Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Transfer and Rumour Mill Thread 2018-19

19 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Clubs sometimes do that when they're negotiating for players but are far apart in their valuations. I've long suspected that Ayr want to sell, that we are the only bidders and they're asking for more than we're willing to pay. The comments also suggest that Jones is asking for more than we want to pay.

It's all a big game imo.

Exactly this IMO although I don't think it's just Shankland.

From recent years, I think we've maybe had a reputation of being free spenders with beating rival clubs in this league to the likes of Hateley, Vincent, Williams and then comments made in the press by Yogi regarding the latter two. We've always carried a big squad and although the headlines for the accounts are never positive, there's generally feeling that we're spending more than the general bottom six of teams.

I know there's the whole marquee signing thing and we badly want a couple in but I do think we've got to end the severe wastage of money between the second half of Hartley's term and now ASAP. If we overinvest ourselves, we eventually won't be able to sign ourselves out of a whole with an extra couple of signings or a new management team if a crisis does arise again.

I think as well, it's really important that we have an appreciation of the risk factor involved in a new striker signing. Someone like Adam Rooney would be seen as a perfect ready-made player to slot into this side and has went to a team who have committed to a contract for £750k over three years. We simply can't afford to commit resources to someone like that and then Shankland is completely unproven at this level and we're already needing to put in a transfer fee of between £150-250k on top of wages. You could be spending £400k on someone overall who has a very very high risk factor of not succeeding (I know that's a negative way of looking on things but history does show that the step up is always tough).

None of this is a cheap and easy decision. I'm convinced someone will definitely come in but throwing money at this problem doesn't necessarily fix it and could, in fact, make it worse if it restricts us over the next few years.

• Like 6

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
1 hour ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Clubs sometimes do that when they're negotiating for players but are far apart in their valuations. I've long suspected that Ayr want to sell, that we are the only bidders and they're asking for more than we're willing to pay. The comments also suggest that Jones is asking for more than we want to pay.

It's all a big game imo.

It may all be a big game, but he's had 3 transfer windows now to sign a decent striker. Spent a transfer fee on a keeper we didn't need (IMO) when a striker should have been priority number 1.

Madness

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1

13 hours ago, WoodStein said:

Aye, but there were 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse  .....so are there another two in the wings about to make the move to the (almost) positive side? 

If this Positivity gets oot o' hand Wood' ...  I think I''ll go into "Negative Mode" to add a bit of balance :)

Two Games Played & Two Games Lost McCann OOT (That didnae work tae plan. I'm noo depressed) :tears:

2 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Honestly don't think that the Shankland deal is dead. There's still a couple of weeks of the window left and a few things that could kick things off. I still think he'll end up here.

1 hour ago, TheDarkBlues said:

I hope we bring someone in before then... hopefully Shankland or I could see him knocking us out with a couple of goals! ☹️

I don't think NM would try to sign Shankland in the week leading up to our LC game with them, and I suspect Ayr would see Shankland as their best chance to beat us, make more out of a qtr final game, and still sell Shankland before the window closes.

The gamble for Ayr is that if we knock them out, Shankland's market value may drop.....but they may be keener to sell him while he's still scoring.

2 hours ago, Dondeh said:

Maybe he is alluding to not having the type of funds needed to get Shankland?. (and Jones) 

Probably I am living on a Cloud of Illusion Dondeh ... But I really like the sound of that... (Mind it's a bit too much positivity to cope wi' in one day):chaplin:

2 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

It's all a big game imo.

He probably saw how desperate we are on Saturday and saw this as a bargaining tool negotiations in a ‘we need him more than he needs us’ kind of way!!!

Just now, Sebastiano Nela said:

Or maybe he thought he'd be burying some of the chances that our current strikers missed

I’d like to think so! Even I thought I’d have hit the target on at least one of them and I’m a middle aged, over weight, crap footballer! 

1 hour ago, Gedee said:

Probably I am living on a Cloud of Illusion Dondeh ... But I really like the sound of that... (Mind it's a bit too much positivity to cope wi' in one day):chaplin:

Alternatively it could be NM will have  to sell Caulker  or Kamara to get a strker or two in?. 

Adblock Detected