Jump to content
The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
harry94

Team V Celtic

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

So after ending the run of defeats with a point on Saturday and a decent performance, our pre-split season ends with a dreaded Old Firm away double. Last time we had this combination, we picked up a surprising point at Celtic Park with a rested team and then went to a then lower division Rangers and got humped with our stronger side so who knows how these games will pan out!

How would you line up on Wednesday? I'm very much of the view that we've got to keep consistency by keeping the system intact as much as possible as I think it'll pay off towards the last few games.

I think we should go:

Parish

Caulker Kusunga Meekings

Kerr O'Hara Kamara Holt

McGowan

AJ Moussa

Not dropping Deacon because he was bad (far from it) but think Cammy will suit this game better in bringing a bit more defensively which is his big strength. Holt as well for his legs and a couple of good performances. Murray on the bench just to rest his legs and then come on as an impact sub in the last half an hour when we need that bit of energy to drive up the park and take the pressure off.

I think a lot of hard work and sensible closing down could put up a good fight.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, harry94 said:

So after ending the run of defeats with a point on Saturday and a decent performance, our pre-split season ends with a dreaded Old Firm away double. Last time we had this combination, we picked up a surprising point at Celtic Park with a rested team and then went to a then lower division Rangers and got humped with our stronger side so who knows how these games will pan out!

How would you line up on Wednesday? I'm very much of the view that we've got to keep consistency by keeping the system intact as much as possible as I think it'll pay off towards the last few games.

I think we should go:

Parish

Caulker Kusunga Meekings

Kerr O'Hara Kamara Holt

McGowan

AJ Moussa

Not dropping Deacon because he was bad (far from it) but think Cammy will suit this game better in bringing a bit more defensively which is his big strength. Holt as well for his legs and a couple of good performances. Murray on the bench just to rest his legs and then come on as an impact sub in the last half an hour when we need that bit of energy to drive up the park and take the pressure off.

I think a lot of hard work and sensible closing down could put up a good fight.

Think Holt is better as a wing back than Jon so think that's a good shout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Boxing Day the whole team struggled but I remember AJ had absolutely zero impact that afternoon ... I would prefer to start with Murray.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My main concern is closing them down on the wings. We cannot play too narrow. With whoever is chosen they need to play with energy 100% and give Celtic as little space as possible. We must take any chances we get as they will probably be few and far between. I'd go with 4-4-1-1 formation without being too defensive and inviting even more Celtic possesion.

Parish

Kusanga Caulker O'Dea Holt

Deacon Kamara McGowan ANO (O'Hara?)

AJLS

Moussa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Double Blue said:

My main concern is closing them down on the wings. We cannot play too narrow. With whoever is chosen they need to play with energy 100% and give Celtic as little space as possible. We must take any chances we get as they will probably be few and far between. I'd go with 4-4-1-1 formation without being too defensive and inviting even more Celtic possesion.

Parish

Kusanga Caulker O'Dea Holt

Deacon Kamara McGowan ANO (O'Hara?)

AJLS

Moussa

Put Jon in as left back and move Holt to ANO?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Double Blue said:

My main concern is closing them down on the wings. We cannot play too narrow. With whoever is chosen they need to play with energy 100% and give Celtic as little space as possible. We must take any chances we get as they will probably be few and far between. I'd go with 4-4-1-1 formation without being too defensive and inviting even more Celtic possesion.

Parish

Kusanga Caulker O'Dea Holt

Deacon Kamara McGowan ANO (O'Hara?)

AJLS

Moussa

Personally, whether I like it or not I reckon we'll go with the 3 CB's, it makes sense if that's our preferred formation going into the split, let them get the practice in and go with the guys who will most likely be playing. We slate managers for changing formations and the 'square pegs' moving guys around so I'd be happy enough to go with the philosophy and tempo we had against Hearts. Assuming that's what we'll be doing after the split.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hendry to gift us a penalty only for Bain to finally save a penalty ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 19seventyone said:

Hendry to gift us a penalty only for Bain to finally save a penalty ???

Surely Bain can't play? He's on loan at Celtic isn't he?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Double Blue said:

My main concern is closing them down on the wings. We cannot play too narrow. With whoever is chosen they need to play with energy 100% and give Celtic as little space as possible. We must take any chances we get as they will probably be few and far between. I'd go with 4-4-1-1 formation without being too defensive and inviting even more Celtic possesion.

Parish

Kusanga Caulker O'Dea Holt

Deacon Kamara McGowan ANO (O'Hara?)

AJLS

Moussa

Agree think the formation against hearts worked as they don’t have much width so might not work against celts.

Edited by dun_d_rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

Surely Bain can't play? He's on loan at Celtic isn't he?

