Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Traction

Cobra

Just been reading the manager's comments from yesterday that appeared on the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42795308

"It gets busy towards the end of January. This is my first January and it's not been enjoyable because it can be absolutely crazy, the amount of players that are thrown your way.

"We are getting traction in terms of recruitment, which is good. We didn't have any in the summer.

"We had a build-up through the months of players that could become available, and we will be better-placed come the summer again."

-------------------

Maybe it's just me but I'm a bit puzzled by this. What does he mean by traction in this context?

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
13 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Just been reading the manager's comments from yesterday that appeared on the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42795308

"It gets busy towards the end of January. This is my first January and it's not been enjoyable because it can be absolutely crazy, the amount of players that are thrown your way.

"We are getting traction in terms of recruitment, which is good. We didn't have any in the summer.

"We had a build-up through the months of players that could become available, and we will be better-placed come the summer again."

-------------------

Maybe it's just me but I'm a bit puzzled by this. What does he mean by traction in this context?

Not sure, maybe he just means we were all over the place in summer, and now we have a clearer path in terms of playing style and personnel and thus more clarity?  A better grip on things if you like, hence the use of the word traction?

2 hours ago, Cobra said:

I think in this context the word traction is implying progression or advancement in relation to the amount of names that has been thrown his way earlier in the month.

I read it as a bit of positivity following a turbulent first January window and that we might see a new face in the forthcoming week. The off-loading of Nicky Low might be enough to finance a new signing. 

Edited by DFC1974
Typo

15 minutes ago, DFC1974 said:

I think in this context the word traction is implying progression or advancement in relation to the amount of names that has been thrown his way earlier in the month.

I read it as a bit of positivity following a turbulent first January window and that we might see a new face in the forthcoming week. The off-loading of Nicky Low might be enough to finance a new signing. 

I agree. I think it means there's movement in terms of recruitment. Hopefully a good sign for the coming week.

I read it largely the same as the guys above....if you compare it to 'traction control' gizmos on modern cars, they give you 'grip' in slippery conditions & 'steady forward movement' in the direction you want to go. Without them, you're liable to slide about all over the place & potentially heading for a 'car crash' :)  

I suppose he's hinting at having a process to identify what we need, to scout/enquire about players who might match the requirements, and some definite plan to follow up some of them. Let's hope this does turn up one or two players who do fit what he's trying to add, without risking it with videos & agents promises!

4 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

I read it largely the same as the guys above....if you compare it to 'traction control' gizmos on modern cars, they give you 'grip' in slippery conditions & 'steady forward movement' in the direction you want to go. Without them, you're liable to slide about all over the place & potentially heading for a 'car crash' :)  

I suppose he's hinting at having a process to identify what we need, to scout/enquire about players who might match the requirements, and some definite plan to follow up some of them. Let's hope this does turn up one or two players who do fit what he's trying to add, without risking it with videos & agents promises!

Pretty sure this is it.

He was very frustrated in the summer and said that he found it pretty difficult as there was no system in place.

12 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Pretty sure this is it.

He was very frustrated in the summer and said that he found it pretty difficult as there was no system in place.

I forgot to clarify that my thoughts on the transfer window equivalent of the 'car crash' would be having to sign players based on not having seen them play, on video extracts put together by agent or a 3rd party stats/scouting site, or on a recommendation from a quick phone call to an old colleague....and then finding that none of these options actually produced the style of player you thought you were getting.

That's a bit tongue-in-cheek, as I suspect NM's a very thorough guy, but it seems to fit a couple of our summer additions cases. 

30 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

I forgot to clarify that my thoughts on the transfer window equivalent of the 'car crash' would be having to sign players based on not having seen them play, on video extracts put together by agent or a 3rd party stats/scouting site, or on a recommendation from a quick phone call to an old colleague....and then finding that none of these options actually produced the style of player you thought you were getting.

That's a bit tongue-in-cheek, as I suspect NM's a very thorough guy, but it seems to fit a couple of our summer additions cases. 

Yeah, I think it got to the point where he needed to make a call based on instinct. With some guys, he got the chance to look at them a lot more than others and he was even very particular about the second choice goalkeeper he wanted (Parish being decent on the ball isn't a coincidence - we had loads of guys training with us at various times). With the league cup though, there was a real pressure to get signings made for the first team.

I could definitely see why Wolters and Moussa appealed to him. Wolters had a very big character in Holland as someone who took no shit and really grafted while Moussa was a bit similar with some real raw aggression in his goals (some very nice) and assist videos. It's definitely a learning curve for him but I could see why he's maybe thought these guys would adapt to our physical game in Scotland and fit in.

He probably didn't see a great deal of Deacon and AJ up close either but they certainly haven't been disasters. Hendry (coached on/off for a year at United), Spence (coached at Dunfermline), Parish (trialist), Kamara (trialist) and Jon (trialist) were probably the ones he had the biggest opportunity to judge.

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

Yeah, I think it got to the point where he needed to make a call based on instinct. With some guys, he got the chance to look at them a lot more than others and he was even very particular about the second choice goalkeeper he wanted (Parish being decent on the ball isn't a coincidence - we had loads of guys training with us at various times). With the league cup though, there was a real pressure to get signings made for the first team.

I could definitely see why Wolters and Moussa appealed to him. Wolters had a very big character in Holland as someone who took no sh*t and really grafted while Moussa was a bit similar with some real raw aggression in his goals (some very nice) and assist videos. It's definitely a learning curve for him but I could see why he's maybe thought these guys would adapt to our physical game in Scotland and fit in.

He probably didn't see a great deal of Deacon and AJ up close either but they certainly haven't been disasters. Hendry (coached on/off for a year at United), Spence (coached at Dunfermline), Parish (trialist), Kamara (trialist) and Jon (trialist) were probably the ones he had the biggest opportunity to judge.

The  way it's  panned out , it's  AJ and Jon that have merited the contracts and Moussa and Wolters the six month  stop gaps 

1 hour ago, Bubster said:

We need to talk about Spence - we all agree he's not good enough for our first XI right?

Im asking as I have the fear he'll be "Moussa'd" into the first team as soon as he's ready. 

I quite like him and think he’s got something about him. Would like to see him given a chance  to develop when he’s back from injury. 

I’d definitely not be parachuting him into our starting line-up but I’d probably give him another year to see what he can do.

I wouldn’t imagine his wage will be breaking the bank.

23 minutes ago, Boba Fett said:

I quite like him and think he’s got something about him. Would like to see him given a chance  to develop when he’s back from injury. 

I’d definitely not be parachuting him into our starting line-up but I’d probably give him another year to see what he can do.

I wouldn’t imagine his wage will be breaking the bank.

I would agree with that. I thought he did ok when he was brought into the team. 

Adblock Detected