Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Serious Question. Would Anyone Consider Gary Harkin's Return to Our Club, Were He to Become Available?

Gedee

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
9 hours ago, Gedee said:

Firstly, apologies to the poster who suggested (maybe as a throwaway comment) that we should  consider trying to get GGH back.

It was my intention to respond to the post, but somehow I lost the thread, (cannae find it) However GGH deserves a separate topic.

I'm no' gonna go into awe his faults & attributes here. They have been well documentated. But he is a player that creates opinions.

And woud I have him back if he was asked & agreed to do so? YES I WOULD. Now 32 yrs old, but I really believe he's plenty to offer.

Dundee FC in recent games have offered us "various performances" In their worst games they've run about like headless chickens.

Would GGH make all things sweet again? I'm not sure. But when I watched the recorded DFC games on DEETV he's been in my mind.

Was about to add, would it not be grand to see with the return of Craig Wighton, GGH alongside him? I think we can take this further.

Gary Harkins is never ever gonna be running up & down the pitch. But if he's there laying off flicks & sweet passes, then maybe our

"Present Duds" (sorry DFC lads) can at last start producing some goals. Maybe the case we are no' that far away from a good team.

Fifty plus years ago eh mind DFC were derided/laughed at, for signing Gordon Smith at 37 year old (We awe soon stopped laughing)

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15810957.Gary_Harkins_happy_taking_step_back_to_go_forward_with_Morton/

I would have Gary Harkins back in a second. We need someone to take control of the midfield and make a telling pass and in my opinion Gary Harkins is the person to do that.

PH is long gone so there is nothing to stop his return unless he is on a 2 year contract at Morton.

Gary Harkins played with a toe injury in the Doon Derby and remained on the pitch until the end of the game.

10 minutes ago, Densparker said:

Even a fly doesn't go back to the same old sh!t!

Assuming your comment is a wee bit "tongue in cheek" Dens' ... eh think that's quite humorous 

Maist jokes have an element o' fact in them tho'...And I wonder if the first real job, the scientific

student, who was the first to prove the above theory achieved, when leaving Uni.  (as a first step

towards a successful & weel paid career) was to identify & follow a specific Bluebottle. Awe day,

Maybe awe night. To see if it made a return visit to that "fresh steaming poo" Some joab eh.:chaplin:

10 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

I would have Gary Harkins back in a second. We need someone to take control of the midfield and make a telling pass and in my opinion Gary Harkins is the person to do that.

PH is long gone so there is nothing to stop his return unless he is on a 2 year contract at Morton.

Gary Harkins played with a toe injury in the Doon Derby and remained on the pitch until the end of the game.

What’s to say he would even come back though? 

He is getting regular game time for a local team who are doing quite well. At this stage he might be pretty content with that. 

1 minute ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

What’s to say he would even come back though? 

He is getting regular game time for a local team who are doing quite well. At this stage he might be pretty content with that. 

Spot on.

Morton right in the mix for a play off spot and have had some very impressive wins this season.

Through to the Scottish cup quarters and playing with a manager who has them punching well above their weight the last two to three seasons where they've caught the eye.

We're in the midst of a 2 and a half seasons and counting decline and have a fair chance of going down this season.

My issue with Harkins is no matter how many chances he's had throughout his career, he's invariably ended up breaching discipline and been a contentious figure. Dundee has been his best club in terms of him being consistently focused but even here, he's done quite a few things that really didn't help our cause.

I would definitely have been happy if he stayed on long-term and was happy to play the role of a more sporadic squad player and coach but let's be honest, that wasn't/isn't going to happen. I wish him well and am happy to see him and Duffy do a good job.

He's a special player but there are other creative players who exist in the world. There's a player who may be available in the summer who is every bit as good as Harkins was and has youth on his side - Greg Stewart. Get him back and get him a pre-season to undo the damage of the Birmingham weight sessions and he'll be a star again at this level. Beyond that, I wonder if Ryan Gauld might be persuaded for a shot at first-team football in a familiar league again. His loan team, Desportivo Aves, are fighting relegation and he's struggling to get into the side - I'm sure there will be reasonable suitors but I don't think the chance of him coming back here is zero.

Other players domestically are Craig Sibbald, Liam Polworth (has had a great season with a barrowload of assists) and maybe even young Davis Keillor-Dunn (should Ross County get relegated). There will also be barrow loads of guys from other leagues who we haven't even thought of. I think with Kamara, Jon and Caulker all being very high pedigree, we aren't limited to our usual pool anymore.

Adblock Detected