The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
bapfavor

Worst Seasons

Rate this topic

In another thread a poster said this was one of the worst seasons they've witnessed in nearly 60 years of supporting Dundee. They've got a couple of decades on me, but it got me thinking about the seasons from hell I've seen:

05/06 - simply the worst in our club's history. 7th in the 2nd tier, taking 7 from Airdrie, knocked out the LC from Stranraer and even a Hampden trip ended in utter humiliation. And that's before we discuss some of the shyte we had playing for us or that clown in the dug-out

04/05 - up there for the last day at Livi alone. A couple of derby wins provided some relief but we couldn't take a point from the one that really mattered

03/04 - Administration pt 1. Some great post-admin performances and results put a footballing shine on a horrific season when it really seemed like we'd lose our club

93/94 - brutal from start to finish despite having some quality players. Clear we were relegated from early on, we sold Billy Dodds, club was falling apart behind the scenes and, to put the tin lid on it, those fuckers won the Scottish

89/90 - my first relegation. Almost all my first Dundee heroes - Tosh, Bomber, Tommy et al - were gone and Gordon McLeod, Alan Campbell and Arthur f**cking Albiston were there instead

95/96 - 5th in the First Division as the club teetered on the edge of oblivion. League Cup run means this isn't ranked as bad as some others but even that final was abysmal. Oh, and United got promoted

96/97 - taking 7 from St Johnstone, going about 7 games without scoring in the 2nd tier. Did we not get beat from East Fife as well?

08/09 - I remember going in to the last game thinking 'if we win and secure 4th we won't need to play in the first round of next year's Challenge Cup'. Says it all really

12/13 - whatever the circumstances behind our 'promotion', this was horrible. Few hidings from united, papped out the cup from them and the club imploding for most of the year while a legend was jettisoned. Bomber's appointment was as embarrassing as anything I can remember but weirdly he actually restored some pride as we went down fighting

16/17 - Lost: Stewart, Hemmings, Harkins. Signed: Gomis, Yordi, Duffy, Williams, Vincent, O'Hara, Haber, Klok, Ojaama, El Bak, Hateley. Taking 7 at home to Aberdeen. If it wasn't for sacking Hartley and getting a bounce from McCann coming in this would have been top 3.

How bad is this season in comparison? Depends what happens in the next 8 games. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Admin part 1 left me heartbroken, so did the last day relegation at Livingston, our promotion season was so very close to being the worst of them all

This season is tough going but isn't near one of the worst, until February the only teams to put more than three past us were Celtic and Rangers, we have beaten Rangers this season and lost 1-0 and 2-0 to Celtic,  we've not been taking six and seven like in recent years.

We all know that we aren't scoring enough goals, we have lost 11 games by the odd goal this season, if we even converted half of them into draws we would be in a much safer place.

The players that left 16/17 are missed for sure and I would have them all back in some capacity but they haven't exactly furthered their careers

Harkins was a god at Dens but when you look at the clubs he has played for Dundee, Partick, Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Morton, they are all bottom six or top half of the championship apart from Kilmarnock who were bottom six until Steve Clarke appeared

Hemmings is out on loan at Man somebody...........not Man City or Man United..........Mansfield in the bottom league in England and has managed eight goals this season including penalties, one more than AJLS

Stewart is stuck on the bench at his loan club Aberdeen because GMS is outperforming him, O Hara and El Bak have scored more goals than Stewart this season

I said at the end of last season that it was the worst top flight season I had witnessed in all my time going that didn't end in relegation.

I would say this season (so far) has been the exact same at best or could easily be argued that it's been marginally worse.

Not scoring goals. Letting in goals for fun. Losing games for fun. Home form horrendous. Getting pumped and outplayed from bottom 6 teams at home all season. The Bain saga. Moussa starting over Haber when they were both available. Moussa being on zero non penalty league goals heading into April. The lowest Dundee crowd at Dens against Celtic in our 125 year history. Out the cups early again. Losing Hendry at midnight deadline day. Losing Scott Allan on deadline day. Will stop now as I'm off for lunch soon.

Plus points obviously knocking United out the cup. Completely outplaying them in both cup games. Beating Rangers at Dens. Beating Hearts and St Johnstone at Dens and St Johnstone and Thistle away. Winning in Inverness for once. Somehow managing to not occupy the bottom 2 spots going into April.

