Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Serious Question. Would Anyone Consider Gary Harkin's Return to Our Club, Were He to Become Available?

Gedee

8 minutes ago, harry94 said:

My issue with Harkins is no matter how many chances he's had throughout his career, he's invariably ended up breaching discipline and been a contentious figure. Dundee has been his best club in terms of him being consistently focused but even here, he's done quite a few things that really didn't help our cause.

I would definitely have been happy if he stayed on long-term and was happy to play the role of a more sporadic squad player and coach but let's be honest, that wasn't/isn't going to happen. I wish him well and am happy to see him and Duffy do a good job.

He's a special player but there are other creative players who exist in the world. There's a player who may be available in the summer who is every bit as good as Harkins was and has youth on his side - Greg Stewart. Get him back and get him a pre-season to undo the damage of the Birmingham weight sessions and he'll be a star again at this level. Beyond that, I wonder if Ryan Gauld might be persuaded for a shot at first-team football in a familiar league again. His loan team, Desportivo Aves, are fighting relegation and he's struggling to get into the side - I'm sure there will be reasonable suitors but I don't think the chance of him coming back here is zero.

Other players domestically are Craig Sibbald, Liam Polworth (has had a great season with a barrowload of assists) and maybe even young Davis Keillor-Dunn (should Ross County get relegated). There will also be barrow loads of guys from other leagues who we haven't even thought of. I think with Kamara, Jon and Caulker all being very high pedigree, we aren't limited to our usual pool anymore.

So I suggested this earlier but what’s your thoughts on the boy McMullan over the road. The 3/4 times I have seen him I have been impressed with him apart from the diving. Seems to be a boy who can create things and score a goal. 

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Just now, Dundeefc1783 said:

So I suggested this earlier but what’s your thoughts on the boy McMullan over the road. The 3/4 times I have seen him I have been impressed with him apart from the diving. Seems to be a boy who can create things and score a goal. 

Yeah, I quite like him too. I think he'll be playing at a level above at some point, he definitely adds a threat of some sort. Just seems a wee shite who maybe needs a year or so to be playing every week and sort his mind out.

I'd take him if he was available.

21 minutes ago, harry94 said:

My issue with Harkins is no matter how many chances he's had throughout his career, he's invariably ended up breaching discipline and been a contentious figure. Dundee has been his best club in terms of him being consistently focused but even here, he's done quite a few things that really didn't help our cause.

I would definitely have been happy if he stayed on long-term and was happy to play the role of a more sporadic squad player and coach but let's be honest, that wasn't/isn't going to happen. I wish him well and am happy to see him and Duffy do a good job.

He's a special player but there are other creative players who exist in the world. There's a player who may be available in the summer who is every bit as good as Harkins was and has youth on his side - Greg Stewart. Get him back and get him a pre-season to undo the damage of the Birmingham weight sessions and he'll be a star again at this level. Beyond that, I wonder if Ryan Gauld might be persuaded for a shot at first-team football in a familiar league again. His loan team, Desportivo Aves, are fighting relegation and he's struggling to get into the side - I'm sure there will be reasonable suitors but I don't think the chance of him coming back here is zero.

Other players domestically are Craig Sibbald, Liam Polworth (has had a great season with a barrowload of assists) and maybe even young Davis Keillor-Dunn (should Ross County get relegated). There will also be barrow loads of guys from other leagues who we haven't even thought of. I think with Kamara, Jon and Caulker all being very high pedigree, we aren't limited to our usual pool anymore.

Harry, I think everyone accepts any post from yourself is aye something worth reading.

Not only do you have a wealth of knowledge in yir heid on fitba (& ither stuff) it's written

in a way that the less knowledgeable can understand (me for one) ... But on top of that,

you're aye able to unearth a load o' named players (potential DFC signings) that in most

cases eh've never heard of (Better stop noo. Dinnae want tae look like a "sooky-up-kind") ;)

Okay, nae mair praising posts fae me today.  But curiousity, how dae ye ken sae much?:chaplin:

3 hours ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

What’s to say he would even come back though? 

He is getting regular game time for a local team who are doing quite well. At this stage he might be pretty content with that. 

He certainly enjoyed beating the Dabs.

I believe that Gary Harkins did not want to leave Dundee but PH wanted rid of him which is a bit ironic as PH was sacked last season due to a string of poor results.

If PH had made his peace with Gary Harkins before the beginning of the 2016-17 season PH might still be the Dundee FC manager.

In my opinion last season Gary Harkins was a big loss to the Dundee team and if he had remained we would have finished higher up the league with possibly a top six finish.

Just now, islaydarkblue said:

I believe that Gary Harkins did not want to leave Dundee but PH wanted rid of him which is a bit ironic as PH was sacked last season due to a string of poor results.

If PH had made his peace with Gary Harkins before the beginning of the 2016-17 season PH might still be the Dundee FC manager.

In my opinion last season Gary Harkins was a big loss to the Dundee team and if he had remained we would have finished higher up the league with possibly a top six finish.

I just imagine he is probably happier playing regularly for his local club and not having to spend hours a day travelling especially having a young family 

3 hours ago, harry94 said:

We need someone in the team with an experienced football brain not someone running about like a “headless chicken”.

You quote a lot of players who are playing well in their current team. However these players might be no use in a Dundee team if NM plays them out of their best position.

Throughout the decades we have signed players from other clubs who have been a failure in a Dundee FC team.

One player who springs to mind was Carl Bertelsen who was a star player in the Morton team of the mid 1960’s which contained a number of Scandanavian players.

Unfortunately Carl Bertelsen was a pale shadow of the player he was at Moron when he played for Dundee.

What is it since he first played for us - over 8 years?  The fella has done his bit for us a good few times now.  Let him enjoy the rest of his career with his hometown team.  Hope to see him back at Dens for a game though in some capacity,  in the near future - assured of a heroes welcome (except from CC)

3 minutes ago, Attilio said:

What is it since he first played for us - over 8 years?  The fella has done his bit for us a good few times now.  Let him enjoy the rest of his career with his hometown team.  Hope to see him back at Dens for a game though in some capacity,  in the near future - assured of a heroes welcome (except from CC)

Hello Attilio ...Your comment above makes a lot of sense & is probably right.

As I am NOT advocating GGH should come back...(only asking the question)

Do you think tho' were he asked the question, he'd then, totally dismiss idea?

A part of me thinks, although he's enjoying playing for what is his local club,

There may still be a wee temptation to say ..."Awe come on then let's do it";)

24 minutes ago, Attilio said:

He'll probably be back for the Play-off final at the end of the season Attilio!

11 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

I just imagine he is probably happier playing regularly for his local club and not having to spend hours a day travelling especially having a young family 

Money talks.

A year ago I was speaking to Morton director who was on Islay to carry out the valuation of a house for estate duty purposes. The key holder of the house never turned up.

This director was also a director at McTear’s.

He told me that the best player they had was Jai Quitongo who had been out for a long time due to a long term injury.

I took the opportunity to complain to him about his team “lying down” to Hamilton Accies on the last day of the 2013-24 Championship season.

He told me that this freak result happened because Kenny Shiels had been given a new contract during the week prior to the game and the Morton players were not happy.

I told him that no decent football fans would accept his views. I also

told him that my brother who is solicitor and was not interested in football phoned me about the 10-2 result between Hamilton Accies and Morton which he thought was a “fix”. Needless to say this Morton director failed to answer.

2 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

jeez, I agree with you

Adblock Detected