Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Dees V Cologne 1961

Sitting in a market place with David Mcintosh, former dundee player in a crumby little bar in Thailand, and a couple come in and sit at the  next table to us, had a little chat with them with their pigeon Scottish, I asked where they were from and they said cologne, then I told the guy we hammered your team 8-1, or words to that effect, he was born in 1953 so he knew what I was talking about, then he said his team was borousia munchengladbach, as cologne were crap now, I said cologne were favourites for the European cup that year and the dees well and truly gubbed  you, or similar Scottish words, it felt great just telling the guy the story, obviously with having a few beers 🍺 it was repeated a few times, he took in good humour, 

just thought I would share it with the forum 😎 

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Was reading about the away tie the other day. Alan Cousin was talking about how intimidating it was to play at the Mungersdorfer Stadion.

“The German fans were standing all around the pitch. One of them tripped Gordon [Smith] once when he was running down the wing!”

I had the pleasure of meeting Bobby Seith at the Paddy Barclay/Matt Busby book launch at the Malmaison a couple of months ago.I asked him what were his feelings at the crowd lining the pitch.His reply was to the effect that Dundee were a team of consummate professionals and they just got on with it.They were encouraged by the Scots voices among the crowd(BAOR had turned out) but it had got a bit dodgy at the end and it was the Army boys who protected them off the pitch.They refused to attend the post match dinner and went straight for their flight home.

My own recollection of that evening watching highlights on TV without knowing the score was one of sheer terror that as they kicked Bert Slater on the head ,Andy Penman bravely in goal ,the goals rained in 4-0 and they got a penalty with a fair bit of time to go.The boy blasted it off the crossbar so hard it rebounded to near the half way line and suddenly to huge relief all over Dundee it cut back to the studio 'Well that's how it ended 4-0 and Dundee progress to the next round

A few years later I met a supporter of Bonn who are Colognes great rivals and he was fair chuffed to meet a Dundee supporter and even wear my scarf as we strolled around the central square of Cologne.

There’s a bar in Alicante where ‘mine host’ is a Cologne mad nutjob, it’s down some side street close to the centre.

The beer is excellent, schnapps was flowing etc and the whole bar was a shrine to them with the gantry and walls covered in photos, old strips, pennants, scarfs and even the beer taps had Cologne Ultra stickers. The loo was all graffitied up and it was there I left a beautifully drawn Dundee FC crest with 8-1 1962 below. 

Was well proud of it, still am.

To be honest I have only read above Dundee’s great European Cup exploits but was present when the Mighty Dee beat Cologne in the UEFA Cup in what was my best ever game. What a night !!! Dens was electric when we came from 2-1 down from the first leg and 2-1 down on the night.

19 minutes ago, Neil Cameron said:

To be honest I have only read above Dundee’s great European Cup exploits but was present when the Mighty Dee beat Cologne in the UEFA Cup in what was my best ever game. What a night !!! Dens was electric when we came from 2-1 down from the first leg and 2-1 down on the night.

I think we scored 3 in the last 20 minutes to win 5-4 on aggregate.Crowd went totally berserk.

I was on a school trip to Holland and Belgium the summer of 1976. We ended the trip in Ostend and we went down to have a look at the beach on the first evening. There was a group of German school kids (mostly older than us ) having a kick about and we ended up playing them. When we found out that they were from Cologne we gave them pelters about knocking them out of Europe twice. It's fair to say that our wee 'friendly' on the beach ended up like world war 3 with no quarter asked or given. We beat them by the way 😂

Adblock Detected