Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Current Heatwave On Islay

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Beautiful views Islay ...

Get the spare room made up, I'm on my way  😀

Hi Gnasher,

The views are wonderful but when it is raining we cannot see across Lochindaal.

The past winter was particularly wet and very cold and the plants in our garden are at least one month behind.

Normally at the week of the Feis Ile the border next to our front wall is ablaze with Red Hot Pokers but this year they are nowhere to be seen. Visitors walking past our house often stop to take photographs of the Red Hot Pokers in our garden.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Yesterday (Wednesday) was another scorchingly hot and sunny day on Islay.

All the visitors currently on Islay for the Feis Ile will be thinking that the weather this week is the norm.

Little do they know that last winter was the coldest for many years and the plants in my garden are at least one month late in appearing. 

It is not every day that a sailing ship passes in front of your garden but that is what has just happened today. 

The UK registered sailing ship the TS Royalist has just sailed past our house on route to Bruichladdich pier. 

I have taken a couple of photographs and I will ask John if he can post them on this topic.

Thanks to the current heatwave there is now a water shortage on Islay. Properties who have their own private water supply are running out of water and a couple of days ago I heard of a property that whose main private supply had dried up. Fortunately they also have a borehole which they are using for washing and cooking.

Rain is forecast for Wednesday evening but it will take a lot more rain to replenish all the water supplies up to their normal level for both private properties and Scottish Water on Islay.

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Islay's not the only place having a drought, Lewis has just gone 22 days without a drop of rain.  ☀️

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-44437551

Hi Gnasher.

Thank you for the above article about Lewis.

The Inner and Outer Hebrides are used to having spells of rain arriving from the Atlantic Ocean and when they get a prolonged spell of easterly winds they get no rain.

Things will sort themselves out. About seven years ago I remember returning to Islay at the end of June after a holiday in Dundee. There had been a drought on Islay and the grass was burnt brown. 

Several days later it rained and within a fortnight the grass was back to its normal green colour. 

14 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

Hi Gnasher.

Thank you for the above article about Lewis.

The Inner and Outer Hebrides are used to having spells of rain arriving from the Atlantic Ocean and when they get a prolonged spell of easterly winds they get no rain.

Things will sort themselves out. About seven years ago I remember returning to Islay at the end of June after a holiday in Dundee. There had been a drought on Islay and the grass was burnt brown. 

Several days later it rained and within a fortnight the grass was back to its normal green colour. 

Its forecast to get wet and wild tomorrow. The distilleries will be happy

1 hour ago, Sebastiano Nela said:

Its forecast to get wet and wild tomorrow. The distilleries will be happy

The tourists will not be happy.

Yesterday I was looking at the weather forecast and I would not be surprised if the 7am sailing from Kennacraig to Port Ellen this Thursday diverts to Port Askaig or is storm bound.

Adblock Detected