The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Gedee

Can We Have An Honest, Open, Thoughtful Discussion, About The Dark Blue Forum Please?

Rate this topic

Anyone & everyone who reads or posts in this forum have one thing in common...THE LOVE & SUCCESS OF DUNDEE FOOTBALL CLUB.

They've an interest, love, or obsession, with DFC. General individual & family circumstances (This might include health and finance, etc)

Even our own age & personality may possibly define to what extent or degree, this interest extends. But we're All DFC fans & supporters.

This is, and always should be, the common denonominator of the Dark Blue Forum (IMO) And I am willing to be corrected, if I am wrong.

This does NOT mean, we all pick up the same hymn sheet & hand in hand,,all sing in sweet harmony & accord (Aye that's gonna happen)

We need vigorous, honest, lively, open debate on TDB. Bearing in mind, it is okay to hold (totally in some cases) the same view as others.

But whether as members, our views appear to be irrational, edge on the extremes of positivity or negativity is of little consequence at all.

If members (irregardless of their viewpoints) find it impossible to be polite & respectful to each other, it might be better in this instance,

to refrain from posting. DFC are still in a precarious position at this time & feelings & emotions are at their highest Let's get through this.

Just as a final point, there's been some negative comments about the forum recently ... Members leaving & fewer new members joining.

If this is the case I'm not sure I know what the answer is (Although I know Admin John works tirelessly) Can we do any more ourselves?

The odd snipe is disheartening. Often typed messages can be misinterpreted so maybe just having another quick read of your comment before pressing submit would help?

Sure I am guilty of this too on occasion so will practice what I preach but as you say its an emotive subject for many.

What gets me is the assumptin that all posters have the same moral standards and we are all male. Some need to think of the appropriateness of their posts, and I am no prude.

• Like 2

Think it's a good forum with a lot of really good posters. Like reading everyone's contribution.

Obviously there are disagreements all over the shop and I debate with people regularly holding opposing views but that's exactly what the forum is all about. A great place to discuss and debate all things DFC whom we all love.

It can get heated occasionally, but just move on and try not to get personal with people. It's only opinions on a game of football at the end of the day.

• Like 8
  • Star Post 1

Ìt's no my own style to personally insult others, or even be overly outspoken in my disagreement with some poster's expressed points. And I am no' saying this as a "Oh look at me. eh'm eh no' wonderful" thingy ... It might even be said, that I'm acting a bit "cowardly" in no' being more forceful (although others that know me well, especially in my dafter, wilder days of yore, widnae describe me as timid)

These days though I work much harder to be in control ... As much for the benefit of myself as consideration of other people's feelings

With that in mind. I am not only all in in favour of every poster on here expressing fully extreme opposite opinions, I would encourage it.

Personalising, antagonising, agravating them, splitting posters into "camps" putting people into boxes, because their view is different is

no the way to do it for me. It's no' easy to be critical of anither poster's viewpoint withoot being destructive as opposed to contstructive.

But, usually wi' a wee bit thought, it can be done ... And for me  anyway, that makes for a healthy active, busy, forum, where each & every

Dundee fan/supporter can freely express their views, without expecting/enduring, some o' the more sh*t comments/responses at times.

(Genuine Thank You to Billy & CW for responses above ...All responses appreciated)

• Like 1

I'm a bit of a weirdo but I enjoy reading the opposing views and enjoy getting the popcorn out and watching things unfold as much as the next guy.  In reality, this forum is very tame compared to others I pop into.  I don't even mind the posters who are overly negative or positive - it's the whole point of a forum IMO.  I don't even mind the off-topic posts as I can skip over them if I want to. I know some posters have given up, and whilst I respect their right to do so I don't really get to that point.   

It's all good for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

Think it's a good forum with a lot of really good posters. Like reading everyone's contribution.

Obviously there are disagreements all over the shop and I debate with people regularly holding opposing views but that's exactly what the forum is all about. A great place to discuss and debate all things DFC whom we all love.

It can get heated occasionally, but just move on and try not to get personal with people. It's only opinions on a game of football at the end of the day.

Spot on mate

• Like 1

Folk jump on the offended bus far too easily now a days...more so on football forums.....if anyone is easily offended I suggest they never read rangers media after a defeat....there's a forum that makes this place look like the happiest place on the planet.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, charliedee said:

Folk jump on the offended bus far too easily now a days...more so on football forums.....if anyone is easily offended I suggest they never read rangers media after a defeat....there's a forum that makes this place look like the happiest place on the planet.

While some folk can 'chose' to be offended, there are also posters who single out posters on here, that's not on either, taking out your frustrations on some random who has a different view. We don't all behave like grown ups unfortunately, the joys of a forum.

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1

2 hours ago, HK Blues said:

I'm a bit of a weirdo but I enjoy reading the opposing views and enjoy getting the popcorn out and watching things unfold as much as the next guy.  In reality, this forum is very tame compared to others I pop into.  I don't even mind the posters who are overly negative or positive - it's the whole point of a forum IMO.  I don't even mind the off-topic posts as I can skip over them if I want to. I know some posters have given up, and whilst I respect their right to do so I don't really get to that point.   

