Jump to content
The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Home Town Heroes

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I quite liked something Man City did to celebrate their title win so had a look at our team when we were champions of Scotland. All Scots.

Bert Slater, Musselburgh
Alex Hamilton, Armadale
Bobby Cox, Dundee
Bobby Seith, Coatbridge
Ian Ure, Ayr
Bobby Wishart, Edinburgh
Gordon Smith, Edinburgh
Andy Penan, Rosyth
Alan Cousin, Alloa
Alan Gilzean, Coupar Angus
Hugh Robertson, Auchinleck
Pat Liney, Paisley
George Ryden, Dumbarton
George McGeachie, Falkirk
Doug Houston, Glasgow

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celtic's European Cup winning side of 1967 were all Weegies I believe? Some going when you look at the national make up of Europe's most successful sides now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cobra said:

I quite liked something Man City did to celebrate their title win so had a look at our team when we were champions of Scotland. All Scots.

Bert Slater, Musselburgh
Alex Hamilton, Armadale
Bobby Cox, Dundee
Bobby Seith, Coatbridge
Ian Ure, Ayr
Bobby Wishart, Edinburgh
Gordon Smith, Edinburgh
Andy Penan, Rosyth
Alan Cousin, Alloa
Alan Gilzean, Coupar Angus
Hugh Robertson, Auchinleck
Pat Liney, Paisley
George Ryden, Dumbarton
George McGeachie, Falkirk
Doug Houston, Glasgow

Not forgetting Bobby Waddell from Methil 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jojo gunn said:

Not forgetting Bobby Waddell from Methil 

Thanks for adding that. I couldn't find that info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

Celtic's European Cup winning side of 1967 were all Weegies I believe? Some going when you look at the national make up of Europe's most successful sides now.

ITalian side are still,traditionally fairly made up of Italians, more than most leagues where mixed nationalities ate the norm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

ITalian side are still,traditionally fairly made up of Italians, more than most leagues where mixed nationalities ate the norm.

You'll need to report to Political Correctness camp for that post I reckon. ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

Celtic's European Cup winning side of 1967 were all Weegies I believe? Some going when you look at the national make up of Europe's most successful sides now.

I think Bobby Lennox is from Ayr but could by mistaken 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steven dee said:

I think Bobby Lennox is from Ayr but could by mistaken 

I thought that it was previously stated that all the team came from within thirty miles of Glasgow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/05/2018 at 14:29, Cobra said:

I quite liked something Man City did to celebrate their title win so had a look at our team when we were champions of Scotland. All Scots.

Bert Slater, Musselburgh
Alex Hamilton, Armadale
Bobby Cox, Dundee
Bobby Seith, Coatbridge
Ian Ure, Ayr
Bobby Wishart, Edinburgh
Gordon Smith, Edinburgh
Andy Penan, Rosyth
Alan Cousin, Alloa
Alan Gilzean, Coupar Angus
Hugh Robertson, Auchinleck
Pat Liney, Paisley
George Ryden, Dumbarton
George McGeachie, Falkirk
Doug Houston, Glasgow

I think that Pat Liney came from Linwood which is next door to Paisley.

Things were a lot different back then as some players remained with the their first club throughout their playing career such as Bobby Cox. Some of these players were signed as apprentice footballers and worked their way up through the reserve team to the first team. 

None of the above players were big money signings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

I thought that it was previously stated that all the team came from within thirty miles of Glasgow.

Iv seen that qoute before as well Islay. Just checked and Lennox as born in Saltcoats (30 miles) and the rest were all born within 15 miles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, steven dee said:

Iv seen that qoute before as well Islay. Just checked and Lennox as born in Saltcoats (30 miles) and the rest were all born within 15 miles. 

Thank you for your information.

Sadly there will never again will a team consist of all the players born within such a close area ever win the European Cup or Champions League as the top clubs prefer to buy success by signing top players from other clubs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, downfielddee said:

We currently have three Dundee supporting Dundonians in our starting 11, can’t have been many times like that in our history 

Cammy Kerr, Craig Wighton - who's the third?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, steven dee said:

Iv seen that qoute before as well Islay. Just checked and Lennox as born in Saltcoats (30 miles) and the rest were all born within 15 miles. 

I remember it as 'spitting distance' so not sure why I had 1 mile in my head. Still, given what sides need to do now to get success the achievements of that Dundee team, that Celtic team and that other dayglos team in playing only 'local' players really are something.

Edited by Prince Buster
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.