Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Dundee Manager Win Records.

Ludo*1

47 members have voted

1. 1. Ignoring statistics, and not including the current incumbent, who was our best manager?

• John Brown
    • Barry Smith
    • Gordon Chisholm
    • Jocky Scott
    • Alex Rae
    • Alan Kernaghan
    • Jim Duffy
    • Ivano Bonetti

Not using this thread as a place to play down or over exaggerate our current or any of our former managers, just thought it was interesting to show each for as far back as Rae. Please note, majority of the information is being taken from the likes of Wiki so allow for slight error!

Paul Hartley - GP: 40. W: 18. D: 10. L: 12. WR: 45%.

John Brown - GP: 39. W: 18. D: 8. L: 13. WR: 46.15%

Barry Smith - GP: 102. W: 39 D: 27 L: 36. WR: 38.24%

Gordon Chisholm - GP: 21. W: 8 D: 5. L: 8 WR: 38.09%

Jocky Scott - GP: 65. W: 31. D: 13. L: 21. WR: 47.69%

Alex Rae - GP: 97. W: 42. D: 22. L: 33. WR: 43.29%

Won't go back further as don't want to relive the Kernaghan era!

Up until our game against Aberdeen, Hartley's record was the same as Bomber's over the same period with an added draw instead of a defeat.

Worth noting that Bomber had 12 games against top flight opposition whilst Hartley has had 24 games against them thus far.

Barry Smith's record is obviously a bit wild considering the contrasting runs of his Deefiant season and the season we were promoted at the last second. Going by his only season in charge that wasn't an extreme situation (Although some would argue it still was as we were playing with our lowest ever budget in Division 1) his record would be:

Barry Smith - GP: 43 W: 18 D: 11 L: 14 WR: 41.80%

No real point to this thread, just a bit of spare time on my hands and thought it was worth sharing!

• Like 1

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Pretty shocked at how high Jocky is on that. I remember him coming in and stabilising us after a bad start with Rae which I thought might pull his win record down given the circumstances. What's most amazing is that I thought it'd be filled with more draws for some reason.

Taking draws into account and doing points per match gives:

Hartley - 1.60

Brown - 1.58

Smith - 1.41 (total), 1.51

Chisholm - 1.38

Jocky - 1.63

Rae - 1.53

Of them, only Chisholm's looks pretty atrocious. Hartley's looks the most impressive given the circumstances but there isn't really much between them on results alone.

I'd say that for previous managers, we have to judge them on their long term legacy as well and the sort of players they brought in for other managers.

Hartley - Looks like many of his signings have a potential to outlive him.

Brown - Pretty poor with most of his signings being dumped by Hartley. Credit to him for getting players in though who could do the job in the end though. He brought in a good 'keeper in Letheren and Peaso who scored us up. It did seem wasteful but we've seen managers mess up building a squad way worse than he did.

Smith - Boyle, Gallagher, Davo, McBride and McAllister were all signed and formed integral parts of Bombers squad (maybe Boyle excluded who found more game time under Hartley). He made some pish short term signings but they all seemed to form some sort of purpose apart from a couple (thinking Bayne and Morgan).

Chisholm - Lockwood, Weston, Riley, O'Donnell and a couple I can't remember anymore were pretty good signings at that level. He was sh**e at using them but he left a good squad for Barry to work with even after it being culled from admin.

Jocky - His big money signings were Griffiths and Harkins. Not complaining about watching them play but with all the money at his disposal (more than any one on this list), he squandered it on absolute sh**e. He didn't bring in any players who would realistically be playing for us for a while so we were just dependent on Griffiths and Harkins to do things for us. If he could have signed half as many players as he did but taken a punt on some younger boys then we might have had a couple who would have stuck admin out or got the club some money (we lost massive amounts on Griffiths and Harkins although that's not really his fault).

Rae - After losing McDonald, Robertson and Dixon, he found replacing them very difficult. Brought Forsyth into the first team which helped future manager but signings out of the club were harder. I suppose Malone, MacKenzie, Lauchlan, Rab, McHale, Curier, McMenamin, Ludo and Paton were left behind for Jocky to work with which in truth wasn't too bad.

Duffy was sacked with the Dee top of the league and we finished seventh under Kerno. JD's knee-jerk, short-sighted sacking was classic Dundee and set us back years. 

I don't know why we waited until the league had started if we were going to do it. We were actually still top of the league and in that division, you could be 9 or 10 points behind at Christmas and go on to win it. We'd only played three league games (Win at home to St Mirren, 1-1 draw at Clyde and 3-1 win at home to QOS).

OK he was never a genius but he'd been at the club for years and was a stable figure. If we wanted a new start in the summer then we should have done it early.

Any one who was following Duffy was going to be in with a pretty tough time given the terrible state of the club. My problem is that we never seem to learn from anything.

Adblock Detected