The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Scotland

Rate this topic

Not the start McLeish was looking for. Costa Rica 1-0 up at Hampden.

Fairly slow first half, lot of strangers in the team....surprised to hear only Robertson survived from the Netherlands game! Better 2nd half, more positive, but I was hoping for a bit more 'adventure' to let the new guys show a bit of their club form. 

Hardly recognised Kev MacDonald.....it was 'our' Kev, wasn't it?

Possibly another couple of new faces will get a debut in Hungary, but it would be good to see McGinn & McGregor on from the start, and someone else up front with McBurnie. By the time the four friendlies are over, Eck ought to have his squad a bit settled. Whether they can develop into a decent team, only time will tell.

2 hours ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Booing the team off the park :lol: 

I was getting a wee tear in my eye, getting all nostalgic for Dens. :lol:

Thought we were pretty insipid last night, it was like we were playing a friendly but Costa Rica were playing a qualifier. Still, had a couple mates round to watch it and managed to talk p**h and drink heavily, I'm calling it a 'win'. :)

• Like 1

Weel eh'm sorry folks ... Eh watched the whole game & thought it was torture :sadno:

Strange days its when I remember a Scottish International got me awe excited:excited:

Wisnae jist the loss o' the gemme ... It wis the fact, eh just couldnae care less:chaplin:

Scotland could win 3-0 or lose 1-0, doesn't matter to me. In a friendly anyway. 

It's a mess. No non Scots in the team please. 

1 hour ago, blueboy said:

Scotland could win 3-0 or lose 1-0, doesn't matter to me. In a friendly anyway. 

It's a mess. No non Scots in the team please. 

That's getting harder though, depending on how you want to classify 'Scots'. More people move with work etc, have kids, blah blah blah, I wouldn't want to rule someone out because they spent half their life living in another country but want to play for us because they identify with being Scottish because of parents or whatever. The 'granny' rule is kicking the a**e out of it though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chomp my root said:

That's getting harder though, depending on how you want to classify 'Scots'. More people move with work etc, have kids, blah blah blah, I wouldn't want to rule someone out because they spent half their life living in another country but want to play for us because they identify with being Scottish because of parents or whatever. The 'granny' rule is kicking the a**e out of it though. 

We're a numerically wee country that has 'traditionally' exported many of its good young players to England, where they've played most/all of their career, covering the years when most people get married & have their kids. To exclude those kids of Scottish parents (or Scots father / English mother), just because of the location their mother gave birth, would be a classic 'cutting off our nose to spite our face' folly. Kids of footballers, though, are only a wee bit of the story.

Dennis Law sent his wife home to Aberdeen to give birth to his kids, as he was determined they'd never be anything other than Scots.....but I'd think he was in a fairly tiny minority. 

Guys like McTominay & McBurnie (even though 'Mc' is often regarded as the Irish equivalent of 'Mac' :o) are - I believe - direct descendants of Scots, who probably want their kids to play for their 'home' country....just as James McCarthy chose to play for Ireland due to strong family influence. Having lived abroad quite a few years, I'm very much aware how strong the expat Scots 'national identity' can be, and I'd definitely have done the 'Dennis Law thing', had my daughter not been born 2 weeks before my second spell in Norway. She might, though have quite liked to grow up with the 'dual nationality' possibility.

I'd agree that the 'granny rule' took this one step too far, though. 

• Like 1

On 24/03/2018 at 15:57, WoodStein said:

We're a numerically wee country that has 'traditionally' exported many of its good young players to England, where they've played most/all of their career, covering the years when most people get married & have their kids. To exclude those kids of Scottish parents (or Scots father / English mother), just because of the location their mother gave birth, would be a classic 'cutting off our nose to spite our face' folly. Kids of footballers, though, are only a wee bit of the story.

Dennis Law sent his wife home to Aberdeen to give birth to his kids, as he was determined they'd never be anything other than Scots.....but I'd think he was in a fairly tiny minority. 

Guys like McTominay & McBurnie (even though 'Mc' is often regarded as the Irish equivalent of 'Mac' :o) are - I believe - direct descendants of Scots, who probably want their kids to play for their 'home' country....just as James McCarthy chose to play for Ireland due to strong family influence. Having lived abroad quite a few years, I'm very much aware how strong the expat Scots 'national identity' can be, and I'd definitely have done the 'Dennis Law thing', had my daughter not been born 2 weeks before my second spell in Norway. She might, though have quite liked to grow up with the 'dual nationality' possibility.

I'd agree that the 'granny rule' took this one step too far, though. 

I'm dual nat, born in Australia but left when I was 3 and went to live in New Zealand for 7 years before being dragged round the world to Scotland. Parents were ten pound Poms, I realised when I was about 13 in the old schoolboy enclosure at Murrayfield watching Scotland V Australia where my loyalty lay. Handy to have the second (lapsed) passport though. 

• Like 1

On 24/03/2018 at 11:21, chomp my root said:

The 'granny' rule is kicking the a**e out of it though. 

Maybe a team made up of Scottish Grannies would be a better watch than what I saw the other night

14 hours ago, chomp my root said:

I'm dual nat, born in Australia but left when I was 3 and went to live in New Zealand for 7 years before being dragged round the world to Scotland. Parents were ten pound Poms, I realised when I was about 13 in the old schoolboy enclosure at Murrayfield watching Scotland V Australia where my loyalty lay. Handy to have the second (lapsed) passport though. 

Cheating Aussie chomp ?

My son was born in Hong Kong , we live in the Philippines and he qualifies to play for Scotland.  Can't help but feel I've let him down in the football stakes! :D

Seriously though, I'd want him to play for Scotland as 1st choice if the opportunity arose.

• Funny 1

Better performance last night. I don't really see what McGregor brings to the table tbh, looks dynamite domestically but is found wanting quite badly in both European and International games. Thought Hendry was impressive, held on to the ball too long a few times but wasn't caught in possession, just missed a better chance to offload to a more dangerous position. 

Off topic, @HK Blues, is it work that takes you to these far flung shores or just a want to see and live in different places? 

Good performance last night and much closer to a starting 11 that may actually play qualifiers.

Delighted to see some promising centre backs coming through for a change. Mulgrew is in there for the experience but I'd like to see Hendry, McKenna and Tierney play as a 3  instead for the next friendlies to see how they cope. Long term I think that will be our best 3.

1 hour ago, Edin_Dee said:

Good performance last night and much closer to a starting 11 that may actually play qualifiers.

Delighted to see some promising centre backs coming through for a change. Mulgrew is in there for the experience but I'd like to see Hendry, McKenna and Tierney play as a 3  instead for the next friendlies to see how they cope. Long term I think that will be our best 3.

That back three definitely gives me a bit more hope for the future. Also allows us to get our two best players in the team rather than sticking one out at right back. I'd like to see Fraser further forward than last night, and have Paterson in his place. Think we've got a pretty decent squad that should be together for the next two/three qualifying campaigns at least.

5 hours ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Off topic, @HK Blues, is it work that takes you to these far flung shores or just a want to see and live in different places? 

Not really work WW, although I do have to work obviously.  I lived in Manchester for 10 years before moving to the Far East after leaving Dundee.  I always enjoyed travelling to the Far East so my 1st wife and I decided to cut down on the jet lag by moving to Hong Kong!  In the UK I was an HR Manager but since moving out here I've been doing what many people with no other options do - teaching English.  It just about pays the bills, although in the Philippines salaries are extremely low - than again a beer costs just under 50p so it's not all bad.

Miss the Dees though.

• Love 1