The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Ricky Spanish

Legend: Gillie

Rate this topic

The club have announced that Alan Gilzean has sadly passed away 😭 

RIP Legend

Edited by Ricky Spanish

Sad news, the man was a living legend to all of us who were fortunate to see him play for The Dee - I suspect I’ve yet to see any Dundee player score as many goals as I saw from Gillie (though Jocky would be close, maybe), but it wasn’t just his goals...he was invlolved from halfway line to goal-line in so many flowing moves. The away wins at Ibrox (5-1) & Anderlecht (4-1) are always worthy reminders of what we once had....glimpses of genius.

A very humble gentleman of the game, and I look forward to reading (esp from Paddy Barclay & Alan Patullo) some glowing & fitting obituaries....as well as our own DFC tributes from Kenny Ross & the rest of our media guys. 

Having also earned similar status with Spurs, I’d anticipate quite a bit of time being given to this sad occasion, even in the midst of WC fever.

• Like 6

A sad day indeed- A club LEGEND  and one of my late fathers favourite players!!! From the clips ive seen he looked lethal in the attack!!

I hope there will be some sort of permanent tribute as even though he played before my time I grew up knowing too well what contribution this man made to Dundee FC!

Condolences to all his family and friends.

• Like 3

Was lucky enough to see him play for Dundee although far too young to remember anything about it.  A fabulous player, for us , Spurs  (and others) and Scotland. Must be up there as one of, if not the, greatest footballer ever to play for either Dundee club. Would be interesting to know who the fantasists would claim to be up there with him. He  continued to be a fantastic ambassador for Dundee Football Club until his sad passing. A true legend.

• Like 3

If there was just one player I could go back in time and see it would be Alan Gilzean. Dundee's greatest ever player imo.

Rip Gillie 😓

• Like 1

That’s awful news. The title legend is given too freely these days, but he was definitely worthy of it.

R.I.P. Gillie. Condolences you your family and friends.

A privilege to see him play for us. Also saw him score the only goal v England in a crowd of 133, 000 at Hampden. Hammy, Greig, McNeiil, Baxter, Law and the famous John White, who was killed by lightning aged 27. They had  Banks, Norman, Moore, B Charlton etc.

• Like 3

Very sad, news ....

Although never spoke to him, or met him, I did see a lot of him play, in the famous Dark Blue and All white Strip of DFC.

And although A Big Star amongst a Team Of Stars, he probably was, as I recall ... One of the Brightest & Most Humble.

In my teens, used to do a bit trout fishing in the Isla & Ericht, around Blairgowrie, Meigle, Alyth & Coupar Angus. At that time, no being able to drive & money tight, I took the Alexander Bus, which went through all the places mentioned ... It's strange how fitba thoughts, connects to personal memories ... As I said I never knew or met Alan Gilzean. But I kinda feel a warmth and glow, that a small place like Coupar Angus (even much smaller at that time), could produce, not only a football player that would go on to be a real star & legend ...

But someone who had the Best Decent Qualities of a Real Gentleman. Thoughts are with his family & many close friends. Sad times for all of us.

• Like 3

Watched him at Dens and sometimes away from home.The best header of a ball I ever saw.

Great memories - one that sticks with me was a header against Forfar at Station Park in either a friendly or a Forfarshire cup tie..

Gillie lands and his momentum takes him to about three meters from the keeper.Its a goal.The keeper and Gillie make eye contact.Gillie stands still turns his palms to the sky shrugs his shoulders and turns away.Classic stuff that we replayed in the street and on the park.He was brilliant..

A sad day.for family and friends.

• Like 1

My Uncle took me to my first away match to Ibrox in 1961. Dundee won 5-1 and Gillie scored 4 of them. I can remember sitting in the stand and could hardly see for the fog. If i recall correctly, some buses turned back due to the fog. Someone may remember. Being a wee boy I didn't realise the significance of the result and just thought these things happened !! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Born is the King of WHL said:

Hi Spurs fan here.

Just wanted to come on and offer my condolences to a Dundee and Spurs legend and thank you for producing such a magnificent player.

I was privileged enough to have seen the magnificent Gilly play live and on TV in the early 1970s an on DVDs of our cup finals and league matches of the era. The partnerships he had with Greaves and subsequently Chivers were an absolute joy to behold and there can't have ever been many better headers of a ball in football.

