The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
harry94

Lewis Spence - Signs New Contract

Rate this topic

spencydeal.jpg

After press speculation last month, it's confirmed that Lewis Spence has officially signed a new deal to keep him at the club until 2020.

Hopefully he continues to improve and produce more performances like Partick away early in the season where he was excellent.

He really needs to up His consistency though if he wants to play more often.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

The manager obviously has a huge amount of faith in him and I wouldn’t imagine he’s breaking the bank. 

I too think he’s got enough about him to merit a longer stay to show what he’s really capable of.

Good luck to him, hopefully he kicks on and becomes a great player for us. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Parcbara said:

Needs to do a lot more, for me. 

I think he needs to work on all aspects of his game and he could do worse than watch gowser and kamara closely. 

His strengths are he reads the game quite well, is a reasonable tackler and keeps the ball moving. 

He could improve his ball retention under pressure, his passing and shooting which imo aren’t great.

Nm must see enough in him to believe he’ll improve.

Happy with this and really pleased for the boy hopefully with his future secured it gives him a real incentive to kick on with his career  . I think we will see a lot more of him next season 

I thought he did really well last night considering that he hasn't played much recently. I know a few disagree with me on this, but I do think there is something about him and he could go on to be a decent player in the future. Just needs to cut out those silly mistakes, but he is still young and will learn.

• Like 4

I'm not as blown away as everyone else seems to be, but neither am I devastated by this news.

The lad's got great attitude, but he's been pretty limited in what return he gives in certain games, but there's time for that to improve.

I suppose my worry comes more from the feeling that we've seriously underperformed this season and we already have most of the squad signed up for next season again. 

Hope it works out for us and him.

He was released by Dunfermline last year and I've not seen anything yet to suggest they made a poor call.

He's still only 22 so plenty time for him to improve I suppose. I imagine he must have a great attitude for McCann to put so much faith in him.

Happy to keep him as long as he is willing to learn and develop as a player

Teams are far too willing to discard young players as not good enough, look at Jack Hendry who didn't make it in the Celtic youth system, only played a few games for Partick, Wigan sent him out on loan twice, hardly got a game at Shrewsbury or MK Dons, yet he comes to Dens for half a season and is sold for a million and become an international

Just now, Cobra said:

He was released by Dunfermline last year and I've not seen anything yet to suggest they made a poor call.

He's still only 22 so plenty time for him to improve I suppose. I imagine he must have a great attitude for McCann to put so much faith in him.

Maybe an easy one to throw in as a comparison but Stewart had less of a 'pedigree', we're seeing more guys coming good on their second chance. I doubt anyone is emptying themselves into their Y's over it but he's here already so knows the drill and I'm guessing not one of our top earners so maybe not a huge gamble. No idea if its a vanity project by NM or if the rest of the coaching staff are behind it too but from the outside, its not a shocker, at least to this smooth pimp daddy.

33 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Maybe an easy one to throw in as a comparison but Stewart had less of a 'pedigree', we're seeing more guys coming good on their second chance. I doubt anyone is emptying themselves into their Y's over it but he's here already so knows the drill and I'm guessing not one of our top earners so maybe not a huge gamble. No idea if its a vanity project by NM or if the rest of the coaching staff are behind it too but from the outside, its not a shocker, at least to this smooth pimp daddy.

I'm all for giving guys a second chance. I just think central midfield is such a critical area of the park. Games are won and lost there and at times Spence has simply not had enough presence. Hopefully he can kick on next season though.

Not over excited about this but think he has the potential to improve his game. Doubt he'll be a big earner so worth a punt

6 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I'm all for giving guys a second chance. I just think central midfield is such a critical area of the park. Games are won and lost there and at times Spence has simply not had enough presence. Hopefully he can kick on next season though.

I'm not sure one area of the park is more crucial, if you're weak in one area then it will be targeted. 

5 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

I'm not sure one area of the park is more crucial, if you're weak in one area then it will be targeted. 

I've always felt myself that teams can sometimes carry struggling players but not in central midfield.

You look at the 4-0 drubbing against St Johnstone. We were pretty much beaten before a ball was kicked because St Johnstone were always likely to dominate central midfield without McGowan and Kamara. I think if you took any two other players from our team we would have remained competitive and maybe got a result.

12 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I've always felt myself that teams can sometimes carry struggling players but not in central midfield.

You look at the 4-0 drubbing against St Johnstone. We were pretty much beaten before a ball was kicked because St Johnstone were always likely to dominate central midfield without McGowan and Kamara. I think if you took any two other players from our team we would have remained competitive and maybe got a result.

That we were missing both of our regular starters in a similar position was unfortunate and a bit of a distraction from the issue but I still don't think any one position is more vital than another. In any team game you need everyone to do their part, I've thought that playing the narrow way we have that the FB/WB's were crucial as they provided the only width. Ultimately we need them all to graft.

5 hours ago, Parcbara said:

Needs to do a lot more, for me. 

A bloody decent hair cut for starters.

• Funny 1