Correct. It'll have to be de Vries who is back fit again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, harry94 said:

So after ending the run of defeats with a point on Saturday and a decent performance, our pre-split season ends with a dreaded Old Firm away double. Last time we had this combination, we picked up a surprising point at Celtic Park with a rested team and then went to a then lower division Rangers and got humped with our stronger side so who knows how these games will pan out!

How would you line up on Wednesday? I'm very much of the view that we've got to keep consistency by keeping the system intact as much as possible as I think it'll pay off towards the last few games.

I think we should go:

Parish

Caulker Kusunga Meekings

Kerr O'Hara Kamara Holt

McGowan

AJ Moussa

Not dropping Deacon because he was bad (far from it) but think Cammy will suit this game better in bringing a bit more defensively which is his big strength. Holt as well for his legs and a couple of good performances. Murray on the bench just to rest his legs and then come on as an impact sub in the last half an hour when we need that bit of energy to drive up the park and take the pressure off.

I think a lot of hard work and sensible closing down could put up a good fight.

Surely after our best performance of the year so far and our first positive result in 4 games, we go with the same starting 11 as Easter Sunday?

Having seen Kerr at Ibrox this season against a weaker Rangers side than this Celtic one, I wouldn't have him near the first 11 on Wednesday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

Surely after our best performance of the year so far and our first positive result in 4 games, we go with the same starting 11 as Easter Sunday?

Having seen Kerr at Ibrox this season against a weaker Rangers side than this Celtic one, I wouldn't have him near the first 11 on Wednesday.

I certainly think we should have things generally settled on the back of a good result but it's not really my belief that a win and good performance justifies a totally unchanged squad tbh. We've got a playing squad for a reason and they all have different strengths (so many games over the years we've had a decent run of form going into these games and went unchanged only to get hammered with no players on the pitch to counter specific threats), Cammy for me is one of the best defensively solid players we have and in a game where we don't have as much of the ball, I'd prefer a winger to have one on ones with him rather than Deacon.

 

It's also maybe important to remember that system maybe provides a bit of a clue regarding Cammy's form. A back 4 in a non-direct team is highly reliant on the full-backs to build attacks. Short passing to him puts him under a lot of pressure and becomes really predictable fast. He's not that good on the ball and hasn't been afforded a natural partner ahead of him which a lot of fullbacks usually have (that Rangers game in particular - we were very open in front of the defence. The system we played against Hearts saw a variation of the ball being played out to all three centre-backs and long balls to Moussa and each fullback (even O'Hara on occasion) - far less in the way of pressure on individual players to create and a real team performance.

I think a tweak or two for tactical reasons is fair game. The only other changes I think are maybe just if we're planning to ration over two games and maybe let someone rest in the hope that they can make a great impact - I've no idea what the squad are like in terms of fitness and if there are any niggling injuries. The likelihood is that we'll see 15 or 16 players get on the pitch in the next couple of games.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I certainly think we should have things generally settled on the back of a good result but it's not really my belief that a win and good performance justifies a totally unchanged squad tbh. We've got a playing squad for a reason and they all have different strengths (so many games over the years we've had a decent run of form going into these games and went unchanged only to get hammered with no players on the pitch to counter specific threats), Cammy for me is one of the best defensively solid players we have and in a game where we don't have as much of the ball, I'd prefer a winger to have one on ones with him rather than Deacon.

 

It's also maybe important to remember that system maybe provides a bit of a clue regarding Cammy's form. A back 4 in a non-direct team is highly reliant on the full-backs to build attacks. Short passing to him puts him under a lot of pressure and becomes really predictable fast. He's not that good on the ball and hasn't been afforded a natural partner ahead of him which a lot of fullbacks usually have (that Rangers game in particular - we were very open in front of the defence. The system we played against Hearts saw a variation of the ball being played out to all three centre-backs and long balls to Moussa and each fullback (even O'Hara on occasion) - far less in the way of pressure on individual players to create and a real team performance.

I think a tweak or two for tactical reasons is fair game. The only other changes I think are maybe just if we're planning to ration over two games and maybe let someone rest in the hope that they can make a great impact - I've no idea what the squad are like in terms of fitness and if there are any niggling injuries. The likelihood is that we'll see 15 or 16 players get on the pitch in the next couple of games.

Fair points mate.

On a side note, watched the highlights back last night and something I didn't notice when I was at the game as my eyes were drawn to the ball and Deacon . Moussa for the goal before the ball came in for the goal. Absolutely brilliant from him. Showed strength and pushed his marker off who was trying to hold him or obstruct his run. Once he shrugged him off, he absolutely burst a gut with a sprint to get in the box to the back post for that Deacon cross. Don't know if it was something that was worked on in training for him to get in there like that, but thought it was excellent play from a striker I have criticised heavily this season due to his goal scoring record. Fully deserves to keep his place on Wednesday on that performance.

