Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Being A Football Manager Is Not Easy: So Why Make It Harder?

This topic is NOT necessarily about Csaba Lazzlo, but watching him struggle to explain (in his 2nd language) where it might have all went wrong for him & his team in the hammmered 6-1 game (going on 10--1) made me wonder why go along the route, of employing a manager that  is under strain in trying to make himself understood?

I am NOT putting down the man ... because he might weel be a decent fella. But I think it would be better for most Scottish Clubs to go for Scottish Managers (preferably onee wi' experience ' the Scottish Game...And as an added bonus can manage to put twa words together the make some sense...;)

(EH KEN HOW HARD THAT CAN BE) :lol2:

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Gedee said:

This topic is NOT necessarily about Csaba Lazzlo, but watching him struggle to explain (in his 2nd language) where it might have all went wrong for him & his team in the hammmered 6-1 game (going on 10--1) made me wonder why go along the route, of employing a manager that  is under strain in trying to make himself understood?

I am NOT putting down the man ... because he might weel be a decent fella. But I think it would be better for most Scottish Clubs to go for Scottish Managers (preferably onee wi' experience ' the Scottish Game...And as an added bonus can manage to put twa words together the make some sense...;)

(EH KEN HOW HARD THAT CAN BE) :lol2:

Several weeks ago when I was watching Match of the Day my wife asked me why   everybody (players and managers) who was interviewed at the end  of the game were nearly all foreign.

I explained to her that thanks to SKY and BT money the Premier League in England was full of foreign players and managers whose first language was not English.

6 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

Several weeks ago when I was watching Match of the Day my wife asked me why   everybody (players and managers) who was interviewed at the end  of the game were nearly all foreign.

I explained to her that thanks to SKY and BT money the Premier League in England was full of foreign players and managers whose first language was not English.

In most cases, they can probably communicate well enough for football needs - the issue might be when they are communicating with the media etc.

Interesting two posts above ...

And I am glad to see you both,  have picked up on the point, I am NOT cricising personally any manager

To go to your point above HK. In football terms I'm no questioning, their football knowledge or methods.

Maybe it's the "man-management" (for want o' a better word) or interaction, I'd see as the main problem.

I see in recent posts HK, your present & past experience has been in Language & HR...You'll understand.

11 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

Think Islay, the finance aspect (huge money) & the general changing more modern world ....  media, easier travel etc. has had a big effect.

Mostly positive I would hope :) But also bringing in, & accepting/understanding, new cultures, a whole new way of living, adapting to a

new language,  a new set of long-held habits/culture way of life, can be difficult for all parties Whit eh'm eh telling you fir, you're in Islay ;)

Fae the players/manager relationships & interactions, NOT being totally at ease in the Country's language, I'd see that as a huge burden.

(Many a time the the guid folks on here, struggle to understand the "daftness" o' some o meh posts. It widnae work in anither Country):chaplin:

Ideally, you get a manager with strong communication skills (so most likely British or nationalised) but tbh, I think it's really quite a few different things you're looking for. If someone shares the ideas that the board are aspiring to and has some stature in football, it's often the case that you just take a chance that it'll come up to scratch. I remember mocking Southampton for appointing Pochettino who would use his interpreter initially and a year or so later, he seemed pretty understandable and is now one of the most sought-after managers in the world.

I think there may be a bigger issue though with smaller clubs. Even at Hearts, for example, Laszlo would have had 7 or 8 members of the coaching staff at that time (they were huge spenders back then) so it's likely he had the freedom to have a couple of guys who were maybe similar to his background but very good at the language. Now, he's restricted to maybe three coaches who have all been appointed before he's arrived and maybe don't buy into him as much. Premier League teams give new managers a dozen of their own people on arrival and that probably helps a lot.

On Laszlo specifically, I do get the idea that he is maybe very different from his media personality behind the dressing room. He gives me a vibe of someone trying to intentionally play dumb in front of the cameras and it was maybe intensified at the weekend with the nature of the result. I'll hold judgement on him for now though as his record in charge is actually still decent so it's just really a case of how they react to Saturday to define whether it's a freak result or something long-term.

More interesting points raised Harry... I think today's football manager, has a much wider remit & has to fall into (& understand pretty comprehensively) the full ehos of the Club he works for. Its policies, total aims & ambitions. If he has sound technical proven past experience, and can get on board with the rest mentioned, the club can help with the  day to day support, until a time he & players feel totally comfortable with each other.

I think I'm making sense?   It's certainly a different game in every aspect (players & managers) from past days).

6 hours ago, HK Blues said:

In most cases, they can probably communicate well enough for football needs - the issue might be when they are communicating with the media etc.

Hi HK Blues,

My wife remarked to me;

Is there anybody from the UK left In English Premier League football clubs as everybody interviewed at the end of each game on Match of the Day had a foreign accent.

I explained to her that the English Premier League (EPL) clubs were “awash with money” thanks to the SKY and BT TV deals and these clubs were able sign players and appoint managers from all over the world.

Some EPL managers need interpreters to carry out their TV interviews.

4 minutes ago, islaydarkblue said:

Hi HK Blues,

My wife remarked to me;

Is there anybody from the UK left In English Premier League football clubs as everybody interviewed at the end of each game on Match of the Day had a foreign accent.

I explained to her that the English Premier League (EPL) clubs were “awash with money” thanks to the SKY and BT TV deals and these clubs were able sign players and appoint managers from all over the world.

Some EPL managers need interpreters to carry out their TV interviews.

It's probably not that important these days, even if the manager was British 75% of the players are not so the language difficulties would still exist. 

I reckon some Scottish managers would need an interpreter to communicate with the English media.  On that point, here many of the TV shows/films have subtitles for the non-English speaking parts - they often include subtitles for Scottish/Irish/Welsh accents!

Adblock Detected