Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

McCann

Cobra

McCann's first year  

120 members have voted

1. 1. How would you describe McCann's first full season in management?

14 minutes ago, BCram said:

Mixed bag. The summer recruitment and pre season will be vital. If we are planning or expecting to lose Kamara and Caulker lets get those deals done now. The atmosphere caused by losing Hendry Bain and Allen at the end of the window was very bad for club morale. The signing of Caulker and Kusunga helped address the defence issues but it took a while to find a winning style without an obvious goal scorer and play maker and we don't seem to have solved it even yet. Wighton as playmaker might be the answer. Think we found a way to pick up points once NM got the message that consistent selection and the occasional long ball was now "his style".

Good points mate, glad NM learned that we couldn't continue to play it from the back at all expense once Hendry left as he was key to that style IMO. It will be interesting to see who McCann signs as will tell us a lot about how he plans to set us up next season. 

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
1 hour ago, Attilio said:

To be honest, there may be a case for thinking the folk that are expecting major improvements year on year with our results, performances and league position may be the delusional ones.  Next year is going to be similar to this one imo so you better strap yourselves in and get used to it now.

Nothing more than a gut feeling says that players will come and players will go.  Some will be a success and some will be abject failures.  We will skirt with the relegation zone and there will be talk at numerous times during the season about us kicking on for the top 6.  We may even manage the feat.   Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Aberdeeen and Hearts will be the top 5 again (maybe not in that order) and everyone else will be 'targeting' the top 6 because saying anything else will be seen as an admission of defeat.

We may go on a super duper run and finish 6th but who knows who will get it.  Killie got it this year, a feat put down to the quality of their manager.  Partick managed it the year before , a feat put down to what - their squad and manager maybe??  The same squad and manager that could still see then relegated 12 months later.  It will be fine margins at the bottom again and a good signing or a couple of injuries to key players could make all the difference.  I doubt that the prolific, proven striker will not be sitting on the shelf waiting on the call from Dundee FC.  The manager, the players and the BOD will get pelters as usual.  We will finish 8th maybe but without the wiinning, entertaining package that folk dream of, it will not be enough for some.

I can't wait.  Roll on July

Great post mate. I totally get where you're coming from.

I went for poor because I think we underachieved based on the players we have and the stated intention to entertain. 

Add in the constant tinkering of the starting 11 and formation and I think, while we had a fair enough season, that McCann himself was poor.

I didn't feel the same way about Hartley's first two seasons. We competed better on the park most weeks (with some ABSOLUTE howlers in there) and played football at a good pace and with much more intent. Hemmings and Stewart couldn't propel us to glory, but they got me out of my seat and excited when we had the ball. It took Craig Wighton to return from injury for that to happen this season.

Seriously workmanlike stuff at home (I appreciate that we were better away from home sometimes) and, in truth, there was some really poor fare where the players looked like they didn't care - or understand what they were being asked to do - and the management team seemed to have scuppered our chances before the games started.

I completely agree that we are not suddenly going to be winning leagues and going undefeated at home all season while playing total football, but the poll was about McCann and I think he was poor in a variety of ways this season.

22 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Mixed bag. Brought in some wonderful footballers, played some braw fitba. Made some bafflingly decisions consistently.

tells it like it is pulling up referees for their glaring God awfulness.

Certainly deserves more time in the hot seat. 

Completely respect that view but it highlights how diverse the opinions are from folk watching the same football week in week out. Which is, of course, half the fun of it.

He did bring in some good footballers, but brought in more poor ones. And for my taste we saw flashes of good football on one or two occasions and most weeks flattered to deceive. 

His comments about ref were cringeworthy, for me.

And he certainly does deserve more time in the hot seat. The BOD want top 6. I expected 10th, so for all my disengagement this season, in the end, he exceeded my expectations after I'd watched around a third of the season. To see what he's capable of he needs much more time.

2 hours ago, Spiritof62 said:

Sorry I can't sit back and let you put the blame at the supporters door, the same guys that have saved the club twice.

Yesterday we witnessed a total shambles, everything that was bad in football was there for all to see.

If your happy to sit and watch a team that cannot display the very basic skills required, then that's fine for you.

A lot of us object to paying high ticket prices for the privilege of watching anti football and feel entitled to voice our displeasure.

We need to let this "saved the club twice" stuff go. Its ancient history for starters and what else would we have done. It certainly doesn't mean anyone who goes to games gets carte blanche to shout whatever bile they feel like.

I went for 'mixed bag', some great signings, some not so great but even Fergie didn't get them all right, overall for me the good signings far outweigh the no so good ones. Tactically/formation wise, its been quite frustrating at times and he's another tinkerer that seems (to me) to over think things, maybe the arrogance of relative youth trying to outsmart the other manager but latterly he seems to have calmed down on that front and if he continues in the same vein next year I'll call that progress. From what I gather both the development have improved and scouting has been reinvigorated so we'll see what we get in the summer signings but last season was a pass going by our league position. I'm more positive than negative about NM although cautiously optimistic.

