Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

McCann

Cobra

McCann's first year  

120 members have voted

1. 1. How would you describe McCann's first full season in management?

6 hours ago, skullduggery said:

I think he may be regretting giving up the Sky gig in all honesty. Being the manager of Dundee is a thankless task. A proportion of our so called fans live in an alternative universe to myself. We managed to finish 9th with a game to spare, yet some still felt the need to vilify the manager and some of the players today. I sit in the Coxy so can only comment on what I hear in there, but some "supporters" really need to find something else to do, when we are at home, because they obviously are only there to criticise. We had an under strength team today and introduced a couple of development players, which I thought was the right thing to do, given that we were safe, but some were still not happy with that. I heard one guy behind me say, "get Deacon off he's f**cking shyte and bring El Bak on. El Bak comes on and within 5 mins he was criticising the substitution. TBH I'm chunt sick of some of the comments I hear from some of our fans. God knows what the players and management think.

A good few people going crazy in the Derry as well. You would have thought it was a cup final, instead of what it was, a wee meaningless run around to give a couple development player's game time. 

It was a crap game but there was always a good chance the game was going to turn out like it did.  

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Mixed bag for me.

league was stronger with the addition of Hibs v ICT and we moved up one place v last year.

performances were erratic with some horror shows especially at home.

NB sharing displeasure is different to hurling abuse and incomprehensible bile. (I’m not suggesting you do that Spirit) Goodness knows what some fans would do to deal with their general life frustration if DFC were brilliant!?!........

I can’t see any improvement under McCann from PHs team. For the team to improve we need better players to play the way he wants to play, we have went through the season with no strike force  and no pace in the team offensively.   We need to sign five better players for the starting 11 to improve , this may be difficult due to the players under contract who are not good enough.

Indication of our season ahead is if he offers Holt, Murray,O’harra,AJ new deals, he has to move on Moussa or  Haber  to name a few.

23 minutes ago, BigG said:

I can’t see any improvement under McCann from PHs team. For the team to improve we need better players to play the way he wants to play, we have went through the season with no strike force  and no pace in the team offensively.   We need to sign five better players for the starting 11 to improve , this may be difficult due to the players under contract who are not good enough.

Indication of our season ahead is if he offers Holt, Murray,O’harra,AJ new deals, he has to move on Moussa or  Haber  to name a few.

Agree entirely

To be honest, there may be a case for thinking the folk that are expecting major improvements year on year with our results, performances and league position may be the delusional ones.  Next year is going to be similar to this one imo so you better strap yourselves in and get used to it now.

Nothing more than a gut feeling says that players will come and players will go.  Some will be a success and some will be abject failures.  We will skirt with the relegation zone and there will be talk at numerous times during the season about us kicking on for the top 6.  We may even manage the feat.   Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Aberdeeen and Hearts will be the top 5 again (maybe not in that order) and everyone else will be 'targeting' the top 6 because saying anything else will be seen as an admission of defeat.

We may go on a super duper run and finish 6th but who knows who will get it.  Killie got it this year, a feat put down to the quality of their manager.  Partick managed it the year before , a feat put down to what - their squad and manager maybe??  The same squad and manager that could still see then relegated 12 months later.  It will be fine margins at the bottom again and a good signing or a couple of injuries to key players could make all the difference.  I doubt that the prolific, proven striker will not be sitting on the shelf waiting on the call from Dundee FC.  The manager, the players and the BOD will get pelters as usual.  We will finish 8th maybe but without the wiinning, entertaining package that folk dream of, it will not be enough for some.

I can't wait.  Roll on July

7 hours ago, Cobra said:

I'm hoping that McCann has learned a lot about himself and the team in the last 12 months and next season will be very different, with us tighter at the back and sharper up front. 

Although most posts above come from different directions (understably) reflecting personal perspectives. I think your final comment is a good place to start for me Cobra ... I voted "mixed bag" And I feel the New Season is the crucial one, as well as the fairer one, to test out NM's credentials & potetential, to manage successfully a Premiership Club .... And Dundee City's Only Premiership Club !!

Neil McCann as I see it, is arguably still in the "novice stages", and as such (still arguably) still going through a learning curve, in what management is all about. And has still got to find his way around small & huge issues, that come with, managing successfully an ambitious Premiership Club.

