Jump to content
The Dark Blues
AmericanOglesbee

New Member: Americanoglesbee

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I'm probably a bit of an oddball here. It's been a couple hundred years since the Oglesbees I'm descended from left Scotland and came to the U.S., and as best we can tell, they likely came from the East/NorthEast portion of the country. My youngest son (age 7) has latched onto soccer (he seems to have the "it" according to my friends who are coaches and former high school/college players) and I wanted to find a European team for us to follow together. I thought it would be great to pick a team in Scotland. I loathe sports fans who gravitate to front-runners when they come into a sport – there was no way I was going with Celtic. And then I found you all. We are looking forward to learning about Dundee FC and rooting for them from across the Atlantic.

Cheers,

Eric

  • Like 2
  • Star Post 1

Share this post


Link to post

Weel first thing first Freend ...Your opening comment has told me all I wish to know ... "I'm probably a bit of an oddball here"

If that's the case, you've certainly landed on the right forum here...Plenty Odd balls Here. But we're mighty friendly as weel:chaplin:

Big Warm Cheery Welcome to yourself & son. Hope we can live up to your expectations...No jist  fitba front, but everyway:welcome:

Share this post


Link to post

Welcome to the forum Eric, and your son, hope it all goes well for him. If you've had a nose around the forum you'll see we don't quite stick to just football so feel free to chip in with whatever notions happen to be floating round your noggin. Hope you enjoy the forum mate.

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, AmericanOglesbee said:

Hi all,

I'm probably a bit of an oddball here. It's been a couple hundred years since the Oglesbees I'm descended from left Scotland and came to the U.S., and as best we can tell, they likely came from the East/NorthEast portion of the country. My youngest son (age 7) has latched onto soccer (he seems to have the "it" according to my friends who are coaches and former high school/college players) and I wanted to find a European team for us to follow together. I thought it would be great to pick a team in Scotland. I loathe sports fans who gravitate to front-runners when they come into a sport – there was no way I was going with Celtic. And then I found you all. We are looking forward to learning about Dundee FC and rooting for them from across the Atlantic.

Cheers,

Eric

Welcome to the DarkBlues and the Mighty Dee :)

One thing you will learn following the Dee, we don't always have it easy and be prepared to be let down now and then, but when we do the impossible (which we have done a fair few times), be prepared to be 'Derried oot yir nut!'.

You might already know, but our Chairman and Owners' are from your side of the pond, Austin Texas and if you happen to live in that area, they have a youth setup there for young footballers.

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/dundee-to-bring-over-very-good-footballers-from-us-to-train/

Good luck to your son with his 'footballing' career, and any questions please feel free to ask away!  :)

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks!

The Mighty Dee sounds like my kind of team. My college American football team – the Indiana Hoosiers – is historically one of the worst in the country, but every now and then they surprise the big boys. For me, my enjoyment of sports comes from the whole journey: hope, despair, and redemptive joy.

I didn't realize your club was owned by U.S.-based folks. I'm pretty far away from Austin though. I'm up in South Bend, Indiana (home of University of Notre Dame) near one of the Great Lakes (Lake Michigan).

I haven't started researching ways to stream games online, so if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. :)

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, chomp my root said:

Welcome to the forum Eric, and your son, hope it all goes well for him. If you've had a nose around the forum you'll see we don't quite stick to just football so feel free to chip in with whatever notions happen to be floating round your noggin. Hope you enjoy the forum mate.

Sounds great. From what I've seen so far, this seems like a great forum.

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, AmericanOglesbee said:

I didn't realize your club was owned by U.S.-based folks. I'm pretty far away from Austin though. I'm up in South Bend, Indiana (home of University of Notre Dame) near one of the Great Lakes (Lake Michigan).

Yeah just a bit far to take in a training session :)

I see that you are next to Chicago.... so you will be used the cold winter nights as well then :)

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Yeah just a bit far to take in a training session :)

I see that you are next to Chicago.... so you will be used the cold winter nights as well then :)

Indeed. Cold winter nights in our area = whiskey and the occasional pipe for coping.

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Yeah just a bit far to take in a training session

I see that you are next to Chicago.... so you will be used the cold winter nights as well then

If Eric wears his Long-Johns, he will be jist fine.

Sounds like...chatty inteligent fun loving chappy.

Eric this is the standard, we are aiming for here.

Yir first responses from the cream of the crop :wacko:

 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Gedee said:

If Eric wears his Long-Johns, he will be jist fine.

Sounds like...chatty inteligent fun loving chappy.

Eric this is the standard, we are aiming for here.

Yir first responses from the cream of the crop

 

Long-johns. Pshaw. :)

This is how I roll (See photo - note the use of snow for a spatula holder while grilling; not shown: beer glass being chilled in a separate pile of snow).

11000435_10105389018954679_5016912853703800711_o.jpg

Edited by AmericanOglesbee
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.