4 hours ago, Spiritof62 said:

Sorry I can't sit back and let you put the blame at the supporters door, the same guys that have saved the club twice.

Yesterday we witnessed a total shambles, everything that was bad in football was there for all to see.

If your happy to sit and watch a team that cannot display the very basic skills required, then that's fine for you.

A lot of us object to paying high ticket prices for the privilege of watching anti football and feel entitled to voice our displeasure.

The blame for what exactly? And yes you are entitled to voice your displeasure and I have to sit and listen to it. I don’t have to agree with it though. So criticise away mate if that’s what floats your boat. 

2 hours ago, Mev said:

The Bain situation is something that needs clarified.  I did feel Bain's performances had dipped a lot compared with previous seasons and if all that happened was that McCann told him to buck up his ideas and Bain threw a tantrum then I would back McCann all the way.  If that's the case then the laddie will probably also fall out with his new employers at some point.  If not then McCann's man management skills were sadly lacking in that particular situation.  If so then 0/10 for that one.  Then we have Caulker saying he feels McCann is the type of manager he feels will help him get his career back on track and signs for Dundee to the surprise of everyone and plays some great stuff,10/10 for man management with that one.

The development side of things seems to be paying dividends and McCann seems willing to give youth a chance if they are good enough 8/10 there. 

We played some great stuff at times during the season and lost a fair number of games we could have won but for some highly debatable refereeing decisions.  However, if you don't defend properly and can't put your chances away then you will always be fighting against relegation, 5/10 there.

Definitely a mixed bag for me. 

Interesting post (which means, good post) Mev .. I particularly like your comments & ratings on different scenarios.

2 hours ago, chomp my root said:

We need to let this "saved the club twice" stuff go. Its ancient history for starters and what else would we have done. It certainly doesn't mean anyone who goes to games gets carte blanche to shout whatever bile they feel like.

I went for 'mixed bag', some great signings, some not so great but even Fergie didn't get them all right, overall for me the good signings far outweigh the no so good ones. Tactically/formation wise, its been quite frustrating at times and he's another tinkerer that seems (to me) to over think things, maybe the arrogance of relative youth trying to outsmart the other manager but latterly he seems to have calmed down on that front and if he continues in the same vein next year I'll call that progress. From what I gather both the development have improved and scouting has been reinvigorated so we'll see what we get in the summer signings but last season was a pass going by our league position. I'm more positive than negative about NM although cautiously optimistic.

It just pees me off that after every bad performance some rocket on here will blame our fans.

12 hours ago, skullduggery said:

I think he may be regretting giving up the Sky gig in all honesty. Being the manager of Dundee is a thankless task. A proportion of our so called fans live in an alternative universe to myself. We managed to finish 9th with a game to spare, yet some still felt the need to vilify the manager and some of the players today. I sit in the Coxy so can only comment on what I hear in there, but some "supporters" really need to find something else to do, when we are at home, because they obviously are only there to criticise. We had an under strength team today and introduced a couple of development players, which I thought was the right thing to do, given that we were safe, but some were still not happy with that. I heard one guy behind me say, "get Deacon off he's f**cking shyte and bring El Bak on. El Bak comes on and within 5 mins he was criticising the substitution. TBH I'm chunt sick of some of the comments I hear from some of our fans. God knows what the players and management think.

8 minutes ago, Spiritof62 said:

It just pees me off that after every bad performance some rocket on here will blame our fans.

Not trying to be pedantic but he's not blaming 'the fans' but giving examples of stuff getting shouted that 'grinds his gears'. To be honest I can't be arsed with that stuff myself but each to their own, its one of those things that we'll never all agree on. Where I sit wasn't too bad yesterday but there were a few absentees, not sure there's much we can do about it, I dare say my clapping will seem inappropriate to some, its all part of football but we can have a moan about it, and we have on here in the past.

13 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

I dare say my clapping will seem inappropriate to some

I would never have thought chomp that you were the "gentle clapping kind"

And possibly tended towards (at times) to the more active/mental approach.

I would be interested to know ...What is you'r usual reaction to posts on here?

(After deciding I may be the more needy/sensitive kind, do not refer to mine):chaplin:

3 minutes ago, Gedee said:

I would never have thought chomp that you were the "gentle clapping kind"

And possibly tended towards (at times) to the more active/mental approach.

I would be interested to know ...What is you'r usual reaction to posts on here?

(After deciding I may be the more needy/sensitive kind, do not refer to mine):chaplin:

I'm full of the clap Gedee, my missus takes the p*ss for my loud clapping. ? 

4 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

I'm full of the clap Gedee, my missus takes the p*ss for my loud clapping. ? 

NAE MAIR ABOOT YIR GUID MISSUS & YOUR MEDICAL CONDITION ... (We are now going back on topic, as per guidelines)

Dinnae want these over-zealous mods (or posters) on my back chomp :)

Adblock Detected