The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Neil Cameron

Yesterday' Crowd

Rate this topic

Plaudits to all that went. Listening to the game on the radio in sunny Bristol I could feel the atmosphere over the radio. Boy it was awesome. Mind you my nerves were shattered as usual and when Hamilton got their penalty my earphones shot of my ear !!! I managed to get them in to hear the roar when Elliot saved it, absolutely brilliant also when the final whistle went - FANtastic. Well done everyone,team, management and fans.

• Like 5

Atmosphere was good for a game against Hamilton with only 100 odd away fans.

Home fans have really responded with noise and backing in the last couple of home games and the players have responded and have all been mentioning it.

Was good to see the whole Derry joining in with the songs on Saturday rather than just the usual few hundred down the bottom corner.

The 3 stand Hullo Hullo after the penalty save was class.

My only grumble is that we continued to charge full price for the post spit games so just got our usual numbers (5000 Dees v Hamilton, 4850 Dees v St Johnstone).

Last season we got 6500 Dees against Ross County when we opened the Shankly and reduced the prices (family deals) and 6200 Dees against Hamilton the game before with the same deal and Shankly opened again.

1500 extra Dees at both those games with deals this stage last season compared to zero extra Dees this season. Just the regular 4700 to 5000 who have been going all season.

If the Partick game next Saturday is a dead rubber, we'll do well to have 4700 Dees. They could have at least reduced the prices for that to get in a good crowd. Every other team has done it bottom 6.

I'm aware they've gave out free tickets to season ticket renewals before anyone mentions so I do know they've done something but look at the last 2 home games this season Dees turn outs above in this post compared to the two last season for the difference.

Players got stuck into challenges and got the ball outwide to Deacon and Wighton who like to take on defenders. That’s what gets the crowd going. The slow build up which we’ve seen for most of the season has been more or less ditched. 

• Like 3
  • Star Post 1

I could not get my free tickt v Accies as the queues were too long at the shop on Sat. Nor could I get my season ticket..

11 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

I could not get my free tickt v Accies as the queues were too long at the shop on Sat. Nor could I get my season ticket..

Not much use to you now I guess but I went into the shop after the game and picked up my free ticket for next weekend.

I wonder if the home crowd has realised that our horrific home form was possibly not helped by our lack of patience.

The support on Saturday was outstanding even when the passing was atrocious. We made our home advantage count and I don't think we always do that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I wonder if the home crowd has realised that our horrific home form was possibly not helped by our lack of patience.

The support on Saturday was outstanding even when the passing was atrocious. We made our home advantage count and I don't think we always do that.

I think it is understood, certainly among forum users, but it’s a habit that’s orobably hard to break.

The fear, of throwing points away, by failing to convert possession into chances, and the few chances we create into goals, is strong!

I’ve often felt more confident of holding onto a lead (or building on it) in away games, and perhaps some of the players do as well.

One of the more nervous seasons, for sure!

Think the home crowd against Partick will be big, everyone I know got the free ticket for that game :)

2 minutes ago, GregTeamDee said:

Think the home crowd against Partick will be big, everyone I know got the free ticket for that game :)

Yeah I did the same. The area around my season ticket looked quite full on the system when I got them.

17 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

I think it is understood, certainly among forum users, but it’s a habit that’s orobably hard to break.

The fear, of throwing points away, by failing to convert possession into chances, and the few chances we create into goals, is strong!

I’ve often felt more confident of holding onto a lead (or building on it) in away games, and perhaps some of the players do as well.

One of the more nervous seasons, for sure!

I just found it quite interesting that even when there was a horrific failure to make a 10-yard pass there were no groans. I guess the fans just realised the significance of the game and  decided to put aside their usual disdain for incompetence.

The attitude of the players was different class though and I'm sure that energy passed into the stands.

Goes to show what even a little bit of fan engagement can do. Connection between supporters and club has been very good in the last few weeks.

A complete change of social media strategy coupled with some thanks and recognition direct form players / staff to supporters make a world of difference. Even on match day when things ain’t going our way. 

Hopefully ST sales are still brisk ?

• Like 1
  • Star Post 2

Think the crowd also fed off of Wighton constantly getting at their wing back. What an exciting player, beat him every time and I felt that a chance was going to come begging every time he touched the ball. Not a coinscedence that he created Holts goal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rosco said:

Think the crowd also fed off of Wighton constantly getting at their wing back. What an exciting player, beat him every time and I felt that a chance was going to come begging every time he touched the ball. Not a coinscedence that he created Holts goal. 

Correct Rosco, Can’t wait to see him on the pitch for a complete season. :bop:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Derekgow said:

Correct Rosco, Can’t wait to see him on the pitch for a complete season. :bop:

His directness and putting the defenders on the back foot is an absolute joy. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rosco said:

He scored  a great  goal at Hamilton  driving  down the left channel . Was that  last season ?.

31 minutes ago, Dondeh said:

He scored  a great  goal at Hamilton  driving  down the left channel . Was that  last season ?.

Craig Wighton hasn't scored against Hamilton.

4 hours ago, Cobra said:

I think the support on Saturday responded to the clear effort and passion being shown on the park. In all honesty, in my opinion, that's not always been evident in every home game and I think the fans have fed off that. 

We did also seem to have ditched the slow, slow, slow build up on Saturday, so I think the change in approach to some extent suggests the fans find it hard to stomach and aren't enjoying it. But again, I'm only giving a personal opinion on that. 

2 hours ago, Boba Fett said:

Goes to show what even a little bit of fan engagement can do. Connection between supporters and club has been very good in the last few weeks.

A complete change of social media strategy coupled with some thanks and recognition direct form players / staff to supporters make a world of difference. Even on match day when things ain’t going our way. 

Hopefully ST sales are still brisk ?

And I think this has played a large part in things. I have to be honest and say, just as I needed a wee shot in the arm, the enthusiasm and honesty from the management, players and those behind the scenes, towards the season ticket engagement and strip launch etc gave me exactly the wee lift I needed. A big well done due to all involved there.

With ten m inutes to go the crowd was building up to a crescendo when you thought we will get a second goal.Cue for the opposition to step up their energy levels,indulge in a bit of chancing it at the throw-in incident leading to the penalty when our lads had switched off and could have spoiled our day.

Conclusion from this is that contrary to popular belief a noisy home support is not worth a goal start or anything like it.It winds up the away team also.Its good from the enjoyment point of view but that's all.On the other hand a negative home support will I think discourage the home team and be self defeating.The moral of the story is clear.

Incidentally if we had done the same thing at the throw would we have said that's cheating/unsporting etc.You have to make and take your chances and that includes your coaching staff catching and throwing the ball back fast and Hamilton did that not once but twice.Were we alive to that-I don't think so.We need to be more savvy.

• Like 1

Home advantage seems to more noticeable in bigger countries where the away team has to travel a significant distance such as Brazil and the US.

I don't think there is any home advantage when we play the likes of Hamilton and Motherwell but it does seem to give us a bit of an edge against bigger clubs like Rangers and Hearts.

Every time Tic has a European game where they know they will struggle out comes the old cliché 'the crowd will be worth a goal'.What a load of bollocks