The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
barkblue

Formation Today

Rate this topic

Reading through the match thread, I see some folk referring to us playing 4-4-2 and others suggesting it was 3-5-2 today.

I thought we kind of played somewhere in between that today kind of...

Parish

Kerr   Kusunga    Caulker    Holt

O'Hara

Gowser          Kamara

<---------      Wighton     ---------->

Murray                   Moussa

It looked to me like O'Hara was specifically covering alongside Cammy and dropping into defence, while still being allowed to push into midfield, both on the left and beyond.

Whereas, in truth, my heart went out to Holt, who at times was being asked to try and operate on the left, cover the left of central defence and being asked to push forward. Some guys were shouting at him to play wider - which would have left a gaping hole between him and Caulker, which was already being exploited, but having him still play quite tight to the left of central defence at times, left room for two guys to attack down that side with no help from anyone else. It was an incredibly difficult shift to ask him to put in and I thought he stuck to the task well, even if the tactics pretty much hung him out to dry at times. 

Couldn't believe the stick he got when he planted a cross straight n the Coxy in the second half, while Gowser got off scot free when his cross/shot just about hit the corner flag. 

Anyway, I thought the formation and tactics were simply weird today. It got the result and that's all I really cared about but normally I can't quite fathom the formation prior to the match, today I can't quite work them out post match. 

You can only beat the team in front of you, but I can only be thankful that today the opposition were utter dross. 

Oh and just to add that this isn't a dig at McCann, I'm too pleased with the result for any of that p**h.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, barkblue said:

Reading through the match thread, I see some folk referring to us playing 4-4-2 and others suggesting it was 3-5-2 today.

I thought we kind of played somewhere in between that today kind of...

Parish

Kerr   Kusunga    Caulker    Holt

O'Hara

Gowser          Kamara

<---------      Wighton     ---------->

Murray                   Moussa

It looked to me like O'Hara was specifically covering alongside Cammy and dropping into defence, while still being allowed to push into midfield, both on the left and beyond.

Whereas, in truth, my heart went out to Holt, who at times was being asked to try and operate on the left, cover the left of central defence and being asked to push forward. Some guys were shouting at him to play wider - which would have left a gaping hole between him and Caulker, which was already being exploited, but having him still play quite tight to the left of central defence at times, left room for two guys to attack down that side with no help from anyone else. It was an incredibly difficult shift to ask him to put in and I thought he stuck to the task well, even if the tactics pretty much hung him out to dry at times. 

Couldn't believe the stick he got when he planted a cross straight n the Coxy in the second half, while Gowser got off scot free when his cross/shot just about hit the corner flag. 

Anyway, I thought the formation and tactics were simply weird today. It got the result and that's all I really cared about but normally I can't quite fathom the formation prior to the match, today I can't quite work them out post match. 

You can only beat the team in front of you, but I can only be thankful that today the opposition were utter dross. 

Oh and just to add that this isn't a dig at McCann, I'm too pleased with the result for any of that p**h.

I can't believe in all the years we've never replaced Ryan Conroy. An ok player who did well for us. We do not  have any one who is comfortable left mid. Main reason why Holt is exposed. Imo the only way to have a strong left side would be Jon at LB and Holt at LM. Both can defend and attack.

7 minutes ago, Blue4evr said:

I can't believe in all the years we've never replaced Ryan Conroy. An ok player who did well for us. We do not  have any one who is comfortable left mid. Main reason why Holt is exposed. Imo the only way to have a strong left side would be Jon at LB and Holt at LM. Both can defend and attack.

Conroy was slaughtered by Dundee fans, yeah, he had his faults but he was a decent enough player at the level we were at, as is Kevin Holt. Human nature being what it is, we always want an 'upgrade' though. If we were playing  a 4 4 2 I'd have no problem with Spanish Jon at LB and Holt at LM but we don't really play that way. I can't disagree with BB's assessment of the formation, I was looking at it and trying to figure out exactly what we had. At one point Cammy Kerr seemed to be across helping out Kevin Holt. Whether we were trying to push them down the left side I don't know but I can't say I was particularly impressed with the way we were set up today. I was just chuffed that St. J were pretty gash too.

I think it was primarily a back 3 with a bit of adaptability to change.

I've said it before but I think Cammy is the ideal outside centre back in that sort of system. With Meekings out, it made complete sense to preserve the system as much as possible as O'Dea and Kusunga lack mobility so would have been a bit risky of they weren't inside.

Left side was fine today IMO. Holt played well and provided a presence for Parish to distribute to and defended well. Maybe not the most composed at times but think he actually did most things OK.

1 minute ago, harry94 said:

I've said it before but I think Cammy is the ideal outside centre back in that sort of system. With Meekings out, it made complete sense to preserve the system as much as possible as O'Dea and Kusunga lack mobility so would have been a bit risky of they weren't inside.

Left side was fine today IMO. Holt played well and provided a presence for Parish to distribute to and defended well. Maybe not the most composed at times but think he actually did most things OK.

Agree with the highlighted bit, while he had the odd 'fox paw' he was pretty solid. Still at a loss to the formation, we relied on the FB/WB's (whatever they were for width especially on the left) so it was a big ask. O'Hara had one of his 'quiet' games so wasn't much help really, I hate having a go at our own players and rarely do it but was shouting on him to close down today.

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

The cover down each side felt completely different though. Cammy and O'Hara were often out wide right closing down both deep and in a more advanced role, while Holt was simply isolated all the time. 

It all seemed to be to get Wighton a freer role in the team, which worked reasonably well (and considering how long he's been out CC33 was really good) but I still can't quite shake off the feeling that a better team would have torn our defence apart today. I'm delighted to say that St Johnstone weren't a better team!