The Dark Blues

The Magnificent Dab Admin Thread

Rate this topic

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

The BBC article, presumably posted 'live' from their AGM this evening (???...assumed that, as there's no article in Courier/ET yet), didn't say what their financial year-end was, that produced both this £3.7m loss & the 133% wage/turnover ratio.

As accounts have to be lodged with Companies House within 10 months, I'd guess it's not like ours (ie, based on the season), but is the calendar year to 31st Dec 2018?

Ogren took over last December, and they brought in a lot of players in January 2019, so it may be likely they'll be looking at a similarly big loss for 2019. Ogren will be covering those losses, which seem to me to be bigger than our cumulative losses for the whole of FPS's ownership, so far.

It'll be interesting to see, in April 2020, what our loss was for last season....given the scale of squad turnover between NM/JM regimes, and the payoffs, it won't make nice reading, but I'd be amazed if it's anywhere close to £3.7m. 

That is a lot of money for a club that are supposed to be 'Well run and a model to every other club'!

Can't see their new owner pissing money like that every year without getting something back!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For people of my age, (55), this is it   Born a week after the European Cup Semi, too young to fully appreciate the decent side of the 60's to mid 70's. Not allowed to go to the only major t

No pragmatism from me - I detest Arabs and want United run into the ground. The night we relegated them at Dens is up there with the birth of my child.  

Didn’t know where to post this but I think this is the perfect place. Yesterday afternoon, I was in The Dundee United club shop, I made sure to not touch anything tangy or that which was a challe

Posted Images

2 hours ago, TheDarkBlues said:

That is a lot of money for a club that are supposed to be 'Well run and a model to every other club'!

Can't see their new owner pissing money like that every year without getting something back!

It is, especially if it's been repeated this year/season.

I don't pay any attention to their accounts, but I think it was reported that Ogren had also bought / bought back their assets including Tannadice when he took over. If he did, that's a huge investment with no obvious return at present.

As Cobra commented above, those two black holes at either end of Sandeman Street are sucking in a lot of both owners' funds. Whether both/either can turn this into profitable or break-even businesses after getting back up to the Premiership will be interesting, but in our case, the stadium situation is probably the key factor.

• Like 1

Alan Pattullo wrote a great article on this here https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/dundee-united-s-wage-to-turnover-ratio-is-a-mammoth-133-per-cent-1-5033371

What I find really interesting is the comment by @Cobra about what promotion means for them. They will have to spend a fortune on new players, their attendances are already around what they averaged in the Premiership and won't increase by much, and they will soon find that breaking out from that bottom half quagmire is not easy at all. See Hibs and Hearts. It seems to take several years to fully establish Premiership credentials and that is just to more or less guarantee survival. Challenging for the league and cups is a completely different thing and could take five years or more.

It is difficult for any Dee to criticize what they are doing given our history and current financial situation, but at least we are dealing in much smaller sums and our backers are looking to end up with a whole new football, shopping and entertainment complex (plus a crematorium). As others have pointed out, what will he get for his investment? Another UEFA cup final? I can't see it.

Dundee fans know better than any club in Scotland that there is no money to be made in the Championship, We must presume that our losses will not be to far behind United's, both clubs are badly miss managed and something always has to give. United as we know are quite a fortunate club when it comes to selling players and sell on clauses etc., Dundee are useless in this department and have been for as long as I can remember. Although we can all raise an eyebrow to the "well run and model club" that the media portrayed, I think we should be more concerned with our own club and its Managing Director (John Nelms).

• Like 1

It’s an added pressure on the filth. Same as extending managers deal. Their losses will surely be bigger this season. And the unbeatables tag looking ridiculous in October. Under pressure- pleasing. Mon the jags tonight

• 5 months later...

I noticed Shankland is quoted as saying

"I wouldn't like to be handed promotion"

Guid ain Lawrence. We're behind you :bye:

21 hours ago, Gedee said:

I noticed Shankland is quoted as saying

"I wouldn't like to be handed promotion"

Guid ain Lawrence. We're behind you :bye:

What he meant is he wouldn't like it,  he'd love it!  

• 4 months later...
On 18/02/2017 at 20:55, Spiritof62 said:

Rumours circulating around the Michelin Plant and some Dundee pubs that United are in deep financial doo doo.

Talk of Admin or even liquidation.

Bored, and trawling round old topics, I found this, and think it somewhat ironic that the Arabs are still here, but Michelin aren't!!

1 hour ago, wearedarkblue87 said:

This is a beautiful thread and should always be around. 

It does seem a little bit redundant at the moment,  after their auspicious start ...

Still it will be more to savour once the defeats start and the desperation sets in :bye:

• Like 1