Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Programme About Islay On Bbc 1 Scotland This Tuesday 1st May

BBC 1 Scotland are broadcasting a programme on Tuesday 1st May at 7pm about the sinking of two US warships off Islay during the First World War. There is also a large event in Port Ellen Islay this Friday 4th for VVIP including Princess Anne.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b1vh83

Amazingly I did not receive an invite to attend the event despite all free advertising that the island of Islay receives on TDBF thanks to my many posts.

However had I received an invite I would have had a dilemma. Should I attend the VVIP event or travel to Dundee to sit in the Main Stand at Dens for the Dundee v Hamilton game. 

For me it was a “no-brainier”. I would attend the game at Dens and leave all the “crawlers” on Islay to “sook up” to Princes Anne and all the big-wigs from the UK and Scottish Governments plus the top brass from NATO.

The event is being held on Friday 4th May only because it is at the end of a NATO exercise off the West coast of Scotland and US warships will be able to attend the event.

The 4th of May is not the anniversary of the unfortunate sinking of these warships off Islay with a tremendous loss of lives.

The programme should be worth watching and on this occasion there are definitely parts of Islay shown. I have seen a trailer of the programme showing a local Port Ellen resident Jim McFarlane being interviewed.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
5 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

BBC 1 Scotland are broadcasting a programme on Tuesday 1st May at 7pm about the sinking of two US warships off Islay during the First World War. There is also a large event in Port Ellen Islay this Friday 4th for VVIP including Princess Anne.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b1vh83

Amazingly I did not receive an invite to attend the event despite all free advertising that the island of Islay receives on TDBF thanks to my many posts.

However had I received an invite I would have had a dilemma. Should I attend the VVIP event or travel to Dundee to sit in the Main Stand at Dens for the Dundee v Hamilton game. 

For me it was a “no-brainier”. I would attend the game at Dens and leave all the “crawlers” on Islay to “sook up” to Princes Anne and all the big-wigs from the UK and Scottish Governments plus the top brass from NATO.

The event is being held on Friday 4th May only because it is at the end of a NATO exercise off the West coast of Scotland and US warships will be able to attend the event.

The 4th of May is not the anniversary of the unfortunate sinking of these warships off Islay with a tremendous loss of lives.

The programme should be worth watching and on this occasion there are definitely parts of Islay shown. I have seen a trailer of the programme showing a local Port Ellen resident Jim McFarlane being interviewed.

Can we trust you that the above will happen, Islay?  You have previous for promoting programmes about Skye on the beeb that did not in fact air. :)

5 hours ago, HK Blues said:

Can we trust you that the above will happen, Islay?  You have previous for promoting programmes about Skye on the beeb that did not in fact air. :)

Hi HK.

This programme is listed in the BBC 1  Scotland TV listings for 7pm on Tuesday 4th May 2018.

It could of course have to be changed if there is “breaking news” of a “thriller in Manila”.

Incidentally when have I previously promoted a programme about Skye. I have never been to the island of Skye.

There is also a programme on BBC Alba tonight at 9pm about the same event. 

I do not understand Gaelic but the title on my Sky Box on Alba channel 142 mentions the word Ile and The loss so I am assuming it is about the same subject as the programme on BBC 1 Scotland this Tuesday at 7pm.

If I am wrong about tonight’s programme on Alba then I am sorry for the “duff information”!

On 29/04/2018 at 06:58, HK Blues said:

:o  Dearie me, HK, commiting what is surely the cardinal sin for Illeachs....."Skye"????  :wtf:   

I recorded the programme & watched it later, a great story, and so typical of the indigenous people of all the western islands of Scotland, coping with two horrific disasters, while most of their own young men were serving abroad, and yet making sure everything was done 'the right way', and in a very dignified manner. The interviews with descendants were very good, if anything this bit was a little too short. It was interesting to hear (Lord) George Robertson draw comparisons with Lockerbie, 7/7 & 7/11, in the way such a catastrophic event landed 'out of the blue' on the coastline of a fairly remote (in 1918) wee island with a fairly small population & not too many modern facilities. To have around 600 dead & dying soldiers washed up on your wee bit of coastline, bodies piled on the rocky shore, would have been incredibly hard to deal with.

