Jump to content
  • Scottish Premiership
    Dundee 2 Hearts 1
    • Waddell 44', 90'+3
    FT HT 1 - 0
    • Lafferty 71'

    A Kerr Waddell Double Sinks Hearts As The Dark Blues Win At Dens Park.

    • By TheDarkBlues
    • 30th September 2017, 12:00 am

    Line Ups

    Dundee: 3-5-2

    • 1 Bain
    • 22 Hendry
    • 6 O'Dea Kerr 65'
    • 34 Waddell76 '
    • 21 Deacon El Bakhtaoui 83'
    • 28 Spence65 '
    • 8 Kamara
    • 14 O'Hara
    • 3 Holt
    • 18 McGowan
    • 9 Moussa69 ' Leitch-Smithat 78'


    • 2 Kerr
    • 7 Leitch-Smith
    • 10 Allan
    • 12 Parish
    • 15 Aurtenetxe Borde
    • 20 El Bakhtaoui
    • 23 Wolters

    Hearts : 3-5-2

    • 1 McLaughlin
    • 4 Souttar87 '
    • 5 Hughes Buaben 7'
    • 6 Berra
    • 2 Smith
    • 7 Walker
    • 20 Callachan
    • 47 Cochrane Milinkovic 73'
    • 16 Randall
    • 9 Lafferty
    • 77 Esmael Gonçalves


    • 8 Buaben
    • 11 Milinkovic
    • 13 Hamilton
    • 21 Martin
    • 23 Stockton
    • 27 Grzelak
    • 43 Henderson
    Referee: Steven McLean
    Attendance: 7,028

    User Feedback

    There are no comments to display.

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

  • Scottish Premier

    Pos Team Pld GD Pts
    1 Celtic 15 28 37
    2 Rangers 16 15 30
    3 Aberdeen 16 4 30
    4 Hibernian 16 7 29
    5 Motherwell 15 1 23
    6 Hearts 16 -5 18
    7 St Johnstone 15 -7 18
    8 Hamilton Accies 16 -3 17
    9 Dundee 16 -9 15
    10 Kilmarnock 16 -9 15
    11 Ross County 16 -10 15
    12 Partick Thistle 15 -12 11

  • Related Content

    • UWTB1893
      By UWTB1893
      Goals either side of the break from Esmael Goncalves and Christophe Berra were enough for Hearts to see off a Dundee side who were missing the vital end product that has been absent all of this season and of last.

      This result seen Dundee slip into the play-off position with a massive game looming this Saturday at Dens Park against bottom of the table Partick Thistle.