It's all good for me.

You will have noted HK, that I have given you a "like" ..... But that is basically for your opening gambit, which I have highlighted.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, charliedee said:

I'm no quite sure why I gave you a "like" charlie' ... But if Derrygunner gied ye ain ... Weel that's guid enuff fir me.

1 hour ago, chomp my root said:

While some folk can 'chose' to be offended, there are also posters who single out posters on here, that's not on either, taking out your frustrations on some random who has a different view. We don't all behave like grown ups unfortunately, the joys of a forum.

Your post above chomp makes the point beter than me ...

I'm not super sensitive, but I feel at times it's simply unnecessary, and the over personalised insults can easily lead to an all-out slanging match, which in turn can put a good thread right off-topic ....(And never mind the fact it also leaves little room for me to tell the DFC Fitba world, aboot meh indestructable Long-Johns, and the ever-engaging-interest, and progress o' my Juicy Plums) ...which by the way are reaching peak condition.

Hi HK ... I see from above you took my comment in the right way.

It's important that those of us with a questionable/dubious personality (basically bordering on madness) stick together at all times.

3 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Hi HK ... I see from above you took my comment in the right way.

It's important that those of us with a questionable/dubious personality (basically bordering on madness) stick together at all times.

I reckon bordering on madness/senility etc are prerequisites for being a Dee - actually a fan of any club.  Unfortunately,  the fans of our neighbours have crossed the border.  

• Funny 1

3 minutes ago, HK Blues said:

I reckon bordering on madness/senility etc are prerequisites for being a Dee - actually a fan of any club.  Unfortunately,  the fans of our neighbours have crossed the border.  

Crossed the border? They are on another planet in another universe!

• Funny 2

This is the one and only football forum I have ever been on, and since joining a couple of years ago have loved it, what with being "an out of Towner" I miss the debates that we used to have in the pubs I drank in Dundee, and you can feel a wee bit cut off and remote from what's going on in Dundee, and the feelings of the core of Dee fans, so this forum brings it all to me, it's just like sitting in the pub listening to the guys discussing the game, and disagreeing too, cos that also happens in pub football discussions but like on here the lads generally agree to disagree, it's all fine being at the game, but the bit I have always missed since moving away was the craic afterwards, and TDBF gives me that, so please keep on posting guys it will never be perfect, but just enjoy it and appreciate the hard work that people put in to make it happen!?

• Star Post 1

I have spoken to a number of Dundee supporters who look in to this forum to see what is being posted but they are not members.

Some people do not like posting in case other posters have a “pop” at them. I used to be like that and then I decided that “sticks and stones can break your bones but names will never harm you”.

Too many people are too easily 'offended' and hit 'report' to try to get other posters 'into trouble'. Childish really but other than that this a good discussion forum.

Never been on another Forum in my life. And don't want to go on any other than this one. 

18 minutes ago, Abernethy Dee said:

This is the one and only football forum I have ever been on, and since joining a couple of years ago have loved it, what with being "an out of Towner" I miss the debates that we used to have in the pubs I drank in Dundee, and you can feel a wee bit cut off and remote from what's going on in Dundee, and the feelings of the core of Dee fans, so this forum brings it all to me, it's just like sitting in the pub listening to the guys discussing the game, and disagreeing too, cos that also happens in pub football discussions but like on here the lads generally agree to disagree, it's all fine being at the game, but the bit I have always missed since moving away was the craic afterwards, and TDBF gives me that, so please keep on posting guys it will never be perfect, but just enjoy it and appreciate the hard work that people put in to make it happen!?

Don't feel I've got anything to add to your grand post above Abernethy ... And like yourself, this forum is now is the only forum I ever actively use (My first ever forum was Dundee Mad)  I think I've made it very clear in this, & in similar topics, I love the range of diverse & extreme differing opinions from the members on here ... But maybe occasionally, we should remind ourselves  we all support & want the best for the same club & show a little more respect (imo) when debate/discussions, become a bit more personal, over-heated, & downright insulting.

I think it's fair to say New Members have been slow in coming forward to TDBF rcently, & the overall figure has remained pretty static. It may simply be a reflection ofthe season DFC have had ....Or it may be something here we are no' doing right. Can we do better? I'm sure Admin John & other staff & other regular posters,, will not object to me asking, and in fact welcome & consider any suggestion, that helps to take us another step towatds a livelier & even more successful forum.

2 minutes ago, EastLothianBlue said:

Never been on another Forum in my life. And don't want to go on any other than this one. 

I used to post on the Official club forum but it went into meltdown after John Brown was appointed manager. Dundee supporters at a Q & A at Dens Park first found out about it when it was announced on Sky Sports with Spoofer “holed up” up in the board room at Dens Park.

Have posted on another well known forum before. This place is extremely strict compared to there and I've regularly said I preferred the other due to it not being club specific. I like the 'no emotional ties' input into Dundee. 

This site? It's very good, if a little over moderated. Thoroughly enjoy it and thanks to the team for all the work they put in.