Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Hartley's Players, McCann's Tactics

DFC1974

Not made the last 2 games so the question I have is: What is the significant difference to McCann's style and Hartley's in terms of how we play?

I'm not tactically minded but I know Hartley liked it try a narrow build up before desperately opting for the 'lump it' towards Haber's head approach.

It's the same players, so other than the new lease of confidence instilled, what is the noticeable differences on the pitch?

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
3 minutes ago, DFC1974 said:

Not made the last 2 games so the question I have is: What is the significant difference to McCann's style and Hartley's in terms of how we play?

I'm not tactically minded but I know Hartley liked it try a narrow build up before desperately opting for the 'lump it' towards Haber's head approach.

It's the same players, so other than the new lease of confidence instilled, what is the noticeable differences on the pitch?

Good question and tbh it's hard to detect a difference - apart from the players confidence.

McGowan is playing a lot further up the park.  Very good in the last two games and doing his business around the opposition box and not ours.  He has put in a tremendous shift in both games, chasing, harrying, doing his pirouettes and then setting up Haber's goal.

Taking McGowan away from the defensive role has maybe allowed Vincent (and Hateley to flourish).  Vincent was my first half MOTM today and I called him an imposter after the Hamilton game!.

Holt just looks a more confident player defensively and attacking.

Haber is putting in some shifts and running himself into the ground.

O'Hara, as well as being on the right side and winning high balls is getting into the box and looking dangerous.

Gomis is just looking solid rather than a bombscare.

O'Dea, Kerr and the others, it's the same level as usual imo.

Apart form McGowan imo, it just looks like a lot of the players have a bit of belief in themselves.

Prior to McCann taking over, I used to worry about us going a goal down.  Now we look like we have goals in us.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Attilio said:

Good question and tbh it's hard to detect a difference - apart from the players confidence.

McGowan is playing a lot further up the park.  Very good in the last two games and doing his business around the opposition box and not ours.  He has put in a tremendous shift in both games, chasing, harrying, doing his pirouettes and then setting up Haber's goal.

Taking McGowan away from the defensive role has maybe allowed Vincent (and Hateley to flourish).  Vincent was my first half MOTM today and I called him an imposter after the Hamilton game!.

Holt just looks a more confident player defensively and attacking.

Haber is putting in some shifts and running himself into the ground.

O'Hara, as well as being on the right side and winning high balls is getting into the box and looking dangerous.

Gomis is just looking solid rather than a bombscare.

O'Dea, Kerr and the others, it's the same level as usual imo.

Apart form McGowan imo, it just looks like a lot of the players have a bit of belief in themselves.

Prior to McCann taking over, I used to worry about us going a goal down.  Now we look like we have goals in us.

Completely agree we seem to be carrying much more threat in the attacking third and getting midfielders in and around the box. 

Also hope El Bak can build on that performance as he was very good today. 

We really could have scored 3 or 4 today. 

1 minute ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

Completely agree we seem to be carrying much more threat in the attacking third and getting midfielders in and around the box. 

Also hope El Bak can build on that performance as he was very good today. 

We really could have scored 3 or 4 today. 

Very, very good.  I hope his performance has put to bed the myth that some folks had that he might struggle to produce at this level.  Even apart from his magnificent 'switch' ball today, he was outstanding and Killie at times had no answer to his play.  A shoe in to start next week I think.

Players seem to understand their roles and how they work as a unit, Bain also talks of how they are playing a higher line. Confidence is considerably higher also which is key. 

As was said many times before the team was performing to below the sum of its parts under PH. McCann appears to have them above it. 

• Like 1

It's night and day. 

You can tell you're watching a team that is well drilled and organised. 

Going forward as a unit, defending as a unit.

Players like McGowan concentrating on their own game rather than moaning, and playing much better for it. Getting numbers forward and into the box has been important, I've no idea why Hartley was so negative with his set up. You can see the players naturally want to attack when we have the ball. 

The midfield is also battling like mad in there. Vincent hardly lost a challenge yesterday. It's a pleasure to watch players giving their all like that. Sometimes you've just got to let them get on with it. 

If we keep playing like that and McCann gets the job permanent, which he should, then we deserve to sell the most amount of season tickets in years. The fans will love that type of football. 

• Like 5

We've been fantastic in the last 2 games but one aspect worries we. Holt taking free kicks and corners from our right side. Holt had a good game and he's obviously told to do it. Twice they broke quickly and we were very disorganised as he tried to get back in position. Hateley used to take them but now it's been passed to Holt. Just seemed like risky business to me especially when we were ahead in the game. 

6 minutes ago, Blue4evr said:

We've been fantastic in the last 2 games but one aspect worries we. Holt taking free kicks and corners from our right side. Holt had a good game and he's obviously told to do it. Twice they broke quickly and we were very disorganised as he tried to get back in position. Hateley used to take them but now it's been passed to Holt. Just seemed like risky business to me especially when we were ahead in the game. 

There's a logic for having your left footed players taking kicks and corners from the right, the whole 'inswinging' thing. We've seen KH take some good free kicks in the past too, as long as we're leaving enough guys back to cover then for me its fine. To be honest it used to annoy me at corners that we'd leave KH back covering the guy on the half way line given that he's one of our taller players.

It seems to be generally accepted that, before the arrival of NM (especially in the most recent games) DFC players were being asked to do things, individually, they never understood, or were even capable of. As a team the same applied to tactics/systems for the day. I would think the attitude to that would vary. Some players may make the best of it, and go out & do their best. Some may be stubborn or simply NOT be able to do what is asked of them. But what would follow, is if all of this fell apart on the day, is players' rising anger & frustration ... as more poor results & performances followed the one before that ... (all the stuff in this post is only as I see it)

I imagine football players (probably like most of us) do what we do, because as well as giving us a reasonable living, we enjoy it & know we are pretty good at it. If a few compliments come along the way, while we are doing our job, well so much the better. Athletes & sportsman & footballers are on a stage ....they thrive on the adulation they are giving when they perform at their best. If for whatever reason this is not forthcoming, and even worse the fans/spectators aggressively turn on them ... then it goes beyond the stage of,stubborness, frustration, anger. I think they then start questioning themselves and the match day day experiece can become one of dread. Leading on to disharmony, depression and this awful lack of confidence which can not only be a personal problem, but something that can spread like a negative aggressive virus through the whole team ...

(And just as another point no' quite on the same topic ... That's why I try to avoid negativity, where & whenever possible, on just about any subject. Positivity works for me)

Bearing in mind what I said in that last comment, I am not going to Look negatively on PH's overall time as manager of DFC. I liked the man...But it was his time to move.

I get things wrong all the time. So when I say I think Neil McCann has not only worked wonders I think he  will go on to be something really special. It's worth bearing in

mind tho' that any endorsements given by me are usualy the kiss of death. All the good things about him have already been said, by me & most others. So at least in this

post I will no' list them again. But no' sooner did he arrive & the first strong message he got over was, he saw good players that no surpringly seemed to lack confidence

If my memory is correct, he never directed any blame at all on PH. Since his arrival he has took a real hold of this situation in a positive, focused manner, instilling in the

DFC players, the same clear, calm, simple, articulate message, FOCUS, POSITIVITY, DETERMINATION & CONFIDENCE in YOUR OWN ABILITY & WE CAN DO IT.

He may also have added you've not had much chance to experience recently, just how great DFC fans & supporters can be.... But you will again soon The MIGHTY DEE

• Like 2

Adblock Detected