I can only imagine the tragic Iolair (Sea Eagle) sinking within sight of Stornoway harbour in 2019, killing 205 of the 284 Lewis men returning from the war, as being worse for the island communities than the two Islay shipwrecks, simply because they were their own sons, brothers  & husbands.
https://www.scotsman.com/the-iolaire-disaster 

I'll certainly be recording anything about the Islay event this friday...I'd imagine both BBC & STV might feature it...probably Alba too.

I'll risk controversy by wondering if the modern 'settler' residents would have reacted with the same solemnity & dignity? I have a 'Far Side' image in my head of posh-accented 'gentry' cautiously turning over the piles of bodies with their walking sticks, while keeping their 'safe distance' from the riff-raff. Apologies to any 'gentry' who happen to read this ;)    

5 hours ago, WoodStein said:

:o  Dearie me, HK, commiting what is surely the cardinal sin for Illeachs....."Skye"????  :wtf:   

I recorded the programme & watched it later, a great story, and so typical of the indigenous people of all the western islands of Scotland, coping with two horrific disasters, while most of their own young men were serving abroad, and yet making sure everything was done 'the right way', and in a very dignified manner. The interviews with descendants were very good, if anything this bit was a little too short. It was interesting to hear (Lord) George Robertson draw comparisons with Lockerbie, 7/7 & 7/11, in the way such a catastrophic event landed 'out of the blue' on the coastline of a fairly remote (in 1918) wee island with a fairly small population & not too many modern facilities. To have around 600 dead & dying soldiers washed up on your wee bit of coastline, bodies piled on the rocky shore, would have been incredibly hard to deal with.

I can only imagine the tragic Iolair (Sea Eagle) sinking within sight of Stornoway harbour in 2019, killing 205 of the 284 Lewis men returning from the war, as being worse for the island communities than the two Islay shipwrecks, simply because they were their own sons, brothers  & husbands.
https://www.scotsman.com/the-iolaire-disaster 

I'll certainly be recording anything about the Islay event this friday...I'd imagine both BBC & STV might feature it...probably Alba too.

I'll risk controversy by wondering if the modern 'settler' residents would have reacted with the same solemnity & dignity? I have a 'Far Side' image in my head of posh-accented 'gentry' cautiously turning over the piles of bodies with their walking sticks, while keeping their 'safe distance' from the riff-raff. Apologies to any 'gentry' who happen to read this ;)    

Hi WoodStein.

I am glad that you enjoyed the programme. There was also an hour long programme last Sunday evening on Alba about the same topic but in my opinion the BBC programme was far more professionally produced and everybody interviewed spoke English.

The Alba programme had some Gaelic speakers most of whom I know personally but most of the filming of Islay by helicopter had been recycled from previous programmes produced by the tv production company Caledonian who also produced this programme on Alba.

I notice that you had a slight typo in your post. The shipping disaster of Stornaway was in 1918 not 2019.

There were six hundred dead bodies on the Islay shores and it must have been a harrowing sight. Local Islay residents at that time would have been used to seeing dead bodies as there had previously been numerous shipwrecks around Islay with many  people drowning and their bodies being washed up on the Islay shores.

Last night my wife and I were discussing what would happen nowadays if there was a similar shipwreck and we both agreed that the Islay Community Councillors would have several meetings before deciding what to do while the local residents would have got on with things and dealt with the same solemnity and dignity as a one hundred years before.

Finally I think that the local gentry would also have been appalled by this tragic loss of life and would have assisted in the recovery and transportation of the bodies to the drill Hall in Port Ellen which is now the Cyber Cafe.

Some of the staff who were employed by Islay Estates at Islay House spent the whole night making the US flag for the funerals held on Islay.

Edited by islaydarkblue
Error in date

Hi WoodStein,

One of the Ileach’s interviewed on the BBC programme was Donald James McPhee who is known throughout Islay as DJ and he was employed as the head gamekeeper at Dunlossit Estate until he retired about four years ago. 

DJ is a perfect gentleman and I do not think he knows about the Darkbluesforum.

Adblock Detected