Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Defence

Cobra

Lots of positives yesterday but one area for concern was our defence. Looking at goals conceded in the last 16 league games, we've got the worst record in the league over that period. Here's the bottom six for goals conceded in the last 16 matches...

Dundee 33

Motherwell 32

Ross County 29

St Mirren 29

Kilmarnock 21

Partick 20

Watching the first quarter of an hour yesterday it's easy to see why we're shipping so many goals.

The worst example yesterday for me was about 10 minutes in. Pawlett picks the ball up near the dugouts and Davidson forgets he's a centre back and charges over to the touchline leaving a gaping hole in the middle of our defence. McAlister moves to the left back position and Irvine is stranded up the park as he's been attacking. Gadzhalov loses Goodwillie as the offside trap fails. He's busy appealing to the linesman as Goodwillie races down the flank. Meanwhile Hayes runs through the middle in acres of space and nobody bothers to track back with Thompson jogging towards the action and ball-watching. Thankfully Hayes and Rooney waste a golden opportunity to go 2-0 up as McGinn and Bain somehow do enough but it's woeful defending by half our team.

BTQ5T6r.jpg

When we faced Celtic at the start of the season we had two banks of four when we lost possession and it was really hard to create chances against us. Now we've got no discipline when the other team breaks forward. Injuries haven't helped but the whole squad should be drilled in basic organisation.

I suppose it's exciting for the fans watching the Dee trying outscore the opposition but it would be good to see the team demonstrating some basic defending before Celtic come to town. We've got little chance of reaching the last eight defending like we are at the moment.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Can't fault your stats Cobra but imo there are reasons and circumstances behind the stats.

Although he can never ever be faulted for effort, Davidson just isn't good enough at this level, except in emergency.  When McPake is back, it should be him and Kosta at CB, with Konrad as back up. I can also see a case for playing all three.

Thomson is now looking to be fitter and more reliable (touch wood).  His presence at the centre of midfield, in the holding role makes us stronger through the middle.

All season it seems, we have been getting crucified down the flanks.  Like you say, playing with a flat midfield four when we are not in possession makes us stronger but until recently the personnel haven't been good enough to give protection wide left and wide right.  I think we are slowly starting to get this right.

blythswood, on 18 Jan 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

Hard to see the shape of the team sitting in the Derry, but behind the goal at away games it looks to me as if the full backs are too narrow and aren't doing nearly enough to stop crosses coming in. We're losing goals every week from crosses.

Now that has been bugging me all season and it was evident again yesterday.  We are fantastic at making blocks in front of the goal but almost invite the opposition to cross the ball in to our box without busting a gut to stop it.

DD I don't get this constant keeper reference from yourself. ..i agree a steady consistent keeper helps but surely defenders at this level know when not to vacate areas of the pitch that allow holes for teams to hurt us. My bug bear is full backs / wing backs not getting out to close people down and allow easy balls into our box or across the face of goal. Address the basics and results will improve in the goals against column. There's a clip in last night's highlights where McAlister waits on the ball coming to him inside out six yard box ...go and attack it .! Thomson was on the post, rightly rollocked him.

DD I don't get this constant keeper reference from yourself. ..i agree a steady consistent keeper helps but surely defenders at this level know when not to vacate areas of the pitch that allow holes for teams to hurt us. My bug bear is full backs / wing backs not getting out to close people down and allow easy balls into our box or across the face of goal. Address the basics and results will improve in the goals against column. There's a clip in last night's highlights where McAlister waits on the ball coming to him inside out six yard box ...go and attack it .! Thomson was on the post, rightly rollocked him.

I'm a goalkeeper so I'm maybe more judgemental of the defensive side of things.

When we change keepers we change style of defending.

Bain - confident with crosses and saves. Commands his defence when teams are attacking. Tells players that its his ball. Struggles with 1v1s.

Kyle - great at 1 on 1's so player are more confident when they lose an attacker, high balls kill him so players try win everything I'm the air as they know kyles not getting them.

Too many punts up park yesterday straight to Aberdeen when we should have been keeping the ball and running the clock down

100% agree mate..If we had shown a little bit more belief and composure by holding on to the ball in the last twenty minutes we would have weathered the storm I think..

I don't like criticising individual players but I thought McGinn was caught out of position a hell of a lot yesterday, at their third goal their RB chipped the ball to the far post and their players were queuing up to score.

I wonder if Hartley needs a defensive coach, we do look a pretty disorganised bunch at times.

Adblock Detected