This season is not great for Dees but I think there's a good reason for that. It's a tough league. All the big clubs have sorted themselves out and there are no truly terrible teams destined for the Championship. Every single week is challenging and even when we're 100% focused and determined we can come away with nothing because of a single error.

Dundee, Partick, County, St Johnstone and Hamilton have all experienced horrific runs where they couldn't get a goal or couldn't get a win.

Would we be happier in the Championship picking up points almost every week and pushing for the title? because if we stay up, next season will likely be the same again... a battle for top six and a battle to avoid the drop. Personally I'd rather watch us struggling against Hearts than getting the better of Dumbarton.

• Star Post 1

So whit yer sayin is "nae that bad a season efter aw" could even be worse eh! ;)

• Love 1

38 minutes ago, Cobra said:

This season is not great for Dees but I think there's a good reason for that. It's a tough league. All the big clubs have sorted themselves out and there are no truly terrible teams destined for the Championship. Every single week is challenging and even when we're 100% focused and determined we can come away with nothing because of a single error.

Dundee, Partick, County, St Johnstone and Hamilton have all experienced horrific runs where they couldn't get a goal or couldn't get a win.

Would we be happier in the Championship picking up points almost every week and pushing for the title? because if we stay up, next season will likely be the same again... a battle for top six and a battle to avoid the drop. Personally I'd rather watch us struggling against Hearts than getting the better of Dumbarton.

Don't disagree with the majority of that.

All I would say without sounding entitled or greedy is, we're overdue a push for the top 6 and massively long overdue a cup semi at the least.

Motherwell have been to Hampden 3 times this season alone and probably approaching 10 times since we've last been there. Every club and their dog has also since we last were. Obviously plenty of those seasons we were in the league below but we're now ending our 4th top flight season and hopefully starting our 5th in a row next season and the best we've mustered up in the cups is a tanking at Ibrox in the quarters.

Don't even care if we make the top 6 either but just a bit of breathing space from the season long relegation battle would be a welcome improvement on this season and last. If we stay up of course.

2 hours ago, Harold Finch said:

Admin part 1 left me heartbroken, so did the last day relegation at Livingston, our promotion season was so very close to being the worst of them all

This season is tough going but isn't near one of the worst, until February the only teams to put more than three past us were Celtic and Rangers, we have beaten Rangers this season and lost 1-0 and 2-0 to Celtic,  we've not been taking six and seven like in recent years.

We all know that we aren't scoring enough goals, we have lost 11 games by the odd goal this season, if we even converted half of them into draws we would be in a much safer place.

The players that left 16/17 are missed for sure and I would have them all back in some capacity but they haven't exactly furthered their careers

Harkins was a god at Dens but when you look at the clubs he has played for Dundee, Partick, Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Morton, they are all bottom six or top half of the championship apart from Kilmarnock who were bottom six until Steve Clarke appeared

Hemmings is out on loan at Man somebody...........not Man City or Man United..........Mansfield in the bottom league in England and has managed eight goals this season including penalties, one more than AJLS

Stewart is stuck on the bench at his loan club Aberdeen because GMS is outperforming him, O Hara and El Bak have scored more goals than Stewart this season

Talking of Greg Stewart. It's 2 years this weekend since we beat Ross Co 5 - 2 and Stewart scored 2, one being that amazing goal when he kept cutting inside and bamboozled the defence. He was on the top of his game at that time and looked destined for great things. Fast forward 2 years and he's now a bit part player and has scored ONE goal in that time and that was against Hamilton.

• Like 1

Doesn't matter what happens in the next 8 games, this hasn't been the worst season the past ten years never mind ever. A classic case of over exaggeration to the nth.

• Star Post 2

Worst ever season for me has to be 1975 - 1976 when we were relegated on goal difference.  We finished on 32 pts (same as U'td and Don's) our defence was shyte then as well, I must confess, it still pisses me off as I believe that was the start of our financial state which almost led to our complete demise.  I often wonder how Aberdeen would have coped at that time with relegation (that was the first season of premier league of ten).  Ironically we beat Aberdeen at Dens in our first Premier League game 3 - 2 canna mind now but I think Booby Ford scored the first ever premier league goal !

Finnish on a high tho (canna stand a this glass half empty shyte;)) One of our best ever results was against Hearts away 7 - 1 (64-65 season I think) two hatricks, Penman and Cameron + we still had Charlie Cooke, oh dear if only .... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Campbell said:

Worst ever season for me has to be 1975 - 1976 when we were relegated on goal difference.  We finished on 32 pts (same as U'td and Don's) our defence was shyte then as well, I must confess, it still pisses me off as I believe that was the start of our financial state which almost led to our complete demise.  I often wonder how Aberdeen would have coped at that time with relegation (that was the first season of premier league of ten).  Ironically we beat Aberdeen at Dens in our first Premier League game 3 - 2 canna mind now but I think Booby Ford scored the first ever premier league goal !

