Jump to content
The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
kumnio

The Batshit Crazy Dundee Manager Thread

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Gedee said:

Rev ... To your comment above, could we also add. someone who will galvanise the .... whole DFC support?

Or is that me, just being ridiculous again :lol2:

When I said the whole club I meant everyone, fans, players, staff, directors, everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GregTeamDee said:

Nelms and McCann meeting today. 

Is that 100% mate?. McCann has been quoted as saying he'll talk to both his employers over the coming WEEKS before making a decision. That suggests that we wont hear of his final decision anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

When I said the whole club I meant everyone, fans, players, staff, directors, everyone.

Aye Rev, eh kent fine weel ye did ..... It was mair a tongue in cheek comment.

Aboot how us, as DFC fans on TDBF, how us (based on past record) interpret,

and express the merit/ faults of current managers. A topic aye good for a fight.:angry:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
7 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Is that 100% mate?. McCann has been quoted as saying he'll talk to both his employers over the coming WEEKS before making a decision. That suggests that we wont hear of his final decision anytime soon.

110%. 

The BOD want things in place asap, so we can start the rebuilding job. We don't have time to waste. Clock is ticking.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Is that 100% mate?. McCann has been quoted as saying he'll talk to both his employers over the coming WEEKS before making a decision. That suggests that we wont hear of his final decision anytime soon.

I'd be very surprised if McCann was being sincere in the specific timeline he has projected. We've not got a long time to get organised with teams making moves and the window of opportunity for changing the squad gets smaller each day. We've got maybe a week and then I think we're into very late territory (contracts expire at the start of next week I believe).

I think Nelms will have made his decision already and if he's going for McCann and that's mutual, I imagine we've got Sky notified and they'll already be in the process of sorting stuff out. I don't see why there would be any issue apart from bits of paperwork.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GregTeamDee said:

110%. 

The BOD want things in place asap, so we can start the rebuilding job. We don't have time to waste. Clock is ticking.... 

I get that the clock is ticking for us but is it ticking for abody else?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

A Ravanelli type appointment would put us at risk financially imo. He'd either take us straight down or require stupid funds to build a side. Would be extremely worried if we were even considering going down this road.:sadno:

I can understand your fears tho id be confident that the current owners would not allow this to happen.

Also i think its worth noting that its my belief that PH overspent in his time at Dundee - in the sense of numourous pay offs and signing players for the sake of it.... Hately /Arturo / Low / Mcpake 3 year deal etc

I do think a name like a Ravanelli would bring an air of excitment to the club , and i think a Billy Reid would be a sure bet that he`d make us more aggresive while looking to develop Wighton , Kerr and Higgings

Suppose every Dee will have a different opinion to what type of manager we need.

It still may be the case that McCann will take the job on - if so then no problems from me however McCann would just as big a risk as a Ravanelli but an even more risk than Reid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CC33 said:

I can understand your fears tho id be confident that the current owners would not allow this to happen.

Also i think its worth noting that its my belief that PH overspent in his time at Dundee - in the sense of numourous pay offs and signing players for the sake of it.... Hately /Arturo / Low / Mcpake 3 year deal etc

I do think a name like a Ravanelli would bring an air of excitment to the club , and i think a Billy Reid would be a sure bet that he`d make us more aggresive while looking to develop Wighton , Kerr and Higgings

Suppose every Dee will have a different opinion to what type of manager we need.

It still may be the case that McCann will take the job on - if so then no problems from me however McCann would just as big a risk as a Ravanelli but an even more risk than Reid.

We saw with Bonetti what left field, Italian appointments could do, both good and bad. They can bring charisma and passion but are often far too erratic. Look at Di Canio, great for headlines but not so great for everything else. Ravanelli could potentially finish us as a mid table SPFL club and set us back years. Definitely a heart ruling the head suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time isn't the critical factor for me here. Anyone coming in will take time to assess the squad (presuming they are off on holiday now for a month or so). If it's not McCann then it simply has to be someone who knows the Scottish game. We can't be having a gaffer who's first knowledge of the squad is day one of preseason as this doesn't allow enough time for squad rebuilding. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I understand, Billy Reid is sticking in Sweden as an assistant to the club he's been at for the past four years. He said he's enjoying life there and unlikely to be coming back.

For what it's worth, I do see a good left field argument in him if he were to be a surprise appointee. He got Hamilton punching far above their weight and his work there paved the away for their bounce back into the top flight. I feel he's a victim of his own success as people perceived his teams to be quite negative but he ended up with the smallest budget by far in the top flight and was fighting well with the tools he had at his disposal. What he achieved there with his club building and the stability he provided is pretty much exactly what the owners have been aspiring to for years. There is maybe a reason for his lack of top job in recent years though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

We saw with Bonetti what left field, Italian appointments could do, both good and bad. They can bring charisma and passion but are often far too erratic. Look at Di Canio, great for headlines but not so great for everything else. Ravanelli could potentially finish us as a mid table SPFL club and set us back years. Definitely a heart ruling the head suggestion.

I think its just as dangerous appointing say a Yogi for example as a Ravanelli.
Dundee is a big club and its a different ball game managing Caley than it is Dundee - i have the same opinion that its easier to play football for Caley / County etc than it is Dundee as there are far more demands from dees than there is for Caley. less pressure etc

Edited by CC33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CC33 said:

I think its just as dangerous appointing say a Yogi for example as a Ravanelli.
Dundee is a big club and its a different ball game managing Caley than it is Dundee - i have the same opinion that its easier to play football for Caley / County etc than it is Dundee as there are far more demands from from dees than there is for Caley.

We don't need another rollercoaster ride, that's what appointing a Ravanelli would be. A very short term appointment with no real thought of the bigger picture. We'd probably be big news and maybe put a few more bums on seats but at what cost?. If that appointment ever happens I honestly fear for us I really do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ivan Drago said:

Time isn't the critical factor for me here. Anyone coming in will take time to assess the squad (presuming they are off on holiday now for a month or so). If it's not McCann then it simply has to be someone who knows the Scottish game. We can't be having a gaffer who's first knowledge of the squad is day one of preseason as this doesn't allow enough time for squad rebuilding. 

Bingo.. that's one of the big benefits of appointing Neil McCann. He'll know what needs done to the squad right now (hopefully he agrees with most of us) 

Still hoping for Jack Ross though :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Boba Fett said:

Bingo.. that's one of the big benefits of appointing Neil McCann. He'll know what needs done to the squad right now (hopefully he agrees with most of us) 

Still hoping for Jack Ross though :) 

If its not McCann I've a feeling it could be Ross. To be honest there doesn't seem to be a large pool of options out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Reverend Lovejoy said:

If its not McCann I've a feeling it could be Ross. To be honest there doesn't seem to be a large pool of options out there.

Would be happy with either Rev..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.