The Dark Blues
Ricky Spanish

The New Stadium Thread

Rate this topic

Just now, Boba Fett said:

This is still the benchmark for me. If we could even get close to replicating this I'd be delighted..

Fibresand-pitch-at-Rotherham-United.jpg

Apart from the obvious glitches of course.

• Like 1

The land being used for the training ground, is that not the land that was going to be used for original performance centre bid that Dundee lost a few years back. If so then it may be that as it was set aside anyway, the council have been a bit easier to deal with around this area.

Another image of land being used on BBC

_97440887_dundeefc.png.jpeg

Yeah it is , but going by the objections about building on caird park..the same thing might be likely to happen with any plans that would be built in camperdown?...though that area is mainly unused fields with public paths around  it

Still lots of ifs and buts here and we're a while off a costing plan (which would be nice), but still really positive news.

Can we have a massive fish tank? Tropical fish n' that. If the futba's keech, I can watch the Siamese fighting fish go at it. 

I could then write 'during the match, the games begin'.

28 minutes ago, CJ45 said:

Yeah it is , but going by the objections about building on caird park..the same thing might be likely to happen with any plans that would be built in camperdown?...though that area is mainly unused fields with public paths around  it

Perhaps the Americans  have weighed these things up. Hope there are not any major planning  problems .   I hope that the project is up and running asap  and we have a Dee legend cutting the first sod  of earth.

I'm looking forward to the Dryburgh underpass becoming our version of the Easter Rd bridge ?

2 hours ago, binhoker said:

Can one not have a teeny weeny bit of fun laddo ?;):)

Sorry but yes of course...I just thought your post semed to undermine the views of fans who may be pretty well qualified in life.

1 hour ago, binhoker said:

Perhaps the Americans  have weighed these things up. Hope there are not any major planning  problems .   I hope that the project is up and running asap  and we have a Dee legend cutting the first sod  of earth.

Its not in the park.

With the SRU looking to fund 4 additional semi-pro rugby teams in Scotland and the locations not decided this would be an opportunity to get the stadium used more often.

with the new grass technologies sharing with a rugby team is not the problem it was-happens in s few places down south.

Hopefully somebody is switched on enough to pursue this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Sorry but yes of course...I just thought your post semed to undermine the views of fans who may be pretty well qualified in life.

Apologies Billy  yes, my post was probably ambiguous  and badly put together .  There will be much good debate about the new facility , and it is good to hear from all opinions. It could be a great step forward for the Dee . I will be sad  to leave Dens, but this could be the beginning of a new era where the Dee move with the times instead of putting sentiment before  practicality . The face of football is changing and the commercial forces are overwhelming. We seem to have owners who are up to the task of change for the better and , thereby, survival . The days of mens' pocket money being payment for a game and a few pints  are over- tis big business now .

4 hours ago, Cobra said:

15,000 makes sense. If we draw Celtic or Rangers in a cup quarter-final we'll make a lot of money from a full house.

We could always close the back sections of ends for smaller games so the fans are down the front and the ground doesn't look half empty.

I agree, there are loads of grounds where this is done regularly, they open up the top tier for bigger games & for other events, concerts, etc. It's not all that different from what we do with the Shankly.

I don't quite believe in the "if you build it, they will come" fantasy, but I did witness something close to that when I lived in Stavanger. Viking, who usually had under 5,000 in their old, wet & windy, concrete stand & open terracing municipal stadium surrounded by houses, moved out of town to a new 15,000 stadium, they more than doubled their crowds. The football was the same, but they got the location, transport, ticket prices, catering facilities, and design right...and by coincidence it's dark blue.

1 hour ago, WoodStein said:

I agree, there are loads of grounds where this is done regularly, they open up the top tier for bigger games & for other events, concerts, etc. It's not all that different from what we do with the Shankly.

I don't quite believe in the "if you build it, they will come" fantasy, but I did witness something close to that when I lived in Stavanger. Viking, who usually had under 5,000 in their old, wet & windy, concrete stand & open terracing municipal stadium surrounded by houses, moved out of town to a new 15,000 stadium, they more than doubled their crowds. The football was the same, but they got the location, transport, ticket prices, catering facilities, and design right...and by coincidence it's dark blue.

I'm hoping that we can design a low roof that reaches out to the pitch (kind of like Plymouth's) as it conceals the back of each stand.

1024px-Homepark2.png

The Shankly and the Cox have high roofs that expose every seat from the outside. If we replicate that style in a 15,000 stadium it's not going to look good with a 5,000 crowd even if we move folk to the front section.

A new modern stadium will certainly improve all round facilities and atmosphere.

Dens can be ghostly at times due to spaces between the stands and the sparsely populated N Enclosure.

People nowadays expect decent, modern facilities in exchange for their cash.

Courier this morning - "it is expected the stadiums capacity would be at least 50% greater than Dens Park, which can hold 11,500 fans" 

Thats 17250 seats - something the size of Tynecastle! 

