had looked capable of coasting to the final whistle. It was now crystal clear that coasting was no longer a viable option. The last 20 minutes, including injury time, were an enthralling spectacle.
      Moussa Dembele had a fleeting moment of space in the Dee’s penalty area, but Darren O’Dea flung himself into the path of the shot, which ended up bouncing gently into Bain’s hands. Marcus Haber headed wide from 10 yards when Cammy Kerr lofted a high ball into the penalty area.
      After his spectacular goal El Bakhtaoui was desperate to get on the ball at every opportunity and he posed Celtic some tricky problems with his pace, control and sheer enthusiasm. The visitors tried to slow the pace of the game down and irritated referee Willie Collum with some timewasting that eventually brought a booking for Dembele. Celtic manager Brendan Rogers paid Dundee the compliment of removing an attacking player, Scott Sinclair, and sending on a defender, Erik Sviatchenko, for the last 10 minutes.
      In injury time Celtic managed to keep at bay a Dundee team that was down to 9 fit men by this stage. Both Kevin Holt and Marcus Haber were limping and unable to run, but with all the substitutes used they had to stay on the park.
      Celtic have been utterly dominant in domestic football this season, undefeated and having drawn only two games. Although Dundee have lost all three games there has been only a single goal in each match. The Dark Blues have made a thorough nuisance of themselves each time and Celtic have had to work hard to earn wins that were never certain till the final whistle.
      The last half hour today allowed the players and supporters to leave the ground with their heads held high and their pride intact. As with the other teams in the bottom six Dundee’s season has been blighted by inconsistency. That final 30 minutes set the standard that the Dee must try to emulate in the remaining nine games of the season.
      Dundee FC 4-5-1
      Kerr, O’Dea (c), Gomis, Holt
      O’Hara, McGowan, Vincent (Wighton 59), Hateley (Ross 68), Ojamaa (El Bakhtaoui 74).
      Unused subs: Mitchell (gk), Williams, Klok, Gadzhalov.
      Goal: El Bakhtaoui (75).
      Booked: McGowan (foul on McGregor), Gomis (foul on Dembele), O’Dea (foul on Sinclair), Holt (foul on Roberts).
      Celtic 4-2-3-1
      Lustig, Boyata, Simunovic, Tierney
      McGregor (Kouassi 68), Brown
      Forrest (Roberts 72), Armstrong, Sinclair (Sviatchenko 83)
      Unused subs: Bailly (gk), Bitton, Griffiths, Gamboa.
      Goals: Simunovic (45+1), Armstrong (51).
      Booked: Brown (foul on McGowan), Dembele (timewasting), Kouassi (foul on Kerr).
      Attendance: 8,968 (3,999 away supporters).
      Referee: William Collum. Assistants: Douglas Ross, Frank Connor. Fourth official: Colin Steven.
      Report: James Christie.

About Us

The Dark Blues

The unofficial forum of Dundee Football Club! Follow us for News, light hearted banter or the more serious discussions regarding the Mighty Dee!

Recent Tweets


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.