Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Anyone Flown To the Us Recently?

Cobra

I'm supposed to be going on Monday morning and just found out about this ESTA thing you need to apply for ideally 72 hours before you fly out.

Anyone know if this is a big problem if it doesn't get approved before I fly?

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Last time I did one was a couple of years ago, but it was approved online almost immediately, I think. You need one, so you'll just have to keep your 🤞, and hope the immigration people haven't stumbled on the TDB forum :)  

My experiences of US immigration control have been very mixed, and when they want to be obstructive, they seem to be world champs at it.....so make a wish as you land, that no-one's just upset them before you hand over your documents!

You've seen the Tom Hanks film "The Terminal", I suppose? :P  

10 hours ago, Cobra said:

Thanks WS. The only day you can fly direct is Monday so hopefully it gets resolved tomorrow.

Maybe call the US consulate and ask? I'd imagine in the 21st century, it'll hopefully just be a bit of database processing and hopefully be instant.

Out of interest - what time are you flying and what airport is it out of on Monday? I think it may be a bit early for it but I believe that in the future (or maybe now, I don't know if it's ready or not yet), you'll have US immigration staff at Edinburgh Airport so do the clearance at this side rather than over there.

37 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Maybe call the US consulate and ask? I'd imagine in the 21st century, it'll hopefully just be a bit of database processing and hopefully be instant.

Out of interest - what time are you flying and what airport is it out of on Monday? I think it may be a bit early for it but I believe that in the future (or maybe now, I don't know if it's ready or not yet), you'll have US immigration staff at Edinburgh Airport so do the clearance at this side rather than over there.

After a sleepless night I found the ESTA in my inbox this morning.

Thanks for the info. I fly from Glasgow mid-morning.

3 hours ago, Cobra said:

After a sleepless night I found the ESTA in my inbox this morning.

Thanks for the info. I fly from Glasgow mid-morning.

Are you going to be on a secret 'scouting' mission to find any decent players for NM while you're over there, then, Cobra?  

....or will you be scouting a different kind of talent in the bars, instead? 🍻  

Have a good break, you'll maybe be on a similar timezone to HK, so we'll be  look for some early morning topics to debate.

17 hours ago, Cobra said:

I'm supposed to be going on Monday morning and just found out about this ESTA thing you need to apply for ideally 72 hours before you fly out.

Anyone know if this is a big problem if it doesn't get approved before I fly?

Just seen this. Looks like you're good to go.

My response would have been ...you absolutely need to get one. Also, my experience is that security and immigration has tightened up since Trump became POTUS.  Last year flying American from Heathrow to Philly took me over an hour to get from Terminal 5 to Terminal 2 which is a 10 min bus transfer  (problem was 'immigration' where there were long queues and many questions being asked).

I flew to the US in 2000. I remember being interrogated over whether I was carrying illegal vegetables. They gave me a really tough time at customs.

Oddly though, security was unbelievably lax on internal flights. I flew Chicago to Portland and didn’t have to have my bag checked. It wasn’t long after that some disturbed individuals took advantage.

Adblock Detected