The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Rate this topic

Arsene Wenger revealed he's quitting Arsenal today and I was looking back to where Dundee were at that time. 

Wenger was unveiled at Highbury on 22nd September and the day prior to that Dundee beat East Fife 2-0 at Dens in front of 2,500 thanks to goals from Raeside and Hamilton. The team was Thomson, Smith, Raeside, Winnie, Tosh, Rae, Bain, Charnley, Magee, Shaw and Hamilton with Anderson, Ferguson and McKeown. Some very decent players and we went on to miss the play-offs by just two points.

It was a cracking kit we had back then as well.

Image result for dundee firkin brewery

Does anybody remember a St Johnstone game that season at dens when chic charnley score a last minute screamer of a free kick, I was 9, at the back of the Derry on my late dad's shoulders. Good times 

DDYB

• Like 1

That was a great time following the Dark Blues and as stated 3 cracking kits that if I recall were universally loved by our fans?-Still Got mine.

20180420_185223.jpg

• Like 3
  • Star Post 1

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

Arsene Wenger revealed he's quitting Arsenal today and I was looking back to where Dundee were at that time. 

Wenger was unveiled at Highbury on 22nd September and the day prior to that Dundee beat East Fife 2-0 at Dens in front of 2,500 thanks to goals from Raeside and Hamilton. The team was Thomson, Smith, Raeside, Winnie, Tosh, Rae, Bain, Charnley, Magee, Shaw and Hamilton with Anderson, Ferguson and McKeown. Some very decent players and we went on to miss the play-offs by just two points.

It was a cracking kit we had back then as well.

Image result for dundee firkin brewery

Correct me if i am wrong but i am sure  we did not have that kit until our promotion winning season 1997 -98 , but as you say Cobra some really good players in that side in 1996 , we beat Aberdeen and the DABS on a run to the League Cup semi final losing to Livi at Easter Road  ,i recall scoring 7 i think at East Fife and also recall the 7-2 humiliation at Mc dairmid park  on Cowboys first game as manager....New Years Day ....1996 -97 was an eventful season....the Marrs took over near the end of that season  i think  as well.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thegen65 said:

Correct me if i am wrong but i am sure  we did not have that kit until our promotion winning season 1997 -98 , but as you say Cobra some really good players in that side in 1996 , we beat Aberdeen and the DABS on a run to the League Cup semi final losing to Livi at Easter Road  ,i recall scoring 7 i think at East Fife and also recall the 7-2 humiliation at Mc dairmid park  on Cowboys first game as manager....New Years Day ....1996 -97 was an eventful season....the Marrs took over near the end of that season  i think  as well.

Did we not beat the dabs on pens? 

2 hours ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Is that's not Lee Maddison in that photo? :huh:

Yup

1 hour ago, Donny O said:

That was a great time following the Dark Blues and as stated 3 cracking kits that if I recall were universally loved by our fans?-Still Got mine.

20180420_185223.jpg

Me too. I still use the home and away ones for running tops and they've stood the test of time very well. 

I know that's Lee Madison in that photo but was that the last time we had the same kit two seasons in a row minus the red number? I think we wore that in 1996/97 and 97/98.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

Did we not beat the dabs on pens? 

We did indeed. Iain Ferguson kissing the Dees badge after scoring his PK (I think it was the winner). Also Billy Thompson saving a couple of DABs PKs (take note Scott Bain ?).

The highlight of the evening being Charnley finding time to acknowledge the Dee faithful with a cheeky wee thumbs up after ripping the p*ss out some Dab with his fine dribbling skills! 

Great night. 

• Like 1
  • Star Post 2

12 hours ago, UWTB1893 said:

I know that's Lee Madison in that photo but was that the last time we had the same kit two seasons in a row minus the red number? I think we wore that in 1996/97 and 97/98.

Correct. 

14 hours ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

Does anybody remember a St Johnstone game that season at dens when chic charnley score a last minute screamer of a free kick, I was 9, at the back of the Derry on my late dad's shoulders. Good times 

DDYB

Not sure who that was but we defo didn't beat St Johnstone at Dens when Charnley was there. 

The picture is from the Scottish Cup quarter final early 1998 when we drew 0-0 with Rangers at Ibrox as that's the only time we played Rangers wearing that strip. Home strip for the replay when Grady scored at the TC Keay.

3000 Dees in the Broomloan lower that Monday night. "We're Top Of The League And You're No" belted out for 90 mins. 

Edited by CW 90+3 02/05/16
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

The picture is from the Scottish Cup quarter final early 1998 when we drew 0-0 with Rangers at Ibrox as that's the only time we played Rangers wearing that strip. Home strip for the replay when Grady scored at the TC Keay.

3000 Dees in the Broomloan lower that Monday night. "We're Top Of The League And You're No" belted out for 90 mins. 

That was a good night!

Big Rab saved a pen too if I remember correctly. 

1 hour ago, Frank Grimes said:

Not sure who that was but we defo didn't beat St Johnstone at Dens when Charnley was there. 

Maybe a draw then, he definitely scored a late free kick against them at dens

18 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Na bud. 

You're right mate, just checked the match report. Douglas was outstanding that night, which maybe made me invent the penalty in my memory!

16 hours ago, thegen65 said:

Did we not get beat in the semi  by Livi in 2004? I was sitting next to the guy who played Tommy in Coronation street!! 

26 minutes ago, steven dee said:

Did we not get beat in the semi  by Livi in 2004? I was sitting next to the guy who played Tommy in Coronation street!! 

Yes you are right, it was Hearts in 1996 ,i got totally mixed up, cheers for the memory jog fella.

• Like 1