8 hours ago, Cobra said:

I'm hoping that we can design a low roof that reaches out to the pitch (kind of like Plymouth's) as it conceals the back of each stand.

1024px-Homepark2.png

The Shankly and the Cox have high roofs that expose every seat from the outside. If we replicate that style in a 15,000 stadium it's not going to look good with a 5,000 crowd even if we move folk to the front section.

Not aimed at you Cobra, but just a general observation.

I get this move folk down the front to make it look full thing, but I couldn't really care what armchair fans think of the game. I chose a seat near the back of the Cox because it's where I feel I get the best view and I'd hate to be 'encouraged' to sit in the front few rows where I can barely see the goal at the other end of the pitch (or either goal if I'm at the side of the pitch), or the shape of the game, so that someone casting half an eye on the game at home can think, oh this 4,867 crowd really fills that ground...

15,000 to 17,000 is far too big.

12,000 Is more than adequate for us.

The only way you'd get close to filling 15,000 plus is for one of the Old Firm visiting title decider for them.

We haven't had a demand for a 15,000 capacity for nearly 30 years. 

It's a myth the Old Firm will fill it too. For a title decider, yes. They take 8000 or whatever to Killie due to its geography. They have spare unsold tickets for Dens and Tannadice for 4,000 to 5,000 away capacities every time they visit the city. It's rarely 100 percent full.

We have 4000 to 5500 regulars these days dependent on how the teams doing, division, price etc. 

We get around 7000 home fans for derbies.

We can once a decade pull 10 thousand home fans such as Dumbarton title decider, Perugia at Dens.

Quite excited about the prospect of a new stadium up there anyway and the money it could make the club.

Will still believe it when I see it though.

There's plans but then there's funding and the work actually taking place and being completed. Think Aberdeen have had plans for 10 to 15 years now.

Exciting idea though.

Edited by CW 90+3 02/05/16
  • Thanks 1

Couldn't see anything on the online version of The Courier this morning. Do DCT have a problem with DFC, and vice versa?

I don't think people should get too worked up about about capacities, corners being filled in etc at this stage. 

Wait until the designs are on display. Until then we're dealing in rumour and guesswork. 

And as CW says, the odds of this ever happening are still against us for many reasons.

Good to see evidence of the board's ambition and commitment once again.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Double Blue said:

Couldn't see anything on the online version of The Courier this morning. Do DCT have a problem with DFC, and vice versa?

Front page and a further two pages in Dundee print version.

32 minutes ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

The only way you'd get close to filling 15,000 plus is for one of the Old Firm visiting title decider for them.

It's a myth the Old Firm will fill it too. For a title decider, yes. They take 8000 or whatever to Killie due to its geography. They have spare unsold tickets for Dens and Tannadice for 4,000 to 5,000 away capacities every time they visit the city. It's rarely 100 percent full.

We have 4000 to 5500 regulars these days dependent on how the teams doing, division, price etc. 

We can once a decade pull 10 thousand home fans such as Dumbarton title decider, Perugia at Dens.

Quite excited about the prospect of a new stadium up there anyway and the money it could make the club.

There's plans but then there's funding and the work actually taking place and being completed. Think Aberdeen have had plans for 10 to 15 years now.

Exciting idea though.

Very good post mate and I agree wholeheartedly that we as a club don't need the extra (rumoured) 6-7k seats. 

BUT I'd like to think that this whole venture is being looked at from all angles and things like potential music concerts, international games and even rugby matches as per another thread being looked at. I'd be happy for the stadium to be a few thousand above what is required for us when we play if it meant extra revenue throughout the year by using it for various other events. 

43 minutes ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

Exciting idea though.

The only way I could maybe see it is that if you have the ground as a music venue, you've got another 10k in with the pitch space. That's potentially a 25k venue which would be more than double what Slessor Gardens is.

Don't know if that's the plan or not and how these things work but if you are getting a cut of around million in ticket money and then the takings of all the drinking facilities and other catering, you are looking at quite a healthy income if you do it a few times a year.

23 minutes ago, dblair said:

Very good post mate and I agree wholeheartedly that we as a club don't need the extra (rumoured) 6-7k seats. 

BUT I'd like to think that this whole venture is being looked at from all angles and things like potential music concerts, international games and even rugby matches as per another thread being looked at. I'd be happy for the stadium to be a few thousand above what is required for us when we play if it meant extra revenue throughout the year by using it for various other events. 

Pretty much how I see it, it won't just be the DFC ground, it will be used for whatever they can, why have an asset sat there being used 1 day in 14 when it could and should be used to generate as much cash as possible. While the money won't be going in the club's hipper, the owners will be looking to maximise their returns. I still think we'll end up ground sharing with our tangy neighbours at some point, good business financially for FPS if it does come to pass.

1 hour ago, Boba Fett said:

Courier this morning - "it is expected the stadiums capacity would be at least 50% greater than Dens Park, which can hold 11,500 fans" 

Thats 17250 seats - something the size of Tynecastle! 

Tynecastle now 20,000 when new stand opens