      “I thought we were better in the second half for a wee spell,” said McCann.
      “But I am not going to say that cheered me up any. That was a shocking performance tonight. I didn’t see it coming and it won’t be accepted.
      “It is something we work on at this club, where everything is geared to winning.
      “Everything we do in training has a purpose, everything we do has an end point where it is about standards but tonight’s performance was a joke.
      “Anything in the second half would have been an improvement on the first.
      “I am not accepting that. When you set standards you should stick to them and if you fall below them, something like that can creep in so I am not accepting that.
      “I think you can take it from my tone that I am not happy with them (the players) and they know that.
      “That’s not right. The fans who travelled down from Dundee have been short-changed.”
    • UWTB1893
      By UWTB1893
      We caught up with Hearts Till We Die again to speak about their brand new Stand, how the Levein era is going so far and his predictions for Tuesdays game.
      ‪The last time we spoke, the new main stand at Tynecastle was under construction. It’s now up and running. How does the old lady look?‬
      The new stand is looking fantastic, still work to be done inside but after that's all done, it'll look even better!
      ‪The opening hasn’t gone by without any controversy. There was the possibility the first game against Partick might not go ahead right up to the day it was due to take place. Then after being giving the go ahead to play the game was put back to 3.15 as there was a problem with the turnstiles. And then two fire alarms went off before the Hamilton game also pushing the kick off time to 3.15. Hopefully that’s the end of the teething problems?‬
      Yeah those delays were pretty annoying but at the end of the day, 15 minutes isn't much. I'm sure there won't be anymore delays.
      ‪Since your return to Tynecastle, the team have three draws and one win. Have you been disappointed with that return or have these results been expected?‬
      Yeah, I'm not going to sit here and lie. Results have been pretty poor but thankfully we finally got a win at the weekend to end our poor form. I’m just hope the winning continues.
      ‪Until your victory at the weekend, there was only a three point gap between yourselves and the play-off spot. I think you were also six games without a win. Did you start to have a wee glance over your shoulder?‬
      To be honest, I haven't paid a lot of attention to the league. It’s still very tight to call. I, of course, have had the odd think of where we could actually finish but there's still a long way to go.
      ‪You described the appointment of Craig Levein as satisfying but you weren’t over the moon with it. What’s your feelings so far into his current reign?‬
      Of course, results haven't went to plan and the style of play hasn't been very intriguing but I always stick by a manager. I'm very much rooting for Levein and hope he succeeds in his second spell.
      ‪We have already clashed this season with Dundee coming out on top with a last minute winner at Dens. Understandably I was happy with the result and thought we deserved the win. That was my verdict through my dark blue specs but what was yours through your maroon ones?‬
      It was a very disappointing result, especially losing it in the last minute. But hopefully, we are the ones to come out on top this time around!
      ‪We end it as always with a score prediction. Hearts will be bouncing after their first win in six and first in front of the new Stand while Dundee have picked up a bit of form and were unlucky to not come away with at least a point on Friday against Aberdeen. How do you think this one will end?‬
      I reckon it'll be a very tight game like our last four have been and I expect Dundee to make it hard for us but as long as we make use of big Laff, we should pip it. I'm going for a 1-0 Hearts - Lafferty the goalscorer.
      Good Luck for tomorrow!
    • TheDarkBlues
      By TheDarkBlues
      The Dee made two changes from Tuesday’s match in Dingwall. Tom Hateley came in at right wing back, with Daniel Higgins making his debut at centre back on his 19th birthday. Kevin Gomis dropped onto the bench Danny Williams was suspended. Cammy Kerr moved across the park to play left wing back. There were three changes in the Hearts’ line-up. Prince Buaben, Liam Smith and Arnaud Djoum started in the places of Anastasios Avlonitis, Lennard Sowah and Bjorn Johnsen.
      The match started quietly with both teams struggling to put moves together until Hearts scored after 13 minutes. The home side had tried on a few occasions to slot diagonal passes between the Dee centre backs looking for runners and they got it right when Don Cowie found Esmael GONCALVES, who dragged the ball wide of Paul McGowan’s challenge and scored with an angled shot despite the efforts of Darren O’Dea on the line to keep it out.
      Hearts failed to capitalise on that lead and the match entered a lengthy, scrappy phase. The Dark Blues were struggling to work worthwhile balls into the Hearts’ penalty area, but nearly crafted a chance from a long throw. Marcus Haber nodded the ball on and Jamie Walker did enough at the far post to stop Tom Hateley reaching the ball.
