The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Derry Drummer

Holt and O'Hara

Rate this topic

Both signed pre contact with St Mirren.

OK players on their day but I'm confident McCann will find better replacements this summer.  Onwards and upwards!

• Like 2

Leftbacks seem a rear breed so might not be as easy as many folk think. 

• Like 5

Pleased with that. They have both failed to reach the standard we need if we are to make significant progress next season. I’m sure we can get better and more importantly consistent replacements.

• Like 1

Bit surprised about that especially O’Hara seems backward step 

• Like 1

Both have been in/out of the squad a few times, having been regulars last season, so they may well have decided they didn't see themselves improving their position with NM. We also don't know what was 'on the table' from NM.

There's also - potentially - a more practical factor, that both are west coast lads & can save themselves 3-4 hours commuting time every day. I think many of us would be tempted to change employers in those circumstances, if they were getting similar terms.

Good luck to both of them, if they have signed a PCA, they've both had some memorable games for us.

• Like 1

Most people, I’d imagine, would be happy with that. 

Be interesting if Ross leaves for Ipswich, and the new manager doesn’t fancy them. 

Mark O'Hara now has next to no teeth, he'll fit right in in Paisley.

• Funny 9

18 minutes ago, Valentke said:

Leftbacks seem a rear breed so might not be as easy as many folk think. 

I think McCann would have done more to keep them if he thought he couldn't get better replacements. If NM plays 352 next season then the wing backs are really important as need to be good defending and going forward. If he can identify quality wing backs then that will go along way to resolving our lack of width/balance/creativity/pace. Holt has been decent recently but he is too inconsistent. O'Hara has too many weaknesses to be good consistently for us, but both are good signings for a newly promoted team. 

• Like 2

O'Hara is a bit of a luxury player, can't tackle, goes missing and no heart.

O Hara family from paisley I believe so good move for him. Holt not bad either but we want better. 

Both no bad players IMO. But if NM is willing to let them go and believes he can replace them with better but tbh I would like to think he has someone lined up already.  Then I'm happy for them to go. But if this backfires and we struggle to find players to fill the gaps it's a massive step backwards and we will be back playing that famous largs set up "square pegs round holes"

The thing I don’t get is if they are moving to be nearer home then it shows lack of ambition from both players, what would they do I’d Barcelona wanted to sign them, footballers need to be prepared to move wherever there skills take them ?

Neither is a NM signing and I think Holt has been away for some time but a wee bit surprised at O'Hara.  However not fussed about either tbh as neither was what I would ever called consistent.  I along with others want us to kick on so if NM has better lined up they should not be missed.  If this is true, sincere good wishes for the future to both of them and thanks for their efforts.

11 minutes ago, gblue said:

The thing I don’t get is if they are moving to be nearer home then it shows lack of ambition from both players, what would they do I’d Barcelona wanted to sign them, footballers need to be prepared to move wherever there skills take them ?

Totally agree with you mate. Surely if you sign for a team you should move to the area. Makes no sense commuting long distances

It is ashame to see them move on, however that is football for you. I do think O'Hara and Holt have the makings of a good player, however consistency does seem to be an issue for both. I would imagine that McCann has replacements lined up and hopefully there will be some movement in the near future.

12 minutes ago, gblue said:

Think it’s a bit different at our level. Imagine they are getting decent enough contracts and saving a sh*t load of travelling time. 

The days of clubs expecting players to live a certain amount of miles from stadium are long gone. 

Good luck to both but don’t particularly think we will miss them as bar the odd game they were both average at best.

Holt overall has been a big disappointment for me. Look at cracking payer at Qos but for me hasn’t made the step up. 

5 minutes ago, SpiderDee1893 said:

Totally agree with you mate. Surely if you sign for a team you should move to the area. Makes no sense commuting long distances

Don’t particularly agree with this as often we offer players 1-2 year contracts and think it’s unfair to expect boys to up root family etc when it can be fairly short term. 

1 hour ago, Derry Drummer said:

Both signed pre contact with St Mirren.

Not according to Mark O’Haras dad.. 

Holt - don’t know.

O’Hara - Hasn’t signed a PCA with St Mirren.