Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

You Are The Ref!

It's a feature I like that's in The Guardian. Basically it poses three questions on the Friday and asks you how you'd deal with the situation then on the Monday a referee answers each question.

This week the questions are:

1. A maverick striker is furious to be subbed- and, after he steps off the pitch, he petulantly kicks the player who replaced him. The replacement, who had one foot on the pitch, is now too injured to come on, and his side have used up all their subs. What do you do?

2. In a sudden counter-attack, a midfielder plays the ball forward to a colleague who is inside his own half, and clean through on goal. But your assistant flags for offside and the striker stops, shouting in outrage. What now?

3. There are patches of snow on the pitch and wintery flurries in the air. After 20 minutes, the away team in the all-white strip go 2-0 up - prompting the home manager to storm on and complain that his players can't see the opposition clearly. What now?

Former ref Keith Hackett will give the correct answers in Monday's edition and I'll try and post them if I can!

For some reason I can't upload the graphic that's in the Guardian.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

This is a really good idea..

Some tough scenarios here and I genuinely don't have a scooby but here goes:

1. A maverick striker is furious to be subbed- and, after he steps off the pitch, he petulantly kicks the player who replaced him. The replacement, who had one foot on the pitch, is now too injured to come on, and his side have used up all their subs. What do you do?

Issue a red card to the player leaving the field of play and ensure the now injured subbie that was coming on receives treatment. He won't be coming on and their team are now down to ten men.

2. In a sudden counter-attack, a midfielder plays the ball forward to a colleague who is inside his own half, and clean through on goal. But your assistant flags for offside and the striker stops, shouting in outrage. What now?

Nothing apart from gesture play on / play to the whistle..

3. There are patches of snow on the pitch and wintery flurries in the air. After 20 minutes, the away team in the all-white strip go 2-0 up - prompting the home manager to storm on and complain that his players can't see the opposition clearly. What now?

First of all - send the home manager to the stand for storming on to the field of play. After that, Use your own discretion regarding the conditions. Speak with both management teams before delivering a decision on whether to request a strip change.

1. Issue a straight Red for violent conduct - No respect for the game or his teammate.

2. Continue running from the knees down in the attackers direction whilst holding my hands up like a numpty - the right action if you see it's onsite, fans would respect you more. players should play to the whistle.

3. halt play and make the away team change strips, if the manager continues to act like a di@k sent him to he stands - they didn't complain until after the 2nd goal went in and after the TV coverage the manager will get fined/touchline ban once your ref report has driven the nail in the coffin.

nice one ludo

Before reading the responses I thought the same for the first two.

(sent off - down to 9 men(sending off and injured sub))

(play on - you play to the whistle not the flag)

The 3rd one I'm not sure about at all.

To be honest until reading the responses I hadn't even thought about the managers actions but then realised it meant he came onto the pitch. I can see *something* happening re: that, but no idea what. And insofar as strip changes are concerned.... no clue!

It's a feature I like that's in The Guardian. Basically it poses three questions on the Friday and asks you how you'd deal with the situation then on the Monday a referee answers each question.

This week the questions are:

3. There are patches of snow on the pitch and wintery flurries in the air. After 20 minutes, the away team in the all-white strip go 2-0 up - prompting the home manager to storm on and complain that his players can't see the opposition clearly. What now?

Former ref Keith Hackett will give the correct answers in Monday's edition and I'll try and post them if I can!

For some reason I can't upload the graphic that's in the Guardian.

1. Red card player going off, stop game for treatment to sub and they play on with 10 men.

2. Play on should have played the whistle and have a word with the linesman on the QT.

3. Manager storms on, eff him off to the stands.. .If it affecting play then get them to change shirts if they have, if they don't play on stick it in your report.

The correct answers are, according to Keith Hackett:

1) The key here is that the substitution has technically been completed: one player has left the pitch and another has entered it. So the manager cannot choose a different player from his bench to go on instead. You need to ensure the injured player is treated and removed, then show the departed player a red card for violent conduct. If the replacement had not put one foot on to the pitch a different sub could have been sent on in his place – but as it is, his side are now down to 10 men.

2) We saw this sort of scenario at Spurs last week: a dreadful error. How you deal with it, as the referee, depends on whether you realise your colleague has made a mistake in real time. If you do, signal and shout "play on" – the striker should not stop playing until he has heard your whistle. But if not, and you wrongly accept the incorrect flag, you can only apologise and re-start with a dropped ball.

3) First, ask if an alternative strip is available, or even a set of bibs, and if so, go ahead with the change. But if not, continue with the match anyway and report what was claimed after the game. And second, send the manager to the stands. He cannot be charging on to pitches to make his demands.

Haha you must have thick skin boba! earlpluggs required but decent money for b****r all really.. £850 quid so I hear to officiate a scottish spfl game.

I can only think of only a few other jobs where the abuse is as consitstant and directed at you personally.. but dinni fancy the other two either as I don't like wearing peaked caps and Black doesn'i suit me haha  

If i had to hazard a guess I'd say the full length of training / matches required and using Willie Colum as a benchmark your talking a full day course at Hampden shadowing John Rowbotham .. phaha 

Haha you must have thick skin boba! earlpluggs required but decent money for b****r all really.. £850 quid so I hear to officiate a scottish spfl game.

I can only think of only a few other jobs where the abuse is as consitstant and directed at you personally.. but dinni fancy the other two either as I don't like wearing peaked caps and Black doesn'i suit me haha

If i had to hazard a guess I'd say the full length of training / matches required and using Willie Colum as a benchmark your talking a full day course at Hampden shadowing John Rowbotham .. phaha

Truly a thankless task! Not for me I'm afraid..

Adblock Detected