      The Jam Tarts gradually discovered some fluency and began to move the ball around smoothly, looking dangerous for a spell. Goncalves’ power and skill was always a threat, but Hearts couldn’t add the right final ball to some neat moves. Don Cowie did put over a perfect cross that was met by a strong header from 10 yards by Arnaud Djoum,  but Scott Bain’s fine save at full length kept the ball out.
      The Dark Blues then went even closer when Tom Hateley whipped in a great free kick from the left that no-one could reach. The ball was hurtling inside the far post, but Jack Hamilton reacted superbly to turn the ball onto the post.
      Dundee started the second half positively, spending more time on the attack than they had in the first half. They did manage to play a few good crosses into the goalmouth, but couldn’t find a Dundee player on the end of any of them.
      Just after the hour the Dark Blues had their best chance of the match. Craig Wighton had only just arrived on the park, replacing Henrik Ojamaa, when Andraz Struna gifted the ball to him. Kristian Nowak should have recovered but was brushed aside by the Dee youngster who was through one on one with Hamilton. Sadly Wighton pulled his shot well wide.
      Hearts then had a lengthy period of pressure but a solid Dundee defence didn’t allow them any clear chances. Scott Bain again showed quick reactions when Goncalves’ 25 yard shot struck Hearts’ substitute Malaury Martin, sending the ball looping towards the net, but the Dee keeper adjusted his feet to save comfortably. At the other end Jack Hamilton didn’t look quite so composed when he dropped a high cross under pressure from Mark O’Hara, but Hearts escaped in the ensuing scramble.
      Towards the end Darren O’Dea moved up front to join Haber and Wighton, but to no avail. The Dark Blues had plenty of possession in the Hearts’ half but the home defence held out without any scares.
      The brightest aspect of this game was Gorgie’s gorgeous warm sunshine. The football was seldom better than disappointing. Both sides looked like they have been well out of form. What little fluency there was came only in patches from Hearts. Dundee worked hard, and like the home team, pressed energetically as the ball pinged to and fro. There was little to bring cheer to the travelling Dees but the most positive feature of the game was an excellent debut performance in central defence by Daniel Higgins, who looked very much at home after being thrown in at the deep end.
      Hearts 4-2-3-1
      Smith, Buaben, Nowak, Struna
      Kitchen (c), Tziolis
      Cowie, Djoum (Martin 60), Walker (Currie 64)
      Goncalves (Johnsen 89)
      Unused subs: Noring (gk), Avlonitis, Choulay, Beith.
      Goals: Goncalves (13).
      Booked: none.
      Dundee FC 3-5-2
      Higgins, O’Dea (c), Holt
      Hateley, O’Hara, Vincent, McGowan, Kerr
      Ojamaa (Wighton 58), Haber
      Unused subs: Mitchell (gk), Ross, Dryden, Ian Smith, Kevin Gomis.
      Booked: Kerr (foul on Smith).
      Attendance: 16,304 (605 Dees).
      Referee: Crawford Allan. Assistants: Gordon Crawford, Ralph Gordon. Fourth official: Don Robertson.
      Report: James Christie.
    • TheDarkBlues
      By TheDarkBlues
      The Dark Blues only change from the team that narrowly lost to Celtic on Saturday was the return of Mark O’Hara to the starting line-up in the place of Danny Williams, who was named as a substitute. Paul McGowan was available after suspension and took a place on the bench. Hearts also made only one change, replacing midfielder Prince Buaben with Krystian Nowak.
      Hearts took an early lead when they won a penalty in their first attack, after three minutes. Bjorn Johnsen played the ball infield along the 18 yard line. Jamie Walker touched it past Kevin Gomis, who caught him late. WALKER took the spot kick and scored, sending Scott Bain the wrong way.
      The early stages were difficult for the Dark Blues, who struggled to get the ball off Hearts. The visitors were keeping possession well and spraying the ball around confidently. Krystian Nowak went close with a snapshot from 18 yards. Jamie Walker ran clear onto a John Souttar chip, only for Scott Bain to push his angled drive round the post.
      After a tough opening 15 minutes Dundee worked their back into the game without offering any serious threat to Jack Hamilton’s goal. If Hearts looked good coming forward they were less impressive in defence where they took unnecessary chances and were inclined to lose concentration. Nowak dived in on Craig Wighton who slipped clear and cut the ball back for James Vincent to blaze his shot well over. Tom Hateley was no closer when he tried his luck from 30 yards. It was hardly vintage attacking, but at last Dundee were carrying the game to Hearts.
      As the first half wound to a conclusion Hearts picked up their game again, looking dangerous every time they attacked. Bain saved well from a Paterson header at a corner. The Dee keeper was then called into action again to keep out Johnsen and Walker. Centre back John Souttar burst forward and his powerful 20 yard shot was turned away for a corner by Bain.
