The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Markmcdee

Disproportionate Bookings

Rate this topic

When I looked at the number of bookings against Ross County I couldn't believe we only committed 9 fouls.

Recent games show that there appears to be either over zealous refereeing or our fouls are so bad that we 

get booked for almost every 3rd foul we commit.

Against Motherwell a couple of weeks ago, we committed 6 fouls and had 2 players booked, but Motherwell 

commited 19 fouls and didn't receive any bookings, has anyone else noticed this strange statistic

• Like 2

Either we are picked on or our fouls are bookable offences. We as a team are not as physical as others and maybe we have not learned how to foul clever yet?

In saying that I do prefer fair football as opposed to sneaky kicking and shoving.

Edited by Billy Campbell's Ghost
  • Like 1

At one point after the whistle blew. O'Dea was off balance and a County violently dragged him down before running off. Pretty sure the guy got away with it.

Some teams seem to look for these opportunities to aggravate an opponent without getting punished.

21 minutes ago, Markmcdee said:

When I looked at the number of bookings against Ross County I couldn't believe we only committed 9 fouls.

Recent games show that there appears to be either over zealous refereeing or our fouls are so bad that we 

Against Motherwell a couple of weeks ago, we committed 6 fouls and had 2 players booked, but Motherwell 

commited 19 fouls and didn't receive any bookings, has anyone else noticed this strange statistic

Been going on for years, the fouls to cards ratio in the Bonnetti years was ridiculous, fewest fouls in the league alongside Celtic, yet same amount of red and yellow cards as the most fouling teams (one of which was again unsurprisingly Motherwell)

31 minutes ago, Cobra said:

At one point after the whistle blew. O'Dea was off balance and a County violently dragged him down before running off. Pretty sure the guy got away with it.

Some teams seem to look for these opportunities to aggravate an opponent without getting punished.

Naismith (who had already been booked) and, bizarrely, stuck a finger in Randy's lug for some reason, prompting a rammy.

2 hours ago, Markmcdee said:

A constant discussion point at every game, to the extent that 2 of us are regularly counting the fouls....and one even sent a text from a bar in Portugal at HT on Saturday with the count!

I think at least 4 SPL teams are 'experts' in the art of sharing the off-the-ball & cynical fouls around the team, minimising bookings, and even after they have half a dozen yellows, they still manage to spread the fouls around, to limit their reds. One of those seems particularly well-drilled in this, and can even successfully 'hit on' the same opposition player with fouls committed by successively different players.

No names, but they could go to a fancy dress party as a set of traffic cones.  :spock:  

....and they're no' half as clever as their name might imply :o   

Like BCG above, I prefer to support a team that plays a 'fairer' style of football, but I feel we're still too naive at times, back off & end up giving away fouls far too close to our goal. We need to learn how to commit the fouls in midfield, away from the danger area.

For me it's all down to the refs - they put up with the first five or six brutal challenges (all by the hammer throwers) and by the time we make our first challenge (deemed to be a foul) the ref is ready to flash a card.

This leaves stats show us trailing fouls 5-1 but leading bookings 1-0. And it tends to continue from there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cobra said:

Naismith also stuck his elbow in o, dea,s face, just before he pulled him down, how he got away without a booking there beggars belief.