Edited by CW 90+3 02/05/16
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

Fair points mate.

On a side note, watched the highlights back last night and something I didn't notice when I was at the game as my eyes were drawn to the ball and Deacon . Moussa for the goal before the ball came in for the goal. Absolutely brilliant form him. Showed strength and pushed his marker off who was trying to hold him or obstruct his run. Once he shrugged him off, he absolutely burst a gut with a sprint to get in the box to the back post for that Deacon cross. Don't know if it was something that was worked on in training for him to get in there like that, but thought it was excellent play from a striker I have criticised heavily this season due to his goal scoring record. Fully deserves to keep his place on Wednesday on that performance.

I'm feeling a bit of Moussa love too.  I didn't really appreciate how good the run was though until you just pointed it out there.

He's been called every name under the sun this season but the guy works really hard and I do think he's a better player than the one that arrived (who was incapable of ever being onside and just fouled all the time). Maybe playing with Deacon could see him work that scoring tally up if he's going to get those sorts of balls into the box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

Fair points mate.

On a side note, watched the highlights back last night and something I didn't notice when I was at the game as my eyes were drawn to the ball and Deacon . Moussa for the goal before the ball came in for the goal. Absolutely brilliant from him. Showed strength and pushed his marker off who was trying to hold him or obstruct his run. Once he shrugged him off, he absolutely burst a gut with a sprint to get in the box to the back post for that Deacon cross. 

Like you didn’t notice at match but Said same to my boy when we watched goals back. I think it was Berra who was doing everything he could to block him, pull him back etc. Huge strength and then a bollocks of a finish! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My own opinions & comments on DFC games & players are based on what I see/read on here, Media, BBC, DeeTV (full recorded games) etc.

However, even for those who attend each & every DFC game, although they may see a broaded picture, it all falls back to individual opinions.

Wi' that in mind, I usually rely on NM & staff to get it right on the day (accepted it disnae aye work oot that way) Players have responsibility.

Against Hearts (imo) all of them showed what they are a capable of, with a determined belief, that could have been a winning performance.

My simple mind says ... Dont change anything !! The showed fight against Hearts...I'd say "Same again Lads" Include Murray & Moussa:chaplin:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if NM might rest a few players on wed, with sat in mind. Think we've a better chance of result against them (the darkness) than selik although it would be good to keep momentum going, difficult one to judge which way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two years ago we were at Parkhead in midweek then Ibrox on Saturday. That time we came away with a clean sheet against Celtic and were within a whisker of taking all three points when Gadz somehow headed wide. Then we went to Govan and folded after 30 seconds.

I'd actually be happy with the same again. A draw and a defeat before the split would be respectable. That said, Rangers are vulnerable at home. They've lost as many at home as Partick so we have a chance of a rare win there if we can get to half-time all square.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, harry94 said:

So after ending the run of defeats with a point on Saturday and a decent performance, our pre-split season ends with a dreaded Old Firm away double. Last time we had this combination, we picked up a surprising point at Celtic Park with a rested team and then went to a then lower division Rangers and got humped with our stronger side so who knows how these games will pan out!

How would you line up on Wednesday? I'm very much of the view that we've got to keep consistency by keeping the system intact as much as possible as I think it'll pay off towards the last few games.

I think we should go:

Parish

Caulker Kusunga Meekings

Kerr O'Hara Kamara Holt

McGowan

AJ Moussa

Not dropping Deacon because he was bad (far from it) but think Cammy will suit this game better in bringing a bit more defensively which is his big strength. Holt as well for his legs and a couple of good performances. Murray on the bench just to rest his legs and then come on as an impact sub in the last half an hour when we need that bit of energy to drive up the park and take the pressure off.

I think a lot of hard work and sensible closing down could put up a good fight.

I agree with the formation and playing Kerr and Holt but would play O'Dea ahead of Kusunga for this one if fit for his experience and origanisation. I would have Murray up front with Moussa as think his pace on the counter can cause Celtic problems.

i'd also have Deacon in for O'Hara as his direct running/pace can also cause problems on the counter.

                                     Parish

          Caulker  O'Dea (Kussunga) Meekings

Kerr                   Gowser      Kamara                 Holt

                               Deacon (free role)

                               Moussa  Murray

                              

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Just noticed the team that started against Hearts was the same team that played against Killie and was winning until the last 10mins. IMO that is our strongest team by far. Keep playing it even if we get beat by Celtic, play them again against Rangers too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.