Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Hartley Has No Regrets Over Turning Down Cardiff Job

Cobra

From the Herald...

Dundee boss Paul Hartley has revealed why he turned down the chance to go to Cardiff City - and insists he has no regrets.

The former Celtic and Scotland midfielder was linked with a move to the Bluebirds last September but has admitted he felt it wasn't the right time for him to leave Dens Park.

Hartley, whose side are looking to cause another upset when they take on Celtic in Saturday's televised Scottish Cup fifth round tie at Dens Park, believes there was too much going on in the background at turbulent Cardiff that wouldn't have made his job easy had he left Tayside in favour of a move to the English outfit.

He said: "I know some people say you were stupid not to go down there but I don't see it that way.

"I feel I am still learning as a manager.

"There is still a long way to go and I am only in my fourth year in my management career.

"I want to try and build this club and make it successful.

"I think there was a lot of stuff going on at Cardiff that wouldn't have made the job entirely mine in terms of decision-making so I just felt it wasn't for me.

"I feel that I am my own person and I like to have the final say in things."

Hartley, who won successive Scottish Cup medals with Hearts and Celtic in 2006 and 2007, knows the odds will be against his side in this weekend's lunchtime clash but has firm faith in his Dark Blues.

He said: "I think I've got a job to do here at Dundee.

"I enjoy my work. I work with a good group and a good board.

"I have got an excellent coaching staff and playing staff - there is unfinished business here."

Dundee defeated Aberdeen in the last round of the Scottish Cup and would love to see his team grab the headlines again.

Hartley said: "I love the Scottish Cup as a manager and I loved it as player.

"You want to have a cup run. It's your best chance of silverware in Scotland and we want to give it our best shot.

"We've come through a hard tie against Aberdeen and we've got another difficult game against Celtic but we are at home so we have got to go out there and play at our best and see where it takes us.

"They have a squad of 17 or 18 players who are all quality and we have got to play well, concentrate and keep our discipline.

"When we get the ball we've got to make sure we do something with it. Then we will see it takes us."

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Adblock Detected