Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkBlues

Pre-Match: Partick Thistle (Home, 12th May 2018)

Rate this topic

Welcome to the last game of the season, after 37 games we sit 9th place and secure in the knowledge that we are still Dundee's only Premier Team.

The visitors for this game Partick Thistle are currently sitting in 11th spot and still fighting for their place in the Premier League.

While technically we have nothing to play for, I hope the players go out and play with some pride for an end of season win!

DDYB!

Who gives a...

:D

In all seriousness, while it is good to have a game with absolutely no pressure whatsoever (even league place isn't up for grabs), there's always something good about at the very least avoiding defeat in the last home game. 

I still wouldn't necessarily object to a slightly experimental side, maybe giving some of the development team a run-out. Some might object (especially from Ross County) but we've got to look after ourselves and part of that is trying to blood the youths through.

2 minutes ago, markthedee said:

Who gives a...

:D

In all seriousness, while it is good to have a game with absolutely no pressure whatsoever (even league place isn't up for grabs), there's always something good about at the very least avoiding defeat in the last home game. 

I still wouldn't necessarily object to a slightly experimental side, maybe giving some of the development team a run-out. Some might object (especially from Ross County) but we've got to look after ourselves and part of that is trying to blood the youths through.

I would agree with that Mark, would be good to see some of the young lads get a chance to play, but I feel that McCann will play a strong squad to get the win under the belt.

Personally, I wouldn't mind losing about 20 goals this weekend to see Partick leap frog Hamilton ;)

• Like 1

A lot of very nervous Thistle fans on Saturday. 

Since Helicopter Saturday in 2014, our final game of each season (each one a dead rubber) has been 0-3, 0-4 and 0-4. 

Don't really want Thistle down. Hopefully we can win and Thistle still survive. 

I’d like to see a couple of younger players starting on Saturday, maybe lambert and scott

• Like 3

I'd prefer we put out the best team possible and go for a win to finish the season on a high and set us up for a good close season.  Yes, blood a youngster or two, but not to the extent it's going to weaken the team significantly.  I'm also all for integrity and would hope we aim to win every game - especially when a team's future is in jeapordy.  You never know when something can come back and bite you in the a**e.

• Like 5
  • Star Post 2

I would put out our best team tell the lads to go and enjoy the last game of the season, plus it’s not sporting or fair on teams fighting for their livelihood, I would be ripping if we were fighting to stay up and a team that was safe played a weaker side agains one of our rivals, what comes around goes around comes to mind.

• Like 4
  • Star Post 1

Would NM maybe try again some of his more "dubious"players ... Possible final look before making a decision on whether they stay or go?

I watched last night's game on ALBA (Making a point of NOT knowing the score) If I was being honest, I'd say first half was torture for me.

However. Did anyone have thoughts on Wolters? (Not dynamic, but he put in some searching crosses I thought)

El Bak I thought was similar ... Seemed to work harder & put in the tackes. Neither great. But playing for a place?

0-16. Anything less and I will be calling the game into disrepute. Mon the Harry's. 

• Like 1

Is it too late for the club to slash the prices for this?

£10 and £5 could add a decent number onto the PATG crowd from both sets of supporters - £24 being too much for a nothing game (home), or simply being too much while utterly demoralised (away) in the fight to live another day.

56 minutes ago, markthedee said:

Is it too late for the club to slash the prices for this?

£10 and £5 could add a decent number onto the PATG crowd from both sets of supporters - £24 being too much for a nothing game (home), or simply being too much while utterly demoralised (away) in the fight to live another day.

Pretty much. A bunch of people already have free tickets purchased with season tickets so you couldn't really slash prices now.

Interested to see how many Thistle bring. A lot of negativity from their fans just now.

9 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Pretty much. A bunch of people already have free tickets purchased with season tickets so you couldn't really slash prices now.

Interested to see how many Thistle bring. A lot of negativity from their fans just now.

Why no pit on "Free Hot Pehs" for awebody & anybody that wants them !!

Naebody, is gonna be running up tae Dens ... Wi their TEN hungry bairns.

To tak advantage o this "Once in a Lifetime Offer" But it's a wee gesture !!

Dinnnae mak a big thing o' it, wi advertising it (Jist dae it)...Fans'll love it !!

......OR/AND, EVEN FREE MATCH DAY PROGRAMMES !!

13 hours ago, Gedee said:

Would NM maybe try again some of his more "dubious"players ... Possible final look before making a decision on whether they stay or go?

I watched last night's game on ALBA (Making a point of NOT knowing the score) If I was being honest, I'd say first half was torture for me.

However. Did anyone have thoughts on Wolters? (Not dynamic, but he put in some searching crosses I thought)

El Bak I thought was similar ... Seemed to work harder & put in the tackes. Neither great. But playing for a place?

Just what I thought neither looked like they were playing for a new contract!!

1 hour ago, Gedee said:

Why no pit on "Free Hot Pehs" for awebody & anybody that wants them !!

Naebody, is gonna be running up tae Dens ... Wi their TEN hungry bairns.

To tak advantage o this "Once in a Lifetime Offer" But it's a wee gesture !!

Dinnnae mak a big thing o' it, wi advertising it (Jist dae it)...Fans'll love it !!

......OR/AND, EVEN FREE MATCH DAY PROGRAMMES !!

I noticed last week that there was a voucher for a free scotch pie with any drink in my season ticket book. Should be a big rush this week if everyone notices it's there!

• Funny 1

13 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Since Helicopter Saturday in 2014, our final game of each season (each one a dead rubber) has been 0-3, 0-4 and 0-4. 

McCann seemed genuinely absolutely seething last year when that happened. You saw the difference in competitiveness levels of our early friendlies/cup games and I don't think it's something he'll want to do.

Hartley tended to release half the team a couple of games early and drop anyone who remotely had the slightest inkling of a knock. I don't think we'll see that this year. Maybe a couple of changes but think we'll keep competitive and put in a battle.

Ideally, we'd both be in positions where our league place can't change and take the opportunity to field a few youngsters but the integrity of the league is important.

13 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Pretty much my feelings on it too. Would like us to sign off with a good win and a clean sheet but also hope County fail to win in Perth.

Four wins out of five post-split would be a superb return and send us all home with a smile on the face and full of hope for next season.

38 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I noticed last week that there was a voucher for a free scotch pie with any drink in my season ticket book. Should be a big rush this week if everyone notices it's there!

Thanks for the heads up Harry. 

NM is going for a performance and  3 points - he said so after  the game. With that  in mind he will play his strongest 11 from those  available . 

3 hours ago, harry94 said:

Used the missus's on saturday, being a veggie she ain't big on Jock peh's so I did het a solid and took it off her hands. ?

Mine was used long ago. ?