Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Legend: Gillie

1 hour ago, dblair said:

https://dundeefc.co.uk/news/alan-gilzean-1938-2018/

Top Overall Scorer – 169 goals in 190 competitive games.
Top Scorer In One Season – 52 goals in 1963/64.
Top European Scorer – 9 goals.
Top Scorer In One Game – 7 goals against Queen of the South. in 1962. (Record shared with Bert Juliussen)
Top Successive Scorer – 7 goals in 7 consecutive games. (January 1st to February 1st 1964)
Top Hat-Trick Scorer- 17 hat-tricks.

Should surely add to that, that he scored 4 goals in a famous 5-1 win at Ibrox against a top Rangers team. Has that ever been repeated?

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

RIP Alan Gilzean.... too young to have seen him play but have heard stories and seen footage of just how great he was! His goal scoring stats for us are unreal and unlikely to ever be matched! Read the book “In search of Alan Gilzean” a few years back.... definitely worth reading! Proper Dundee FC legend ❤️

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blue4evr said:

Should surely add to that, that he scored 4 goals in a famous 5-1 win at Ibrox against a top Rangers team. Has that ever been repeated?

I doubt it and A Rangers fan of my acquaintance is still hurting about it.Quite how that back heel flick for his third or fourth works I still cant figure out-a bit like Alan cousins trademark double shuffle-sheer magic.I was not at the Ibrox match but still remember waiting and waiting for the result coming through on the old BBC Teleprinter .

BBC news Scotland did a short but incompetent piece tonight and particularly I did not miss that they showed some (very porr quality) footage from the Killie semi final at Ibrox in 1964,a 4-0 win against an excellent Killie team,a performance which I have felt was one of the most clinical and brilliant.I did not know BBC had that footage since while some has survived a lot was destroyed .

• Like 2

Yes naming a stand at Dens Park would be a Great idea. Maybe a bity soon to think about stuff like this but I was hoping that Dundee FC will give a proper and fitting tribute at a Premier League match (preferably if possible a TV match) and not at a League Cup match in front of a smallish crowd.

Another idea on a smaller scale would be a  Commemorative Shirt (My thoughts would be.... that recently talked about shirt  in the "All White" kit that Dundee  famously wore against AC Milan in 63 at Dens) The money from sales could go to charity etc.

Anyway just  couple of ideas !

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, dfcman said:

I doubt it and A Rangers fan of my acquaintance is still hurting about it.Quite how that back heel flick for his third or fourth works I still cant figure out-a bit like Alan cousins trademark double shuffle-sheer magic.I was not at the Ibrox match but still remember waiting and waiting for the result coming through on the old BBC Teleprinter .

BBC news Scotland did a short but incompetent piece tonight and particularly I did not miss that they showed some (very porr quality) footage from the Killie semi final at Ibrox in 1964,a 4-0 win against an excellent Killie team,a performance which I have felt was one of the most clinical and brilliant.I did not know BBC had that footage since while some has survived a lot was destroyed .

seen  that a few times but the bit they showed was all wrong.

My young lad asked Gillie about his time at Spurs and if he’d ever played at Wembley. The look on his face when Gillie said, with a huge grin and immense pride I might add, that he had indeed graced Wembley and was 3 for 3, winning an FA Cup and 2 League Cups is something that will live with me forever, utterly star struck he was and hanging on every word.

• Like 3

Last night I went over old match reports.

Here is sample.

6 first half goals v Q.O.S.

4 Second half goals v Rangers.

4 Second half goals v Hibs at Easter Road in 0-4 win that included a 20 minute hat trick.

A 15 minute second half hat trick against Raith in a 2-4 win at Starks park -after being two down at half time

Gillie was a goal machine at Dens.Phenomenal.What a player he was.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, offshoredee said:

Another bit of our history gone....from a personal point of view another link to my old fella gone as well....he raved about Gillie....💙

Yes it made me think of my dad too. But he never took me to Dens! Said I wasn't interested but if he'd taken me just once.... I was 10 in 1962. Ah well... 

Adblock Detected