Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Foreign Journeymen

eyeothedug

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

When we're on a limited budget, it's difficult to know what way to go to progress.

It seems to me these days, any Young Scotish Player that displays an ounce o' talent is drawn down to/or even snapped up by, those guys from doo sooth. Scottish players (maybe understanably & no surprisingly) are tempted by the idea ogf greater success & much more money ... And the smaller clubs up here have to swallow the bulet ... as weel as the few pennies on offer, for what can be a player that might turn out to be something special.

It must be demoralising for most Clubs in Scotland ... Selling-on players (below true/fair value) ..And then buying (possibly mediocre players) above value)

Can't say I'm fearful about the fact we've signed guys from abroad. It's not as if the old braveheart spirit has prevented us from being embarrassed in the recent past.

Nine of the XI who started in the 7-0 home defeat to Aberdeen were from the British Isles. Nine of the XI who started in the 6-2 game were Scots.

28 minutes ago, eyeothedug said:

I feel we are signing too many foreign journeymen type players. We should be focusing more on the best of Scottish young talent. I just don't feel NM's approach is right to make us competitive. I hope I am wrong.

24 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Aye is a wee worry but we dont know yet. I also do feel we pluck guys out of thin air and hope we have done reaearch not just look at a dvd and a weeks trial. I would prefer is to be scouring the lower leagues for the best  who can step up like Bobby Connor, John Brown and Keith Wright.

21 minutes ago, Spiritof62 said:

It's hard to disagree with this post

There are no individual match winners in the squad that I can see.

We are desperately needing a lift that only a couple of quality signings can supply.

Aye, NM should just get himself down the park and pluck a couple of lads and turn them into super stars. Either that or get himself down to Footballers 'R' Us and get a couple of great signings off the shelf. 

You boys make it sound very simple, if it was I'm sure more clubs would be doing it.

Try giving the guys a chance, none of us know what we've got although I bet NM has a better idea than the rest of us. Judge on results not predictions but feel free to cast it up if they're all sh1te. Its what we do unfortunately.

19 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Aye, NM should just get himself down the park and pluck a couple of lads and turn them into super stars. Either that or get himself down to Footballers 'R' Us and get a couple of great signings off the shelf. 

You boys make it sound very simple, if it was I'm sure more clubs would be doing it.

Try giving the guys a chance, none of us know what we've got although I bet NM has a better idea than the rest of us. Judge on results not predictions but feel free to cast it up if they're all sh1te. Its what we do unfortunately.

It is simple. Scouting system plus doing the miles.

I am not criticising our signings but other clubs are more successful than us with similar or less resources. St. Johnstone, Motherwell to name just two

29 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

You miss the main point of the post...I say that we should be focusing on the Scottish lower leagues. Remember John Brown, Keith Wright and Bobby Connor? It has nothing to do with footballers are us.

39 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

It is simple. Scouting system plus doing the miles.

I am not criticising our signings but other clubs are more successful than us with similar or less resources. St. Johnstone, Motherwell to name just two

Not sure that's the case, we've unearthed some over the years too. Now, anyone who can kick a ball at the age of 10 gets hoovered up generally and get seduced by the bigger clubs. I'm not saying we're doing everything we can or everything right but we took a chance on a part timer from Cowdenbeath a couple of years back.

32 minutes ago, eyeothedug said:

You miss the main point of the post...I say that we should be focusing on the Scottish lower leagues. Remember John Brown, Keith Wright and Bobby Connor? It has nothing to do with footballers are us.

I get your point, everyone else is looking for them too so its not as simple. We beat the herd to El Bak and we were all creaming our junior Y's, roll on a couple of years......

Honestly, from time to time a club might hit a good bit of form, our neighbours did for a few years, if you want we can break down the why's but it fell away. There are no absolutes in this. I don't think we're a million miles away from other clubs, we're all fishing in the same small well and those that are more established/better reputations will likely be more successful in getting both youth and lower league players. The flipside of this is how many clubs in Scotland could have got Steven Caulker to sign ?

8 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Not sure that's the case, we've unearthed some over the years too. Now, anyone who can kick a ball at the age of 10 gets hoovered up generally and get seduced by the bigger clubs. I'm not saying we're doing everything we can or everything right but we took a chance on a part timer from Cowdenbeath a couple of years back.

I get your point, everyone else is looking for them too so its not as simple. We beat the herd to El Bak and we were all creaming our junior Y's, roll on a couple of years......

Honestly, from time to time a club might hit a good bit of form, our neighbours did for a few years, if you want we can break down the why's but it fell away. There are no absolutes in this. I don't think we're a million miles away from other clubs, we're all fishing in the same small well and those that are more established/better reputations will likely be more successful in getting both youth and lower league players. The flipside of this is how many clubs in Scotland could have got Steven Caulker to sign ?

You might have be creaming over El Bak. I wasn't :)

Adblock Detected