      When the half time whistle sounded the Dark Blues were happy to be only a goal in arrears with the hope that the second half might bring an improvement. Julen Etxabeguren came on as a straight replacement for Kevin Gomis at half time. The second half started just as badly for the Dee as the first had done; Hearts extended their lead only three minutes after the restart. Don Cowie’s free kick from the right was met by Callum PATERSON and his header flew inside the far post.
      Paul McGowan was sent into the fray, replacing Mark O’Hara, and the battling midfielder was immediately involved. Hearts couldn’t clear a Hateley free kick and McGowan knocked the ball back into the danger area. Marcus Haber headed down for Wighton, whose shot was blocked. Darren O’DEA took the ball, showed neat footwork to make space, and scored with a low shot from 10 yards.
      Hearts responded with their best attack of the second half, and Walker shot high and wide after Paterson had dummied over a Johnsen cross. It was the last clear chance that Hearts managed to create. They had plenty of possession and pressure but the Dundee defence was resolute, unlike the Jam Tarts rearguard who always looked fragile under pressure.
      There was a lengthy delay while Don Cowie received treatment after colliding with Scott Bain. Eventually he was stretchered off and replaced by Robbie Muirhead. After that Hearts were never again the same force and while Dundee were far from their best they were fighting furiously and always looked capable of unsettling the visitors’ defence.
      After 71 minutes the Dark Blues scored the sort of goal that Hearts had been threatening to concede. 30 yards from his own goal Liam Smith lost out to the pressing of Craig Wighton. James Vincent picked up the ball, ran into the penalty area and set up Paul McGOWAN who stabbed the ball past Hamilton from close range.
      Hearts didn’t learn their lesson, and Muirhead lost the ball on the half way line to Hateley who ran 40 yards before his shot was blocked for a corner. As other players tired Cammy Kerr seemed to grow stronger, and his powerful runs down the right started to cause Hearts real problems. Kerr ran onto a long pass from Etxabeguren, checked back and flighted over a lovely cross for Wighton, who couldn’t get enough power on his header from six yards out, sending the ball straight at Hamilton.
      Three minutes into injury time Cammy Kerr slipped past Liam Smith, who fouled him just outside the penalty area. Tom Hateley whipped in a great free kick for Marcus HABER to smash a match-winning header past Hamilton, a goal that was celebrated as wildly in the stands as on the park.
      The injury to Cowie, and other delays, meant that were a remarkable 11 minutes of injury time. Hearts attacked frantically, but with little composure and the Dundee defence kept their heads, defending superbly. The final whistle was met with joy from the home stands, the win being all the sweeter after defeat had seemed inevitable early in the second half. The Hearts fans looked on in horrified disbelief. They will doubtless feel that their team threw away the points tonight, and they would be right. Hearts were impressive going forward in the first half, but in the second half, after they went 2-0 ahead they were casual at the back and in midfield.
      Dundee won not because they played pretty football, but because they stuck to their jobs with steely determination and fought their way back from what looked a hopeless position. While Dundee increasingly forced errors from Hearts they made few themselves in the second half, and ruthlessly punished Hearts’ failings. This was a tremendous team performance in which the players rose magnificently to the challenge. It was a cold, wet, miserable night at Dens, but the fighting spirit of the Dundee players warmed the hearts of the supporters. It was a fine Christmas present for the fans!
      Dundee FC 3-5-2
      Gomis (Etxabeguren, half time), Gadzhalov, O’Dea (c)
      Kerr, Hateley, Vincent, O’Hara (McGowan 52), Holt
      Haber, Wighton
      Unused subs: Mitchell (gk), Williams, Ross, El Bakhtaoui, Loy.
      Goals: O’Dea (53), McGowan (71), Haber (90+3).
      Booked: Holt (preventing quick free kick being taken).
      Hearts 4-4-1-1
      Paterson, Souttar, Rossi, Smith (Rherras 90+4)
      Cowie (Muirhead 64), Nowak, Kitchen, Djoum
      Walker (Watt 90+1)
      Unused subs: Noring (gk), Ozturk, Sammon, Zanatta.
      Goals: Walker (3 pen), Paterson (48).
      Booked: Smith (foul on Kerr).
      Attendance: 6,160 (1,400 Hearts supporters).
      Referee: Kevin Clancy. Assistants: Graham McNeillie, John McCrossan. 4th official: Andrew Dallas.
      Report: James Christie.
    • TheDarkBlues
      By TheDarkBlues
      Dundee made three changes. Darren O’Dea and Nicky Low were injured and Cammy Kerr started on the bench. Kosta Gadzhalov, James Vincent and Tom Hateley came into the starting eleven. Hearts made two changes, bringing in Alim Ozturk and Don Cowie in place of Faycal Rherras and Sam Nicholson.
      Faissal El Bakhatoui almost burst clean through in the first minute, but was denied by an Ozturk tackle at the expense of a corner. The hosts were quickly into their stride, however, and put the Dark Blue defence under serious pressure in the first 10 minutes. Jamie Walker got in the way of a Kevin Gomis clearance and the ball rebounded to Connor Sammon whose shot was blocked by Scott Bain. Hearts’ right back Callum Paterson was always keen to get forward and he shot just wide of Bain’s near post after cutting in from the right. After 10 minutes Don Cowie’s curling shot was heading for the top corner till Tony Watt’s glancing header sent the ball over the bar.
