Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Offside Law

blueboy

Confused about the first and second phase thing.

The only time Irvine is in an offside position in the build-up to his goal is when McGowan flicks it on, but it goes to Stewart, who isn't offside. Greg passes to Irvine, no offside there. Goal!

Suppose I can look it up.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Right. It seems Irvine wasn't offside when McGowan flicks it on, as that's the first phase of the move. Stewart's pass is the second phase.

If a defender had flicked it on to Irvine, he'd have been offside.

Complicated, but interesting I thought. The ref knows the rules, thank ***. Chick Young does not! But actually, I don't mind him, he can be an entertaining buffoon. Except in this case, he'd do well to shut up.

Confused about the first and second phase thing.

The only time Irvine is in an offside position in the build-up to his goal is when McGowan flicks it on, but it goes to Stewart, who isn't offside. Greg passes to Irvine, no offside there. Goal!

Suppose I can look it up.

If Irvine isn't interfering during the 1st phase of play,which doesn't sound like he was,then scores from an onside position during the 2nd phase it's a legitimate goal.If Irvine had been blocking the keeper or had made an attempt to intercept the ball during the 1st phase then that would be offside.The pictures I.ve seen are inconclusive.Sportscene might be able to clear up any controversies.

If Irvine isn't interfering during the 1st phase of play,which doesn't sound like he was,then scores from an onside position during the 2nd phase it's a legitimate goal.If Irvine had been blocking the keeper or had made an attempt to intercept the ball during the 1st phase then that would be offside.The pictures I.ve seen are inconclusive.Sportscene might be able to clear up any controversies.

Seen it on DFC TV, many times. Though I wish I could add slowmo to it. Can't see Irvine offside at any time then. Stewart's ball looks a sideways pass and Irvine is level with him.

But admit 'Sportscene' will clear it up and Chick can hang his head in shame. 

Must get out and get myself a life!

If a defender had flicked it on to Irvine, he'd have been offside.

In that scenario Irvine would've been ONSIDE.

Clarkson often stays behind the opposition defence,say after a corner,in an offside position,hoping for a passback,knowing he'll be onside because an opposition player has passed it.He's done it a couple of times this season.

Clarkson often stays behind the opposition defence,say after a corner,in an offside position,hoping for a passback,knowing he'll be onside because an opposition player has passed it.He's done it a couple of times this season.

is that his excuse

Nah, but Irvine was offside when the initial ball was played through, so that makes him offside whether it's touched by a defender or a Dee. Surely? Can see why people would get it wrong, apart from a ref. Anyway, that's not what happened.

Nah, but Irvine was offside when the initial ball was played through, so that makes him offside whether it's touched by a defender or a Dee. Surely? Can see why people would get it wrong, apart from a ref. Anyway, that's not what happened.

If a Dee had attempted to pass the ball to Irvine then he'd be OFFSIDE.

If an opposition player touched the ball on it's way to Irvine then he'd be ONSIDE.

Edit to say-there may be some other clauses but generally the above is the correct interpretation..................I think. :)

If a Dee had attempted to pass the ball to Irvine then he'd be OFFSIDE.

If an opposition player touched the ball on it's way to Irvine then he'd be ONSIDE.

Edit to say-there may be some other clauses but generally the above is the correct interpretation..................I think. :)

It's at the instant the ball is played. The ball can be played forward by an attacker and pin ball off four defenders then fall to a second attacker but if the second attacker was forward of less than two defenders at the instant the first attacker played the ball forward he's offside.

I've watched the highlights and Irvine doesn't look off to me from either pass.

Maybe I've used the wrong word in "touched".I'm sure if it's "played" towards his own goal by a defender into the path of an apparently offside attacker it's deemed to be onside,regardless of the number of defensive players between the attacker & the keeper.

David Clarkson is the example I've used above.He stayed in what appeared to be an offside position at Dens late last year,at the Shankly end.When our midfield pressed the opposition defender he passed it back,straight to Clarkson who wasn't deemed as being offside because the defender passed the ball.No other players were between him & the keeper.

May be that it's something to do with the fact Clarkson was travelling away from goal & Irvine towards it?.

Maybe I've used the wrong word in "touched".I'm sure if it's "played" towards his own goal by a defender into the path of an apparently offside attacker it's deemed to be onside,regardless of the number of defensive players between the attacker & the keeper.

David Clarkson is the example I've used above.He stayed in what appeared to be an offside position at Dens late last year,at the Shankly end.When our midfield pressed the opposition defender he passed it back,straight to Clarkson who wasn't deemed as being offside because the defender passed the ball.No other players were between him & the keeper.

May be that it's something to do with the fact Clarkson was travelling away from goal & Irvine towards it?.

Yeah, if it's a pass back it's onside.

Not sure Clarkson stays there specifically with that in mind though.

Adblock Detected