We used to sing 'Gilzean, Gilzean...born is the King of White Hart Lane' and he earned and deserved that accolade. The song was subsequently given to Hoddle. Good company. 

Gilly largely kept to himself in recent years but was thankfully brought back into the Spurs family few seasons back to do corporate and hospitality work for the club. He was treated and thought of like a king and older fans loved his on pitch half time interviews. 

A great Scot in a long list of great Scots to play for Tottenham.

Good luck for the new season. Hope it goes well for you.

Very kind tribute from you Sir. Thank you. Due to Bill Brown, Gilzean and John Duncan going South all those years ago, Spurs have always been my favourite English team and the team I always watch on TV. I've never managed to see them in the flesh, I'll maybe make a point of it in the new stadium. Good luck to you too next season. Would love to see you win the title.

• Like 3

Had the absolute privilege of meeting Gillie with my eldest son less than 2yrs ago and I can’t over emphasise the word privilege.

Absolute gent of a man, extremely humble and seemed to just enjoy being in the company of fans who idolised him, including many like myself and my young lad who never had the opportunity to see him play. 

I now have one heartbroken 16yr old son who was very upset earlier today when I broke the sad news to him. However, he’s so proud to have met the great man and now has a prized photo of them both to remind him of the time “Eh met Gillie.” 

• Love 2

19 minutes ago, Born is the King of WHL said:

Hi Spurs fan here.

Just wanted to come on and offer my condolences to a Dundee and Spurs legend and thank you for producing such a magnificent player.

I was privileged enough to have seen the magnificent Gilly play live and on TV in the early 1970s an on DVDs of our cup finals and league matches of the era. The partnerships he had with Greaves and subsequently Chivers were an absolute joy to behold and there can't have ever been many better headers of a ball in football.

We used to sing 'Gilzean, Gilzean...born is the King of White Hart Lane' and he earned and deserved that accolade. The song was subsequently given to Hoddle. Good company. 

Gilly largely kept to himself in recent years but was thankfully brought back into the Spurs family few seasons back to do corporate and hospitality work for the club. He was treated and thought of like a king and older fans loved his on pitch half time interviews. 

A great Scot in a long list of great Scots to play for Tottenham.

Good luck for the new season. Hope it goes well for you.

That's a wonderful post and much appreciated!!-My late father did National Service with a guy who was a Spurs fan and they remained friends ever after and many a time when they met up  here in Dundee they always discussed their shared legend- Alan Gilzean!

Great memories!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Had the absolute privilege of meeting Gillie with my eldest son less than 2yrs ago and I can’t over emphasise the word privilege.

Absolute gent of a man, extremely humble and seemed to just enjoy being in the company of fans who idolised him, including many like myself and my young lad who never had the opportunity to see him play. 

I now have one heartbroken 16yr old son who was very upset earlier today when I broke the sad news to him. However, he’s so proud to have met the great man and now has a prized photo of them both to remind him of the time “Eh met Gillie.” 

Wasn't there a fanzine (A word from the past). "Eh mind oh Gillie "?

Just now, Blue4evr said:

Yeh, there certainly was. Think I still have one somewhere. 

6 minutes ago, Blue4evr said:

Very kind tribute from you Sir. Thank you. Due to Bill Brown, Gilzean and John Duncan going South all those years ago, Spurs have always been my favourite English team and the team I always watch on TV. I've never managed to see them in the flesh, I'll maybe make a point of it in the new stadium. Good luck to you too next season. Would love to see you win the title.

We have a lot of Scottish fans because of Gillie, MacKay, White, Duncan, Archibald and may others. 

Thanks for your good wishes. Appreciated.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blue4evr said:

Robin Grimmond wrote it

Really sad day! My all time boyhood football hero. I have seen no one like him since and don't expect to see the like of him again. A true legend. I watched him as a young laddie and fulfilled a dream in meeting him several times over the past few years, the last time only last year at the Whitehall when he signed my copy of Kenny Ross's Dundee Champions of Scotland 1961-62. IMO he was the best of that team playing wise and along side Sir Bobby Cox as an inspiration to the team (and me). Can't think of anything else to say that has not been said by other posters so RIP Alan you meant a lot to me! Thanks for the memories, the greatest header of a ball I have ever seen. I will not see the like again.

• Love 1
  • Like 4
  • Star Post 1