Finnish on a high tho (canna stand a this glass half empty shyte;)) One of our best ever results was against Hearts away 7 - 1 (64-65 season I think) two hatricks, Penman and Cameron + we still had Charlie Cooke, oh dear if only .... :rolleyes:

Absolutely spot on with ^^^^^^^^ everything (plus we scored more than the DABS and Dons).

We've never fully recovered :( 

3 minutes ago, Dondeh said:

We've never fully recovered :( 

So if we stayed up in 1975 we'd have lived happily ever after? I suspect we were in for a turbulent few decades anyway.

The club is certainly not currently struggling to recover from a relegation 43 years ago. Football is full of ups and downs. There's little sense in saying "if only this did or didn't happen".

We've survived two admins and are now the only top flight team in the city. There's no need for us to feel sorry for ourselves over long-forgotten setbacks.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cobra said:

So if we stayed up in 1975 we'd have lived happily ever after? I suspect we were in for a turbulent few decades anyway.

The club is certainly not currently struggling to recover from a relegation 43 years ago. Football is full of ups and downs. There's little sense in saying "if only this did or didn't happen".

We've survived two admins and are now the only top flight team in the city. There's no need for us to feel sorry for ourselves over long-forgotten setbacks.

You've got your opinion. I've got mine.

The more in depth post I quoted from Campbell, said it all and I agreed - that's all.

Edited by Dondeh

19 minutes ago, Cobra said:

The tittle of this thread is "Worst Seasons" and in my lifetime 75-76 was the worst IMO, however, I cant recall suggesting if we had survived that season everything would have been fine.  Could it be that you didn't witness that season (lucky you) and perhaps that's why you suggest its a "long forgotten setback" !

Nobody's feeling sorry for themselves, on the contrary, absolutely delighted to still be in the mix. Lighten up.

• Like 2

I cannot comment regarding our worst season as I was an armchair supporter for 28 years until 2009.

My first game back was against Ayr United in the Championship on 12th December 2009 and after 5 minutes were losing 1-0. I thought here we go again the same old Dundee FC but with Gary Harkins and Leigh Griffiths in the team things were a lot different. We played entertaining football and the fact that we won 3-1 put the icing on the cake. 

Fast forward to my last two games at Dens against Motherwell on 24th February and St Johnstone on 10th March which as a Dundee supporter were terrible to watch as the team could not score a goal even if their life depended on it.

Football is supposed to be an entertainment industry but entertaining football from the Dundee players has been in short supply this season and that is reflected in the falling attendance figures since the beginning of this season. Surely John Nelms sitting in the directors box can see the increasing gaps in the stands at Dens.

16 hours ago, Cobra said:

The significance of that first relegation was that, so soon after our LC win, it ripped the heart out of the club, both financially and in the squad, and we not only dropped a division, but we were forced to drop a level in every aspect of the club's business. We also lost some great young players, like Strachan, over the couple of years following it.

At the time, there was 'nothing to choose' between us, Aberdeen & the Arabs on & off the pitch....but the ironic bit which I think was the source of the irritation most Dees felt for years was that those two recovered to become the 'new firm' & have the best decade in their existence, while we struggled to recover. It was widely accepted at the time that the huge drop in income for the relegated clubs would make it hard to bounce back, and so it proved, as our average gate fell instantly by 50% (see table below).

The club also made a lot of poor decisions in the subsequent years, so it's true that a lot of it was self-inflicted. We followed that with almost a decade back in the premier league in the 80's, without ever getting back to the level those of us in our 60's recall. Possibly most significantly, though, we also lost a massive percentage of the new young supporters to the Arabs in that 15 years. 

I think you've read too much into the original post, though, Cobra....I don't think we're feeling sorry for ourselves, I'm sure all of us are simply determined that our club takes advantage of the position we're in now, to rebuild & maintain a long-term presence in the top league....as well as take advantage of our position in the city. We are, of course, praying the Arabs have entered their prolonged period in the wilderness....that part of the cycle is long overdue!

....but trust me, this 'setback' is far from forgotten! I still curse it every day :P 

image.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1