But I see him as intelligent, driven, articulate, with complete faith (maybe misjudged) in his judgement & general skills & decision-making. That does not mean, he get's anything like "everything" right. But as I believe he has unlimited potential, I would rather have him at the ,than many others

(I may revise that last comment/statement when, the present manager fae doon the road becomes available)

I do not in any way dismiss NM's career as a successful footballer, or his time with Sky as a pundit, as time wasted, when it comes to transferring these aquired skills into management. He is (imo) an intelligent person. And although he may not as yet, be able to transfer all this aquired knowledge into his new career as management, I strongly believe, it will happen. But I would expect to see the results next season.

And if this does not happen, I will accept (possibly) I was wrong ... And certainly feel disappointed.

I LOVE DUNDEE FC:chaplin:

Up and down season, with mixed results and only had one doubt moment that we may get relegated after the Saints defeat, was pretty confident throughout the season and that was purely based on that their were other teams that were worse. 

Glad the club have an ethos and identity by trying to play football and glad the development teams also play the same way, this is great for the long term future. In terms of signings, McCann has been a success and we have players now that are worth a lot of money to the club. The whole club has improved from last season and we stayed up, the future looks bright! 

Edited by Guest

35 minutes ago, Attilio said:

To be honest, there may be a case for thinking the folk that are expecting major improvements year on year with our results, performances and league position may be the delusional ones.  Next year is going to be similar to this one imo so you better strap yourselves in and get used to it now.

Nothing more than a gut feeling says that players will come and players will go.  Some will be a success and some will be abject failures.  We will skirt with the relegation zone and there will be talk at numerous times during the season about us kicking on for the top 6.  We may even manage the feat.   Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Aberdeeen and Hearts will be the top 5 again (maybe not in that order) and everyone else will be 'targeting' the top 6 because saying anything else will be seen as an admission of defeat.

We may go on a super duper run and finish 6th but who knows who will get it.  Killie got it this year, a feat put down to the quality of their manager.  Partick managed it the year before , a feat put down to what - their squad and manager maybe??  The same squad and manager that could still see then relegated 12 months later.  It will be fine margins at the bottom again and a good signing or a couple of injuries to key players could make all the difference.  I doubt that the prolific, proven striker will not be sitting on the shelf waiting on the call from Dundee FC.  The manager, the players and the BOD will get pelters as usual.  We will finish 8th maybe but without the wiinning, entertaining package that folk dream of, it will not be enough for some.

I can't wait.  Roll on July

Good post and agree with most of it. It raises the question of what a successful season would be for us? We have the 6th biggest wage bill in the league according to this link > http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15686552.Survey_reveals_stark_financial_gap_between_Celtic_s_wage_budget_and_the_rest_of_Scottish_Premiership/ so we should be in the mix for 6th place with good recruitment / management. I'd take being in the race for top 6 in the last few games before the split and a good cup run. 

NM also said he set himself higher targets than we have achieved this season and he is disappointing so it's not just the fans expecting more. 

This transfer window will make or break Neil as a manager as i think he will be well backed by the board again and may have an even better budget than this season if we sell Kamara and or Caulker. If we can move on the dead wood and sign 5 players of the standard of NM's good signings then it's definitely not unrealistic.

Edited by nemsadzDEE

Mixed bag. The summer recruitment and pre season will be vital. If we are planning or expecting to lose Kamara and Caulker lets get those deals done now. The atmosphere caused by losing Hendry Bain and Allen at the end of the window was very bad for club morale. The signing of Caulker and Kusunga helped address the defence issues but it took a while to find a winning style without an obvious goal scorer and play maker and we don't seem to have solved it even yet. Wighton as playmaker might be the answer. Think we found a way to pick up points once NM got the message that consistent selection and the occasional long ball was now "his style".

The Bain situation is something that needs clarified.  I did feel Bain's performances had dipped a lot compared with previous seasons and if all that happened was that McCann told him to buck up his ideas and Bain threw a tantrum then I would back McCann all the way.  If that's the case then the laddie will probably also fall out with his new employers at some point.  If not then McCann's man management skills were sadly lacking in that particular situation.  If so then 0/10 for that one.  Then we have Caulker saying he feels McCann is the type of manager he feels will help him get his career back on track and signs for Dundee to the surprise of everyone and plays some great stuff,10/10 for man management with that one.

The development side of things seems to be paying dividends and McCann seems willing to give youth a chance if they are good enough 8/10 there. 

We played some great stuff at times during the season and lost a fair number of games we could have won but for some highly debatable refereeing decisions.  However, if you don't defend properly and can't put your chances away then you will always be fighting against relegation, 5/10 there.

Definitely a mixed bag for me. 

Adblock Detected