      Dundee fought their way back into the match and caused Hearts problems with the running of Yordi Teijsse and Faissal El Bakhtaoui, who was showing some neat touches on the ball. After El Bakhtaoui was fouled just outside the penalty area Tom Hateley struck the top of the crossbar with his free kick.
      On the half hour mark Dundee escaped in a goalmouth scramble which ended with Watt’s shot striking Walker. At the other end Hearts’ defence got into a mess following a corner and Kosta Gadzhalov’s 25 yard rocket was bravely turned over the bar by John Souttar with his head. The Dee’s best spell of the first half followed, with the midfield holding the ball well and keeping Hearts under pressure for a spell. However, Scott Bain had to be at his best to keep out Aranud Djoum’s 18 yard shot, then beat away Callum Paterson’s header from the corner. The fist half action ended with Gadzhalov heading over from a Hateley corner.
      If Hearts had the best of the first half it was certainly Dundee who started the stronger side after the break. Terrific persistence by Teijsse kept Hearts’ defence under pressure and the ball broke to Hateley who rifled in a swerving ahot from 18 yards only to see the ball beat Hamilton and come back off the post. El Bakhatoui brought a good save from 20 yards out of Jack Hamilton after drifting deep to pick up the ball in space and running at the defence. When the resulting corner came over Gadzhalov’s powerful header crashed against the crossbar.
      For the next few minutes play raced from end to end and Scott Bain saved well from Walker after the Hearts’ winger cut in from the left. Teijsse passed up a great chance after muscling Rossi off the ball, but pulled his shot wide from 15 yards with a clear sight of goal. The Dark Blues had a scare when Gadzhalov miscued a clearance in his penalty area and the ball struck his hand, but the referee Mr Clancy decided, correctly, that it was an accident.
      Dundee struck the post for the fouth time when Teijsse turned neatly and hit a low shot against the bottom of Hamilton’s post from the edge of the penalty area. Hearts were still dangerous when they got the chance to attack, and Danny Williams made a goal saving block from Djoum in a goalmouth stramash. Teijsse’s eager pressing again won the ball deep in Hearts’ half and Hateley’s hard, low cross flew across goal and was deflected wide for a corner.
      Hearts finally broke the deadlock after 68 minutse with a simple set piece goal. Substitute Robbie Muirhead’s free kick delivery from the left was beautifully flighted for Callum PATERSON to rise and head across Bain and into the top corner. The goal rocked Dundee and it took them a few minutes to get back into their flow.
      Paul Hartley sent on Michael Duffy and Cammy Kerr to replace James Vincent and Tom Hateley, then with five minutes left replaced Gadzhalov with Rory Loy.
      A fine Djoum pass sent Walker to the byline but Kevin Holt cut out his cross. Igor Rossi headed over from the corner. Djoum had a couple of efforts, the first a 22 yard shot blasted straight into Bain’s midriff. He then wriggled his way into the penalty area but Holt blocked his shot. From the corner Bain pulled off a marvellous save at point blank range from substitute Bjorn Johnsen. Hearts had an escape themselves following a corner when Yordi Teijsse was free 10 yards out, but he powered his header just wide.
      After 89 minutes Hearts put the game out of Dundee’s reach when JOHNSEN turned in Walker’s cutback at the near post. In injury time Rory Loy was denied a consolation goal that would have been the least the Dee deserved, but Hamilton saved his angled drive superbly.
      This defeat leave the Dark Blues at the foot of the table, but if they continue to play like this they will surely climb the table. The team was hard working, kept their shape, and created some good chances. All that was missing was a clinical finish or a stroke of luck. Certainly the players have no need to be despondent after their performances today. Dundee were competitive all over the pitch, and gave Hearts a very hard match with the result in doubt until the 89th minute.
      Heart of Midlothian FC 4-4-2
      Paterson, Ozturk, Souttar, Rossi
      Djoum, Cowie (Buaben 86), Kitchen, Walker
      Sammon (Johnsen 72), Watt (Muirhead 56)
      Unused subs: Noring (gk), Oshaniwa, Nowak, Currie.
      Goals: Paterson (68), Johnsen (89).
      Booked: Ozturk (foul on El Bakhataoui),
      Dundee FC 3-5-2
      Gomis, Gadzhalov (Loy 85), Holt
      Hateley (Kerr 76, McGowan, Vincent (Duffy 76), O’Hara, Williams
      El Bakhtaoui, Teijsse
      Unused subs: Gourlay (gk), Etxabeguren, Ross, Wighton.
      Booked: McGowan (foul on Rossi).
      Attendance: 16,512 (734 Dundee supporters).
      Referee: Kevin Clancy. Assistants: Brian Templeton, Graham McNeillie. Fourth official: Alan Newlands.
      Report: James Christie.

About Us

The Dark Blues

The unofficial forum of Dundee Football Club! Follow us for News, light hearted banter or the more serious discussions regarding the Mighty Dee!

Recent Tweets