Jump to content

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Standard of Football - Decade By Decade


Recommended Posts

Was watching the BBC program about Scotland's ill-fated trip to Argentina for 78 World Cup last night. From watching some of the highlights clips it made me think how does the standard of football from back then compare to now.

Anytime I watch clips from games going back 40/50 years from supposedly great teams, my initial thought is always the standard is really poor. Is that because of things like the state of the pitches and weight of the ball or is it that decade on decade the standard of player has improved considerably.

All you ever hear is that the SPL for example is so much poorer than it was in the old days. My impression is that an average SPL team of today (with all the improvements in tactics, nutrition, fitness etc.) would beat the best teams of decades ago.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
3 hours ago, Edin_Dee said:

Was watching the BBC program about Scotland's ill-fated trip to Argentina for 78 World Cup last night. From watching some of the highlights clips it made me think how does the standard of football from back then compare to now.

Anytime I watch clips from games going back 40/50 years from supposedly great teams, my initial thought is always the standard is really poor. Is that because of things like the state of the pitches and weight of the ball or is it that decade on decade the standard of player has improved considerably.

All you ever hear is that the SPL for example is so much poorer than it was in the old days. My impression is that an average SPL team of today (with all the improvements in tactics, nutrition, fitness etc.) would beat the best teams of decades ago.  

 

Tbh with you I think it's the other way. The standard of play has decreased decade on decade.

For example if you put the 62 title winning team into today's world - tactics, fitness etc - they would wipe the floor with any team from the last 10 years. 

Obviously today's players are more professional but that means nothing after watching another boring game.

When I'm comparing teams from different eras I always take fitness out of the equation as it's an unfair advantage for the more recent team. 

Iv not seen it for a while but I'm sure some of the defending in the famous Real Madrid v Frankfurt final is laughable. Still a great team though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, steven dee said:

Tbh with you I think it's the other way. The standard of play has decreased decade on decade.

For example if you put the 62 title winning team into today's world - tactics, fitness etc - they would wipe the floor with any team from the last 10 years. 

Obviously today's players are more professional but that means nothing after watching another boring game.

When I'm comparing teams from different eras I always take fitness out of the equation as it's an unfair advantage for the more recent team. 

Iv not seen it for a while but I'm sure some of the defending in the famous Real Madrid v Frankfurt final is laughable. Still a great team though. 

Watching the league winning team as a kid is the reason I,ve been a Dee all my life, but that team wouldn’t last 5 minutes in today’s SPL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That was a great programme. Brings back lots of memories good and bad. The good was beating England at Wembley in the Home Internationals and qualifying for Argentina at Anfield. The bad .....was bad. Link here:-

  https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b4fx2q/scotland-78-a-love-story?suggid=b0b4fx2q

The Scotland squad that lined up in the first game against Peru would give the current squad 5, I reckon.

SCOTLAND:
   
GK 1 Alan Rough
DF 4 Martin Buchan
DF 13 Stuart Kennedy
DF 14 Tom Forsyth
DF 22 Kenny Burns
MF 6 Bruce Rioch (c)   Substituted off 75'
MF 7 Don Masson   Substituted off 75'
MF 10 Asa Hartford
MF 11 Willie Johnston
FW 8 Kenny Dalglish
FW 9 Joe Jordan
Substitutes:
DF 2 Sandy Jardine
MF 15 Archie Gemmill   Substituted in 75'
MF 16 Lou Macari   Substituted in 75'
FW 19 John Robertson
GK 20

Bobby Clark

 

And this was the team that beat Holland:-

GK 1 Alan Rough
DF 3 Willie Donachie
DF 4 Martin Buchan
DF 13 Stuart Kennedy
DF 14 Tom Forsyth
MF 5 Bruce Rioch
MF 8 Kenny Dalglish
MF 10 Asa Hartford
MF 15 Archie Gemmill YC 35'
MF 18 Graeme Souness
FW 9 Joe Jordan
Edited by Dondeh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Derekgow said:

Watching the league winning team as a kid is the reason I,ve been a Dee all my life, but that team wouldn’t last 5 minutes in today’s SPL.

If they were playing in today's SPL then they would be as fit as all the other teams. 

They would stroll the league. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, steven dee said:

If they were playing in today's SPL then they would be as fit as all the other teams. 

They would stroll the league. 

If they were playing in today’s SPL it would be an absolute miracle. :lol2:

I guess it,s a pointless argument really, like the who,s the best boxer debates, Ali or Marciano, we will never know. :happyno:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Derekgow said:

Watching the league winning team as a kid is the reason I,ve been a Dee all my life, but that team wouldn’t last 5 minutes in today’s SPL.

 

53 minutes ago, steven dee said:

If they were playing in today's SPL then they would be as fit as all the other teams. 

They would stroll the league. 

Impossible to tell either way.. 

Different game completely nowadays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my opinion the players in the teams up to and including the 1970’s were allowed to play with flair whereas nowadays the players are coached too much resulting in boring football.

In the past there used to be large wins for the top international football teams playing the “minnows” but nowadays this rarely happens as the players in the “minnow” teams are much better organised playing damage limitation football.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The great Brazil side of 1970 introduced a back 4 and a formation basically 4-2-3-1which is pretty close to what we get served up in Scotland 50 years later but how then do we have an idiot in charge of our Toulon tournament who advocates the kick and rush of Scotland pre 1961-62,admittedly we were 2-3-5 formation because no-one had ever thought beyond that but we did play the ball out in a studied fashion,the Italians were introducing cattenaccio at that time and soon 4-2-4 then 4-4-2 were in fashion now its 4-2-3-1-or something like it.Hard to compare generations but was there ever a team like Brazil 1970 and was there ever a better goal than Alberto's in the final.?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Anderlecht manager apparently said Dundee were better than Real Madrid in 1963. Bob Crampsey said we were the best team Scotland ever produced. If we were (arguably) the best side on the planet for a short time that's something we should celebrate.

I don't really see any point in comparing teams from 60 years ago to teams nowadays who have better fitness, nutrition, pitches, equipment etc. 

I'm guessing Alan Gilzean would have been even better with modern boots and diets and whatever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Cobra said:

The Anderlecht manager apparently said Dundee were better than Real Madrid in 1963. Bob Crampsey said we were the best team Scotland ever produced. If we were (arguably) the best side on the planet for a short time that's something we should celebrate.

I don't really see any point in comparing teams from 60 years ago to teams nowadays who have better fitness, nutrition, pitches, equipment etc. 

Very much agree.Also technology helps analysis/tactics

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...