Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Sporting Clube De Portugal

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
56 minutes ago, andrak said:

Well, Cobra, we had a chance to leave this alone. But it's the close season, and you're probably suffering from the same withdrawal symptoms that I am, so hear goes.

I'm not sure what your point is about it being a translation. Anyway, the word Lisbon doesn't feature anywhere in it's name. It's apparently grandiose name probably stems from it being favoured by the Portuguese King when it was founded in the early 1900s.

The club runs teams in a large number of sports, not just football, though the football team may be the most famous.

The translation is pretty straight forward, the only word that is not an obvious translation is 'de' which means 'of' in this context.

See what has happened now. We have gone off down a rabbit hole that not even Geedee's long johns or an Islay rant about Calmac can get us out of. The season can't come around again quickly enough.

Glad to see that even living in ‘darkest’ East Sussex you still read my posts about Calmac. 

25 minutes ago, andrak said:

I think Cobra and I are headed for a secure unit as well.........

Weel Harold with the now, new circumstances, there is that vacant bed beside me in this Ward.

But on balance, being too near me & my imaginary friends you'd get more peace in Secure Unit.

19 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

So, when you starting your quizzes.............. just before you head off to that secure place?

;)

Eh hate these quizzes ... They are a constant reminder of how daft eh really am :tears:

10 minutes ago, andrak said:

They reach far further than East Sussex, my friend. I'm in Vientiane, Laos right now. It's the talk of the Tuk Tuk drivers........ or at least it would be if they knew what Calmac was.

Maybe it is time for Islay to expand his world...

It's time the rest o' the world knew aboot Islay.

Dark Secrets & Strange Ways will be revealed.

1 hour ago, andrak said:

Well, Cobra, we had a chance to leave this alone. But it's the close season, and you're probably suffering from the same withdrawal symptoms that I am, so hear goes.

I'm not sure what your point is about it being a translation. Anyway, the word Lisbon doesn't feature anywhere in it's name. It's apparently grandiose name probably stems from it being favoured by the Portuguese King when it was founded in the early 1900s.

The club runs teams in a large number of sports, not just football, though the football team may be the most famous.

The translation is pretty straight forward, the only word that is not an obvious translation is 'de' which means 'of' in this context.

See what has happened now. We have gone off down a rabbit hole that not even Geedee's long johns or an Islay rant about Calmac can get us out of. The season can't come around again quickly enough.

Andrak, if you were to get a job at the BBC you'd have no option but to refer to them as Sporting Lisbon as that's what the style guide says. I think all newspapers and broadcasters are in agreement that Sporting Lisbon is the English name for the team.

"Of Portugal" is an odd naming convention for us so we say Sporting Lisbon like Sporting Gijon. I don't think it's wrong. It's just the way we like to do it.

18 minutes ago, andrak said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, the BBC or all newspapers. I'm sure they are fully aware they are wrong anyway. I'm happy to stand alone in pedants corner on this one. You'll never take me alive......

Tell them all to sod de mate

• 1 month later...

This bonkers club continues to amuse. They sacked their new manager, Sinisa Mihajlovic, a couple of weeks back after nine days in the job. The club said he had to go because he apparently wanted to change their pre-season schedule.

And today it emerged that the club have been paying half a million euros annually to social media companies, blogs and fake accounts to control and alter public opinion in their favour. 

Adblock Detected